Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan, please add the following to your sig:

DISCLAIMER: GOOG owner.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• At most you could attribute a 2 percentage point fall to Microsoft's bid. GOOG closed Friday about $11.50 down from Thursday's after-hours trading.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• So you do own GOOG.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• If I owned GOOG, Microsoft's bid would be no less retarded.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I'm just trying to understand why you're trying to mislead people.

Comment

• Is this an admission that longtime Apolyton poster "Googlie" is indeed on the admin's payroll?
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

You're rather naive aren't you
                Naïve? No. Just stupidly idealistic.
                B♭3

Comment

• The response to Microsoft's bid is interesting. Microsoft would wish to define the market very broadly, so that it looks like it has a small share. This is the reason why Microsoft put out the $40 billion internet advertising figure.

Microsoft's competitors would seek to break down the deal into several different markets. F.e., Tim O'Reilly and Google look specifically at the apps space.

Now, next, and beyond: Tracking need-to-know trends at the intersection of business and technology

Of course, the regulatory risks of the deal would be raised substantially if O'Reilly's view of the market holds sway. Would it still be a good deal if Microsoft has to spin off Yahoo Mail and YIM?

Comment

• Apparently, Yahoo is unsatisfied with the amount of money that Microsoft offered.

One problem with the Microsoft bid is that Yahoo could do a business deal with Google quickly instead of an ownership deal with Microsoft that would take years to accomplish and thereby remain independent. Here's the latest from FT...

“A fight is brewing, Jerry Yang doesn’t like to be squeezed,” says a person familiar with the situation.
                    “There are strategic options that could maintain Yahoo’s independence,” said the person. “Yahoo wouldn’t rule out Microsoft’s offer, but there are regulatory and valuation issues – it’s too low a price.”

Among the possibilities believed to be on the table are a move to monetise Yahoo’s holdings in China and Japan and the outsourcing of search to Google. This would allow Mr Yang to focus on the rest of Yahoo’s content and advertising network, said the person, while perhaps appeasing shareholders and analysts who have appealed for more drastic action to realise the value in Yahoo’s assets.

“Jerry Yang wants to build a network strategy. He wants to create one big open [advertising] exchange and search is only a piece of that.”

Yahoo is a distant second to Google in search. It had 17.7 per cent of US searches in December, according to Nielsen Online, compared to a 56.3 per cent market share for Google.

Handing over search to Google would relieve Yahoo of development and marketing costs, while earning it a portion of the money Google charges advertisers when ads are clicked on in the Yahoo network.

Jeff Lindsay, Sanford Bernstein analyst, advocated such a move last month. He also estimated that Yahoo’s holdings, principally Alibaba in China and Yahoo Japan, were worth about $17.6bn – $13.24 a share or 55 per cent of Yahoo’s market capitalisation at the time.

Comment

• "years to accomplish"?

Every estimate I saw said it could all be done by the 2nd half of this year.

Source, please.

Comment

• 2nd half of this year? An agreement hasn't even been signed. The clock hasn't even started ticking on the regulatory review.

Comment

• Yes, but the lawyers involved have estimate end of this year for it all to clear. Thats been in almost all of the articles.
                          I wonder where you get this "years" business?

Comment

• From the OP:

Microsoft said it believes the transaction could receive the necessary regulatory approvals by the second half of this year.

Comment

• Doubleclick is 10 months from agreement and counting. End-of-the-year certainly seems ambitious for Yahoo. This is even assuming that the courts don't have their own review of this.

Comment

• A good article about the bid from AdAge...

Comment

Working...
                                X