X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

Microsoft Bids $44.6 Billion for Yahoo

By MIGUEL HELFT

SAN FRANCISCO — Microsoft said Friday that it has made an offer to buy Yahoo for about $44.6 billion, or $31 a share, in a mix of cash and stock.

The offer represents a 62 percent premium over Yahoo’s closing stock price of $19.18 on Thursday.

If consummated, the deal would redraw the competitive landscape of the Internet consumer services business, where both Microsoft and Yahoo have struggled to compete with Google.

Microsoft said the combination of the two companies would create efficiencies that would save approximately $1 billion annually. The software giant also said that it has an integration plan to include employees of both companies and intends to offer incentives to retain Yahoo employees.

"We have great respect for Yahoo!, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market," said Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, in a statement.

"We believe our combination will deliver superior value to our respective shareholders and better choice and innovation to our customers and industry partners," he said.

Microsoft said it planned to work closely with Yahoo’s board of directors as they evaluate this, apparently, unsolicited offer.

Despite their heavy investments in online services, both Yahoo and Microsoft have watched Google extend its dominance over Internet search and the lucrative online advertising business that goes along with it.

In recent months, Yahoo has struggled to develop a plan to turn around the company under co-founder Jerry Yang, who was appointed chief executive amid growing shareholder dissatisfaction last summer.

Yahoo investors, however, remain skeptical. The company’s shares have slumped and before the bid were trading at levels not seen in more than three years.

Earlier this week, Yahoo said it would cut 1,000 jobs in an effort to refocus the company and reduce spending, and issued an outlook for 2008 that disappointed investors.

It is not clear how Yahoo’s board will react to Microsoft’s offer.

Microsoft said it believes the transaction could receive the necessary regulatory approvals by the second half of this year.

Ooooooooooooooo.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Just because Microsoft can't afford to buy Google.
    Last edited by Krill; February 1, 2008, 09:59.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I don't think they could legally buy Google in any case.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Microsoft said the combination of the two companies would create efficiencies that would save approximately $1 billion annually. The software giant also said that it has an integration plan to include employees of both companies and intends to offer incentives to retain Yahoo employees.

They'll save a billion with no job losses.

Yep.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Bleh.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
            They'll save a billion with no job losses.

Yep.
            At the rate Yahoo is going, there won't be too many jobs to lose.

Comment

Yahoo blows. Microsoft can have it.

Comment

I know MS is trying to beef up its internet real estate portfolio but that seems like a lot of money for a second rate portal and search engine. Then again targeted ads are the future of internet profitability so maybe what they really want is the costumer data base and data mining.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                  Yahoo blows. Microsoft can have it.
                  That was pretty much my original thought; who uses Yahoo for anything that Google and MS don't offer already?
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                    Just because Microsoft can't afford to by Google.
                    haha. GAHAHAHA

ya, i dont ever use yahoo i forgot all about it actually
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

That's a pretty generous premium over the share price.

If the net result is that I never have to hear that stupid yodeled Yahoo! commercial tag again, I'm all for it.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Why Microsoft believes this to be a good buy is beyond me. If Yang can't maximize Yahoo's value, does anyone believe Ballmer could do better?
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          Why Microsoft believes this to be a good buy is beyond me. If Yang can't maximize Yahoo's value, does anyone believe Ballmer could do better?
                          It's a desperation move by a company that is scared ****less of Google. After all that money they poured into their own portal, which nobody really uses.

After the Vista failure (among other recent LOLs), they need to do something better than a ten thousand dollar vaporware multitouch restaurant menu.

****ing useless company run by useless people who never had an original idea of their own.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            Since when did Microsoft buy companies to maximize the target's value?
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              After the Vista failure (among other recent LOLs)
                              Vista failure? You serious?

MS' quarterly profit dwarfs Apple's.
                              Vista's sold over 100 million copies in a year.
                              They just raised their expectations for the next year at the same time Apple lowered theirs.
                              And you call Vista a failure? Not only a failure, but an "LOL failure"?

This is why you're stuck in academia, Agathon.

****ing useless company run by useless people who never had an original idea of their own.
                              MS is the #1 company in terms of patents granted on a yearly basis, so I don't think this is quite right.

Apple hasn't had an original idea in a long time, that I can recall. Can you think of one?

Comment

Working...
                              X