Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    I didn't know Microsoft's core business was in search advertising. Go figure.
    Microsoft is paying top dollar to compete in this space. Despite this, they are losing ground to Google.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Microsoft is paying top dollar to compete in this space. Despite this, they are losing ground to Google.
      And Google isn't? Did Google not buy doubleclick?

Google is doing fantastically well, but to say Google is slapping MS around in the market only applies to internet ads. And to be honest, I've no idea why MS wants in on that ****.

Then again, I hold nothing but contempt for people in the ad business. I fastforward through ads on TV, I block them on the net...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Google is doing fantastically well, but to say Google is slapping MS around in the market only applies to internet ads. And to be honest, I've no idea why MS wants in on that ****.
        Isn't internet ads what Microsoft is paying $44.3 billion for?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Did someone deny that?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I can understand why Microsoft would want in on it, but paying 36x free cash flow on a business that's growing 8% per annum... Wow.

Clearly you do not understand what Yahoo brings to the table.

Comment

And to be honest, I've no idea why MS wants in on that ****.
              Maybe because it's over a 10 Billion dollar business, and is expected to grow exponentially

Then again, I hold nothing but contempt for people in the ad business. I fastforward through ads on TV, I block them on the net...
              And many people hold nothing but contempt for people who troll forums
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                Maybe because it's over a 10 Billion dollar business, and is expected to grow exponentially
                10 billion? That's it? Child's play!

And many people hold nothing but contempt for people who troll forums
                You gotta do what you gotta do, Ming.

You sell cigarettes to children, I smack around Agathon...we all play our roles.

Comment

You sell cigarettes to children,
                  And do you rape little boys?
                  Your statement is like me making the above statement
                  Neither are true... well I know your statement wasn't...

Because frankly, I only do Business to Business advertising and I have never and will never work on a tobacco account.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

I can understand why Microsoft would want in on it, but paying 36x free cash flow on a business that's growing 8% per annum... Wow.

Clearly you do not understand what Yahoo brings to the table.
                    Microsoft won't stop being pushed around by Google in internet ads by purchasing Yahoo. Agreed?

Comment

Ah, come on. It was a good touch. Don't be ungracious.

Comment

Rape is a crime of power, not sexuality.

Your statement is like me making the above statement
                        Neither are true... well I know your statement wasn't...
                        So you deny that the ad business ever sold cigarettes to children?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Microsoft won't stop being pushed around by Google in internet ads by purchasing Yahoo. Agreed?
                          Probably not, but I don't follow the business enough to care. It's incredibly dull and not worthy of any interest to me.

Comment

So you deny that the ad business ever sold cigarettes to children?
                            No... I don't... But you said "I" did... which I do deny.
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

No... I don't... But you said "I" did... which I do deny.
                              I was speaking in general terms, you as an ad man.

What kind of B2B advertising is there?

"NEW NEW NEW CLICK HERE TO REGISTER THE NEW .SEX DOMAIN NAMES FOR YOUR ADULT FILM SHOP?"

Comment

Let's move the discussion from Apple back to search engines. The Apple-bashing threads are in the Tech subforum.

Question: Since when does it make sense to dis any company based on one-day stock price fluctuations?
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X