No announcement yet.

Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft is investing a lot of money in R and D. Hence the patents. But the R and D is one thing, and the actual products are another. What is the percentage of the R and D that actually goes or will go in the products? I don't know. But I can think of a couple of factors that could prevent those innovations from being implemented in an actual product. For example, Microsoft being big and bloated, with a couple of company divisions competing to further their divergent interests. I don't have a concrete example, but I'm sure it happens. If it can happen to Sony, I'm sure it can happen to MS.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

When it comes to business decisions, I would not bet against Microsoft, ever. No matter what you may argue about the quality of their products, they are a business monster. That's how they got where they are today. If they think $44.6 billion is a good deal for Yahoo, then it probably is.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You have way too much respect for these folks, che. They are being pushed around in the marketplace by Google.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

$44.6 billion is more then the GDP of 121 countries in nominal terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            You can laugh all you want at Yahoo (which I do) and they do suck right now, but they are still in second place when it comes to getting search advertising dollars. You combine that with MS's own third ranked search engine, and they probably think they will be able to compete against google.... and pigs fly

A classic case of if you can't beat em, buy em
            Yep. Seems like Yahoo is very valuable to MS to me. Obviously there are benefits there that most people can't see.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Respect isn't what I'd call it. They created an empire off of crappy products. They should have gone the way of Wang, but their incredible business acumen turned them into a virtual monopoly. Granted, part of their business model included breaking the law and getting lucky in government, but, hey, that's part of business.

Google is a one trick pony, it's just a damned good trick. They are all advertising based. Google does not compete with MS' core business, which is OS and apps, at least not yet anyway. Please, if MS can afford to shell out 44.6 billion, it ain't hurting.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                You have way too much respect for these folks, che. They are being pushed around in the marketplace by Google.
                Google? The company whose shares are down 8.5% today because their profits missed the target? Really?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, if MS wants a battle, and they can't get Google... Yahoo! is the next the get so... I don't see why they shouldn't do this. It's a different thing if they want to enter this battle. But if they want that, IMO this is the thing to do. At what cost, time and so forth, that's another issue, and what they want to actually do with it.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

In 2007, Google had 75% of US search advertising, up 15 percentage points in a single year.

Yes, Google is pushing Yahoo and Microsoft around.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

so far the press I've seen has been favorable. With Google buying double click they're fast become the internet advertising monster and supposedly Google is eying Microsoft's lucrative Office Suite with online applications. I guess Microsoft wants to be as strong as possible in challenging Google on its home turf (internet advertising & searching) before Google can create a virtual monopoly.

Though I'd argue that Google's large market share isn't really a monopoly since it is very easy to switch internet portals but extremely hard for businesses to switch their entire software systems. The biggest threat, I guess, would be if Google's free apps (assuming they ever arrive) bit into Microsoft's market share causing them to lose profits.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        In 2007, Google had 75% of US search advertising, up 15 percentage points in a single year.

Yes, Google is pushing Yahoo and Microsoft around.
                        I didn't know Microsoft's core business was in search advertising. Go figure.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's about time

Microsoft needed to do something bold, and this is bold. It is pricey, though.

Yahoo's advantage over Google is that most of its 190m users are registered members, while most of Google's 275m users are strangers. MS is probably banking on making something of this fact.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The key is original idea. Please read properly before making snarky comments, otherwise it backfires just like this.

Do you think the iPod was an original idea?
                            The iPhone an original idea?
                            Multi-touch an original idea?

The answer is "no", across the board.
                            I agree that Apple fans who claim that Apple innovates and that Microsoft merely copies are full of ****. But come on, you have to give Apple some credit!

Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, but I believe they perfected it with a couple of innovations that made it more appealing to consumers. For one, they were more user-friendly than the competition.

Yes, even though Apple didn't come up with the multi-touch, I do believe that the iPhone was an original idea. They took an existing idea and made something useful out of it.
                            Last edited by Nostromo; February 1, 2008, 11:58.
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                              I agree that Apple fans who claim that Apple innovates and that Microsoft merely copies are full of ****. But come on, you have to give Apple some credit!

Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, but I believe they perfected it with a couple of innovations that made it more appealing to consumers. For one, they were more user-friendly than the competition.
                              You are completely missing the point. The point is Agathon's comment about ORIGINAL IDEAS. Yes, Apple is very good at making slick, polished, attractive END USER PRODUCTS but that is in no way the same as an ORIGINAL IDEA.

Please don't confuse the two.

Yes, even though Apple didn't come up with the multi-touch, I do believe that the iPhone was an original idea. The took an existing idea and made something useful out of it.
                              How the hell can it be original when there have been all-touchscreen smartphones before it?

Comment

I got an unlocked LG Venus phone with touch screen for just $190. It isn't head to head a competitor of the IPhone but at less then half the price it is a darn good deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X