Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo rejected the offer.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• This might become somewhat interesting then.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• The WSJ is reporting that the board is holding out for $40+ per share -- or a 38% increase from the current ~ $29 per share offer.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit

I find this a little scary. I mean, Google does not have a tangible product.
          Banks don't have a tangible product either, yet they're one of the oldest and biggest businesses around. AFAIK The majority of Cisco's business is intangible as well actually.

That doesn't mean you were right to consider the entire advertising market as a potential business for Google though, Dan, no matter how many avatars you throw at me, but, but, but anyhow.

And your explanation for MS's venture into hardware still isn't making sense either, other than imperialism. You could have lost plenty of bets if only I had chosen the right ones.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Yeh, well then, next time, choose the right bets.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DanS; February 10, 2008, 07:35.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

Google certainly has monopolistic potential as well, and I'm honestly somewhat surprised the doubleclick merger went through; but the fact that MS has Windows and IE is a significant element and cannot be ignored.
              Google has very limited monopolistic potential. Microsoft's "success" has been predicated solely upon network externalities. They controlled the original PC operating system which ended up being a business standard and parlayed that standard into the Windows monopoly. They used the Windows virtual monopoly to establish another virtual monopoly with the Office suite.

Pretty much everything else Microsoft has done has been a critical and commercial failure. It's a company that lives off of an anticompetitive monopoly. Users have paid the price because the authorities failed to split the company up in the face of massive malfeasance to preserve its monopoly.

In each of the former cases network externalities meant that moving from a Microsoft product imposed significant costs on a user, even if a competitor's product was cheaper or superior or both.

Google products have no such network externalities. Swapping a search engine costs nothing. I swapped myself when I started using Google. No other company has given me reason to swap away from Google, although I could easily do so. I stopped using my GMail account as my primary email account a long time ago, and I have anything that is sent to it forwarded to my new account. This costs nothing to do. Google documents can be exported into a number of popular formats, none of which are controlled by Google. Nor are you forced to use a slate of Google products. Many people use Google search whilst utilizing other companies' mail or news services. On the other hand, if you are using MS Office it is often a pain to mix and match (trust me, I have tried).

There's very little tying people to Google other than quality and familiarity. Certainly, there are no massive network externalities as there are in Microsoft's case. The very limited music lock in that Apple has with iTunes is actually stiffer than what Google has (and apart from a subset of purchased music, iTunes only uses open file formats).
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• There it is again, the same argument from Agathon's last dozen posts in a dozen different threads.

Apolyton's got itself a new one-trick pony, folks.

By the way, Aggie dear, if Apple only used truly "open format", iTMS products would be playable on other systems than Apple's. People have told you this over many years, I've lectured you on this repeatedly myself. I don't understand why this still remains a difficult concept for you. You seem to try to acknowledge this by saying a "subset" of music on iTMS is DRM-protected, but that's a very poor word choice..."vast majority" is more accurate and less misleading. Try making one post without being blatantly misleading on the topic.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  This starts to feel like a horizontal monopoly. I'm not sure it is one - but it has much more potential to be one than Google, which up to now has stayed entirely in the 4. and 5. group.

You don't think a massive amount of people have Google as their homepage?

You also need to look past the obvious: Google has lots of agreements and employees working on Firefox code as well, and is developing OSes themselves. They're not there yet, but they're a young ambitious company.
                  Firefox is the best browser. Big enough to get support from most sites but small enough to not get the attention of most malware. Plus it is open code.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Either way, Microsoft is doomed. That's why Bill Gates and Jeff Raikes bailed out. Ambitious and successful founders do not abandon their babies if they see hope.

Microsoft today is one step away from the dilbertesque organizational nightmare, it's not quite there yet, but pointed-haired bosses are clearly on the advance.

Comment

• Bill Gates still owns huge portions of Microsoft and isn't selling.

He stepped down from a leadership role, which is very different from saying he "bailed out". Figure it out.

Comment

• MSFT falls another 2% (~ $5 billion) this morning, presumably in anticipation of an increased bid.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                          Yeh, well then, next time, choose the right bets.
                          What's that image?
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• An ad for a zombie flick. 28 Days. I think the bet was for an avatar for a month.

Comment

• Ok, ok, ok.

So your definition of a month is 28 days, right?

Comment

• Well, I guess this year, it's 29 days. Normal February would be 28 days.

Edit: My bad, the movie's 28 Days Later, not 28 Days, which looks like a chick flick.

Comment

Working...
                                X