CBS News Report on U.S. Military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wezil
    And again you are wrong. Read the damn thread. I support gays in the military. Geez.
    Why in the hell are you responding to me then? I gotta read all of your posts now because you responded to my post? Sheesh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
      Why in the hell are you responding to me then? I gotta read all of your posts now because you responded to my post? Sheesh!
      B/c as Imran pointed out:

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know..
      - Walter Sobchak in the Big Lebowski

Your post made no sense in the context of the thread you had not even read.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• the subject is gays in the military, and I support that and said so. That makes no sense to you? You responded to me because of something Imran said after you responded? You seem to think, or at least argued, that gays should not be allowed in the military because women dont want to shower with men.

Comment

• Never mind Berz. The thread will speak for itself for anyone that chooses to read it.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
            but why does he care about his right to join the military?
            Is this a serious question?

I do not need to have any personal interest in joining any U.S. military branch to have a passionate concern for equal rights for gays and lesbians.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Oh, and I'd like to give thumbs up to Pat and Wezil for presenting counter-arguments and valid points I haven't really thought of before, in a respectful way, with no intention of insulting gay men.

Comment

• Given more time I'm sure I could manage it.

Comment

• uh huh

Comment

• Never mind Berz. The thread will speak for itself for anyone that chooses to read it.
                    I dont see your answers to my questions in this thread

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

Is this a serious question?

I do not need to have any personal interest in joining any U.S. military branch to have a passionate concern for equal rights for gays and lesbians.
                      mkay... Why would THEY wan't to join the military when they are obviously not wanted there?
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I imagine the same reason women and blacks joined, they see it as an honor to serve.

Comment

mkay... Why would THEY wan't to join the military when they are obviously not wanted there?

Again, is this suppose to another serious question?

Berz already alluded to it, but let me add my own two cents. Just as in the past when blacks and women were not welcomed into the U.S. military, there were still blacks and women who wanted to make inroads into the military for the economic opportunities and educational opportunities military service provides.

These are the same reasons that some gay men and lesbians have been interested in serving in the U.S. military.

Comment

Again, is this suppose to another serious question?
                            Actually it was a rhetorical question.
                            Berz already alluded to it, but let me add my own two cents. Just as in the past when blacks and women were not welcomed into the U.S. military, there were still blacks and women who wanted to make inroads into the military for the economic opportunities and educational opportunities military service provides.

These are the same reasons that some gay men and lesbians have been interested in serving in the U.S. military.
                            Yes, I can understand if you don't want to sit at the back of the bus, but I don't understand why you would want to join the military and serve a country that doesn't treat you as an equal citizen.

Comment

Actually it was a rhetorical question.

Yes, I can understand if you don't want to sit at the back of the bus, but I don't understand why you would want to join the military and serve a country that doesn't treat you as an equal citizen.
                              I just explained to you why not only some gay men and lesbians are interested, but why blacks and women have been interested also. Read my posts!

Once members of minority groups are accepted into military forces, they have often shown themselves to be more than capable of serving and they help undermine prejudice and bigotry. One example; U.S. black Union soldiers in the Civil War who did much good for their people when wearing the blue uniform while armed with a rifle.

The fact that there already are gay men and lesbians in the U.S. military has already helped undermine some of the homophobia among the ranks and higher-ranking offficers. In fact, I think it might become the case that the last entrenched resistance against open acceptance will come from the Pentagon and Washington DC, not from within the military itself.

So, in addition to the two reasons I ALREADY provided for you (economic and educational opportunities) minority group members have a chance to fight prejudice and bigotry by serving in U.S. military forces. In the beginning, there may be unequal treatment and mistreatment, but one endures this, find ways to resist, and overcome it, and then you come to serve as an equal.

Comment

I just explained to you why not only some gay men and lesbians are interested, but why blacks and women have been interested also. Read my posts!
                                I read your dang posts dude. I think it's stupid. You don't need to explain it over again to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X