No announcement yet.

CBS News Report on U.S. Military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well hell. I didn't know. It was possible. Unlikey maybe, but possible.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.
      - Barry Goldwater

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• My military experience has been roughly the same as Patroklos' - deployments as a division officer on US Navy surface combatants (though he's still in, I'm not). While I can only echo his comments about the problems inherent in leading and managing a bunch of 18-25yrolds on a ship underway for months at a time, I don't happen to agree that homosexuals should not be allowed in ships' companies. It seems to me that with "Don't ask don't tell" and the resulting rule (after the initial settling) of essentially having military members getting booted mostly on their own volition (going by a fellow Patroklos and I both know that processes separation), that there's de facto integration right now.

Yes, onboard sexual fraternization is going to be a discipline problem until someone comes up with a daily saltpeter ration or some similar mandatory toning down of hormones, and I'm no happier than Patroklos in giving Seaman Jones another way in which to be stupid, but in the end I don't think it has enough operational impact to warrant denying 5% (or 50%, with respect to females) the ability to serve in the military.

As far as the pregnancy issue, it's definitely a more serious problem than it is in corporate America, and can be dealt with in a more serious way - mandatory chemical contraceptives for anyone at risk of pregnancy, from just before the end of workups to just before the end of the deployment. And at that point if someone becomes pregnant during the blackout period, it is treated as an equivalent to desertion under the UCMJ.

Comment

• Igloodude sighting!

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Yeah, I figured I'd hang out here waiting for the next gun thread to show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Igloodude
              Yeah, I figured I'd hang out here waiting for the next gun thread to show up.
              Guns are so yesterday. Tasers are all the rage these days.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

My military experience has been roughly the same as Patroklos' - deployments as a division officer on US Navy surface combatants (though he's still in, I'm not). While I can only echo his comments about the problems inherent in leading and managing a bunch of 18-25yrolds on a ship underway for months at a time, I don't happen to agree that homosexuals should not be allowed in ships' companies. It seems to me that with "Don't ask don't tell" and the resulting rule (after the initial settling) of essentially having military members getting booted mostly on their own volition (going by a fellow Patroklos and I both know that processes separation), that there's de facto integration right now.

Yes, onboard sexual fraternization is going to be a discipline problem until someone comes up with a daily saltpeter ration or some similar mandatory toning down of hormones, and I'm no happier than Patroklos in giving Seaman Jones another way in which to be stupid, but in the end I don't think it has enough operational impact to warrant denying 5% (or 50%, with respect to females) the ability to serve in the military.

As far as the pregnancy issue, it's definitely a more serious problem than it is in corporate America, and can be dealt with in a more serious way - mandatory chemical contraceptives for anyone at risk of pregnancy, from just before the end of workups to just before the end of the deployment. And at that point if someone becomes pregnant during the blackout period, it is treated as an equivalent to desertion under the UCMJ.
                Thanks for this post, but . . . .

who are you?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

Thanks for this post, but . . . .

who are you?
                  I'm me. Who are you?

Comment

• Wezil
                    Men and women together Berz? If the women feel uncomfortable that's their problem?
                    Men and women serve together now

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
                      Wezil

He means in the facilities used by the soldiers and officers; like showers and restrooms.

Comment

I'm me. Who are you?
                        You're a Settler and I'm a King.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil

Guns are so yesterday. Tasers are all the rage these days.

Let's don't be so hasty. We can threadjack Mr. Fun;s thread for a second. I'm going to buy new rifle and I have it down, I think, to a .243 or 7 mm., although a .308 is also in the running. Maybe I should make this a poll.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand

Let's don't be so hasty. We can threadjack Mr. Fun;s thread for a second.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
                              Wezil

Okay Berz, make me spell it out... We were talking about shower facilities...

Should women and men in the military shower together? If the women are offended, tough luck?
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Okay Berz, make me spell it out... We were talking about shower facilities...
                                Well, quarters in general.
                                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X