CBS News Report on U.S. Military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patroklos
    So that brings up the question, how do you establish the same barriers between gay men/women that we have between straight men and women? Assuming of course we don't just absolve barriers completely, which lets face it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
    The barriers are that, since 90% of the berthing compartment is likely still going to be straight, and of that 90% you can bet your ass that a fairly substantial percentage are going to be more than passively disdainful of gay relations (hell there's a few that are still pissed that there's black people living with them), you have a whole bunch of people in the compartment that will report that sort of UCMJ violation to the MAA or XO pretty much instantly.

Comment

• What about staterooms?

And berthings are just in the Navy, what about barracks rooms and tents?

And that still leaves a double standard concerning men and women. Nor do I think relying on the double standard of sailors reporting gay relationships but not straight ones (they don't) is a good idea, though I concede that might in fact work.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Why don't you cover yourself? No one wants to see that, even gays.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Why don't you cover yourself? No one wants to see that, even gays.

Good idea. I suppose its totally cool to let teenage siblings of different sexes share rooms/showers to.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Good idea. I suppose its totally cool to let teenage siblings of different sexes share rooms/showers to.
            Oh ****, I didn't need to know who you share showers with.

Comment

• And with that lame attempt at a dodge, you fail

Let me post one of my favorite Kidicious quotes that seems appropriate given this most recent text based beat down he has endured.

"I am full of ****" -Kidicious

Comment

• Of course I never said teenage siblings should share showers or anything else that you have claimed that I have said you hack!

Comment

• Of course I never said teenage siblings should share showers or anything else that you have claimed that I have said you hack!
                  No, you said this.

Why don't you cover yourself? No one wants to see that, even gays.
                  Your positon is that modesty and general standards of sexual seperation, to include different sex siblings not sharing living quarters which is based on the same, can be circumvented by just requiring them to cover up during showers.

I never pegged you as the Puritain type, how does that mesh with your false communism?

Comment

• WTF?!

Why would anyone be opposed to siblings sharing living quarters? I'm certainly not. What does that have to do with you sharing showers with your shipmates?

Comment

What about staterooms?

It still applies - particularly among enlisted, there just isn't enough privacy to engage in that sort of behavior in actual sleeping areas; and the shared sleeping areas are really the only element that separates same-sex encounters from m/f encounters. The gay couple can pay the SH3 for some storeroom time just as easily as the m/f couple can.

And that still leaves a double standard concerning men and women. Nor do I think relying on the double standard of sailors reporting gay relationships but not straight ones (they don't) is a good idea, though I concede that might in fact work.
                      It's a double standard because the berthing arrangements are a double standard as well. "Fred and Joe get to sleep in the same compartment, but Bill and Amy don't!" "Yeah, but Bill and everyone else will report Fred and Joe if they screw around, but no one will report Bill and Amy."

There is an issue of chain locker justice being employed rather than reporting them, though. Have to keep an eye out for that.

Comment

• Why would anyone be opposed to siblings sharing living quarters? I'm certainly not.
                        Then you are wierd. Most people would have a very real problem with their 16 year old daughter and 17 year old son sharing a bedroom and showers (we are talking communal showers, this is the Navy). And that is even with them having the barrier of family/incest to overcome, which shipmates don't. Why all the fuss?

What does that have to do with you sharing showers with your shipmates?
                        So you are for disbanding the male/female living barriers as well?

Comment

So you are for disbanding the male/female living barriers as well?
                          Let's cut to the chase becaue you are so easy it's sad. There are already gays in the Navy sharing living quarters with you. If you are saying that you walk around in the buff that might very well lead someone to make certain conclusions.

Comment

• Oh, and just curious but do you come from a Southern Baptist upbringing? I would have no problem restraining myself from ****ing my sister if I shared a bedroom with her.

Comment

• There are already gays in the Navy sharing living quarters with you.
                              Of course, this is irrelevant. I realize you think you had some amzingly effective trump card, and were probably giggling to yourself with glee thinking you had been clever before you read this. Honestly dude, do you hold any position that isn't instanteously flayed when put into the light of day?

Yeah, I know this Kid, because I said this. RTFT.

Oh thats right, I am supposed to be one of those people who thinks gays are insatiable sex feinds who hump everything they see, right?

Comment

• Oh, and just curious but do you come from a Southern Baptist upbringing? I would have no problem restraining myself from ****ing my sister if I shared a bedroom with her.
                                Kid, why are you such a bigot? In any case, you probably wouldn't because you would go out of your way to not be there together when changing clothes and what not. In other words, you would defacto enforce a barrier regardless.

Most parents realize this, the concept being intuitive to everyone except you, and thus don't put the onus on their children to enforce this seperation.

Comment

Working...
                                X