No announcement yet.

In my opinion this is just murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Gepap, you aren't concerned that the murder rate in NYC is higher then for Texas as a whole?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      So Gepap, you aren't concerned that the murder rate in NYC is higher then for Texas as a whole?
      Why would he be? It's a freakin' city. And it's safer than any city in Texas.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Yeah, right.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• You klnow whats funny? From the title I thought the poster was saying that the murder was just.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin

If you don't know shooting unarmed people is murder then there isn't much hope for you.
            Actually its not necessarily murder in any number of situations

1. I am home when an intruder approaches me rapidly in the darkness-- I have a reasonable fear of my life-- not murder ( note that if a prosecutor could prove the bad guy was retreating so that there was no actual threat anymore, I could be technically guilty)

2. A large muscular man has cornered me and my wife in an alley and says he is going to kill us with his bare hands-- not murder

3. A tiny woman has her hands at the throat of our infant child-- I shoot her in the head

etc etc

In all cases I created situations where it would not be a murder in Canada. In other jurisdictions there may even be greater exceptions since I believe that Texas justified lethal force to "protect private property" ( I don't know if that remains accurate today )
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

1. I am home when an intruder approaches me rapidly in the darkness-- I have a reasonable fear of my life-- not murder ( note that if a prosecutor could prove the bad guy was retreating so that there was no actual threat anymore, I could be technically guilty)

2. A large muscular man has cornered me and my wife in an alley and says he is going to kill us with his bare hands-- not murder

3. A tiny woman has her hands at the throat of our infant child-- I shoot her in the head

etc etc

In all cases I created situations where it would not be a murder in Canada. In other jurisdictions there may even be greater exceptions since I believe that Texas justified lethal force to "protect private property" ( I don't know if that remains accurate today )
              I don,t think that is other people's propery after the fact. A State Tropper in Michigan told me that basically if you shoot a burglar/thief etc. they better fall down inside your residence.

I havn't been able to listen to te 911 call but I am not real sympathetic to theives that are killed in the process of a robbery. Especially at a residence.

Comment

etc etc

I don't think that applies to other people's propery after the fact. A State Trooper in Michigan told me that basically if you shoot a burglar/thief etc. they better fall down inside your residence.

I havn't been able to listen to the 911 call but I am not real sympathetic to theives that are killed in the process of a robbery. Especially at a residence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deity Dude

I don't think that applies to other people's propery after the fact. A State Trooper in Michigan told me that basically if you shoot a burglar/thief etc. they better fall down inside your residence.
                  and thats probably true for Michigan

Technically in Canada you could not shoot them even inside your residence if it was clear they were no threat-- it has to be self-defence-- Now I suspect a jury would cut you a lot of slack concerning your fear for your life . ..

Canada has one criminal code for the entire country

But the US has a different criminal code in every state IIRC . I remember being told that Texas for instance had something like a dozen different lawful justifications for killing someone ( I don't know how accurate that is )including things like " protection of private property" and " prevention of the commsission of a felony"-- If those things are in the statute, you could shoot the guy stealing your car in the back and not be guilty of murder
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

and thats probably true for Michigan

Technically in Canada you could not shoot them even inside your residence if it was clear they were no threat-- it has to be self-defence-- Now I suspect a jury would cut you a lot of slack concerning your fear for your life . ..

Canada has one criminal code for the entire country

But the US has a different criminal code in every state IIRC . I remember being told that Texas for instance had something like a dozen different lawful justifications for killing someone ( I don't know how accurate that is )including things like " protection of private property" and " prevention of the commsission of a felony"-- If those things are in the statute, you could shoot the guy stealing your car in the back and not be guilty of murder
                    I think we are kind of saying the same thing. I think it is defacto considred a theat if someone is inside your house against your will committing a felony. If it happens outside your house you probably have some explaining to do.

In the US each state has it own criminal codes for felonies and unless it involves some federal government official it is usually handled under the laws of the state where the crime is committed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Yeah, right.
                      Statistics don't lie, chump.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Statistics don't lie, chump.
                        That depends on who compiles the statistics.
                        "'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
                        'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

• Murder rates are tough to fudge. I do wonder if Texas includes capital punishment killings in their numbers though...

Sorry Sloww.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                            Murder rates are tough to fudge. I do wonder if Texas includes capital punishment killings in their numbers though...

Sorry Sloww.
                            Murder rates possibly but violent crime rates? no.

"'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
                            'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

• Include capital murder? Of course.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Reiko

Murder rates possibly but violent crime rates? no.
                                My reference was specific for a reason.

I'm suspicious of most crime stats but the murder rate is one that is pretty reliable. The cause of any particular rate is the argument...

Sloww - Well that must explain the higher murder rate in your much maligned state.
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X