No announcement yet.

In my opinion this is just murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please ban Moby again. He's still unfunny.
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
      Why else was CA even mentioned then Sherlock?
      He was saying that the dispatcher, despite being from Texas (and consequently not Cailfornia - hence the CA reference), was still against the whole vigilante thing.

California was mentioned because it's liberal, and so you'd expect a Californian dispatcher to not like shooting people, right? He was using the state as an example and nothing more.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I wonder if the dispatcher should have tried harder to explain to this guy that what he was about to do was considered "murder" and was not 'being a good neighbor"?

He had the guy on the phone for somewhere near 7 minutes didn't he? Maybe explaining the consequences of killing these robbers in stronger terms might have changed the outcome?

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not blaming the dispatcher.

I just wonder whether this call can now be used to help further training of dispatchers.

It's really the only good I can see coming from this.
        ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

I don't think any amount of convincing was going to change this guy's course of action.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
            was with what was typed was what was
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

He was saying that the dispatcher, despite being from Texas (and consequently not Cailfornia - hence the CA reference), was still against the whole vigilante thing.

California was mentioned because it's liberal, and so you'd expect a Californian dispatcher to not like shooting people, right? He was using the state as an example and nothing more.
              No he wasn't.

That's a desperate reach by a desperate person struggling to avoid admitting he's wrong.
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

(I was up all night with my sick daughter... besides, I got my point accross...whatever it was)

EDIT: It gets funnier the more you attempt to read it.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                  Well, from the article he was watching what's going on for some time and decided to shoot them when the police didn't arrive in time and the burglars tried to get away. I wouldn't call that prevention either. And if the police had been there it's the question if they just killed the guys instead of arresting them and leave the rest to the courts. Seems the guy armed with the shotgun didn't even consider the possibility of just keeping them in check until the cops arrive (when he was already in contact with them).
                  It was still a crime in progress, and again, the police can only really cleanup after the fact, attempt to catch the guy, attempt to recover the stolen goods,etc.

From another news source I heard that he called back with the "they were coming right for me!" defense of shooting them. From there it will be possible to determine what happened at the scene. If that happened he walks. If he shot them in the back as they were running off with his neighbor's stuff he probably still walks. If it can be proven that they were subdued when he killed them then it was murder and will be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    I don't think any amount of convincing was going to change this guy's course of action.
                    Maybe.

But, we will never know because it wasn't tried.

If, for example, the dispatcher said more sternly, "If you shoot them you will be a murderer and you will get the death penalty. Then all 3 of you will be dead!"

You know, something like that may have gotten his attention.
                    ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

The dispatcher would be making many presumptions if they said that.

From what I remember (I listened to this yesterday) the dispatch was quite insistant that the man not do what he did.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You're comparing a state to a city, thats not quite valid. Population density does play a part.
                        As does total population.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

and the demographic makeup of the population,etc,etc,etc. City to city though, with the numbers in per capita is the best you can really do.

Comment

"City" is meaningless as a category, as it has zero standards as to what that means.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

As does total population.
                              Again, NYC crime stats are for the city proper only, not the metro area.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                                The dispatcher would be making many presumptions if they said that.
                                So? The train of his conversation was unsuccesful and his attempt at communication was already breaking down by like the 3rd minute or so.

From what I remember (I listened to this yesterday) the dispatch was quite insistant that the man not do what he did.
                                I agree. He was insistant.

That was clearly not enough to contain the situation.

All I propose is that this 911 call be used to train future dispatchers to recognize when they are failing and when to use another approach to calm their given situations.

I hold this dispatcher blameless. His training was inadequate to the task. And maybe it can be improved.

But, then again, sometimes people just want to shoot other people
                                Last edited by uberloz; November 28, 2007, 12:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X