Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese sub plays Marco Polo with US Navy battle fleet... and wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dis could better explain this.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I think Impaler got it, they were using pretty much the same course for the Carrier group, and on the 11 billionth run through the Chinese put a sub in the pathway.

And this isn't the first time that the US has made this kind of mistake either.

Comment

See the F-117 shootdown during the Kosovo War.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
          I think Impaler got it, they were using pretty much the same course for the Carrier group, and on the 11 billionth run through the Chinese put a sub in the pathway.
          Nah, While it may sound as a reasonable explanation it probably isn't the truth.

Danish subs has often taken nice pics of US carriers though their periscopes when they shouldn't have been able to do such, so why shouldn't chinese subs not be able to do similiar ?

Here is an "camera attack" in a nato exercise on D.D. Eisenhower.

Attached Files
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

How is this breaking news or weird?

IMO it would be more weird if this didn't happen.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              How is this breaking news or weird?

IMO it would be more weird if this didn't happen.
              Pekka, stop making sense - that is not what we expect from you
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Not too surprising. If our leaders are naive enough to run a trade deficit by buying cheap plastic sh*t from China for 30+ years now, we're probably naive enough to think their navy isn't a threat.

Comment

BC, I always make sense. The only thing that differs is your capability of grasping it.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                    Not too surprising. If our leaders are naive enough to run a trade deficit by buying cheap plastic sh*t from China for 30+ years now, we're probably naive enough to think their navy isn't a threat.
                    No offense, but don't you find it more problematic that most US posters think that it's some accidential case instead of something common ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      BC, I always make sense. The only thing that differs is your capability of grasping it.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Carriers are obsolete, floating coffins, if a real war between industrial nations should break out.
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Or just the mere fact that people believe in "armies that can't be beaten". A super small subset of that would be "the ability to do small things" like this. If someone really believes this shouldn't be possible, man, wake up, illusions are getting the best of you.

First of all, this isn't weird, second of all, this doesn't mean the Chinese are going to attack. We've had fighters coming to our airspace from BOTH neighbouring countries in the last month, adn the Swedes were hunting (or Norwegians) some sub not long time ago in their own waters. And the relationship between our countries couldn't get much better.

THis kind of **** happens all the time. Oh yeah, and we all do it as well. To our friends as well. So that's the reality, if you don't do any surveillance to your friends, then you don't love them enough

And what can you do? Put walls in the water so they can't come with their subs?
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                            Carriers are obsolete, floating coffins, if a real war between industrial nations should break out.
                            Your post reminds me of an old war nerd article essentially claiming that overwhelming air power, guided missiles, and mass kamikaze attacks could easily make an expensive investment a hulk at the bottom of the sea at little cost to the enemy.

I like war nerd and he has some sensible views of war and I wonder if he has a point. I'm no naval expert but I wonder if a Carrier group has sufficient defenses to thwart overwhelming or surprise attacks.

Comment

And what the army says about their capabilities are always the biggest lie you could ever hear anyway. First hand experience tells me that it's feed to us so that we wouldn't feel insecure. As if the raincoat will save me from a fallout. Seriously. I was taught to dig a hole, go in it and cover myself with the "NBC suit" which actually was a raincoat, and a ****ty one at that becuase the rule was you'd get more wet wearing it. The gasmask doesn't save me from that chemical attack, it just makes me last a bit longer. And then what happens is you get out from that hole and you spank your fellows with twigs, to "shrug off" the poison, get naked and get "cleaned", which really is just a shower.

So you do this why? So that you think you actually have a chance. But it's ridiculous, unless I get those real space man suits, which I don't have time to put on unless I'm already wearing it. THAT could save me.

Oh and of course the true firepower when facing a chopper, yes, just lean against this tree and you all fire at the same time with your assault rifles. Sure, it'll work. And this tree that has the same width as my head, it'll also cover me from the firepower and rocket attacks. "The Vietnamese took down most choppers they got with this method". Sure. Few Hueys maybe, that are the size of my testicles and are meant for other purposes, that surely is comparable to modern assault helicopters, because they can't handle assault rifles. Right.

Then later the truth comes out as in it's used so that the pilot might think it's actually a bigger caliber and even though that bigger caliber won't hurt the chopper, they might climb up a little anyway, so they'll be in range for missiles and rockets that can actually take them down. So wait, what about the whole story about Vietnam? Oh, that's right, I'm not supposed to ask any questions.

So you can all go ahead and believe when some general tells you, that we got this mega computer that destroys everyone in all situations. Then remember the people who actually operate them. Yes, the guys you see every day. So no, I don't think so. It's a big make belief the whole thing. Against push over countries they still matter but mostly the value is in deterrent. In all out war against real armies, the "plans" fly right out the window, unless they have plan b that actually is realistic.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                                No offense, but don't you find it more problematic that most US posters think that it's some accidential case instead of something common ?
                                Are we reading the same thread? Which U.S. posters ever expressed surprise that a sub could do this, or even expressed unawareness that this has been done by other countries for decades?
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X