Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional athletes MUST address their fans in French.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wezil; And I'll ask a question; are we a nation?
    bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Yes (english or French) makes you a Canadian citizen. Just tough nuts for any that happen to live in Quebec if the PQ had their way.
      The bill only applies to newcomers. Those who already live in Quebec would get their citizenship automatically.

As was pointed out this wouldn't stand a chance of passing a Constitutional challenge even if the 3rd party in Quebec were to ever get such a monstrosity passed.
      That's exactly what the PQ is asking for.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

This point makes no sense.

Was this stupid?
        Probably.
        Xenophobic?
        Maybe.

Was it overblown?
        Mightily.

Some nobody talking out of his ass does not a story make.
        Heck if we had to write a story everytime somebody anywhere says things like this, we'd have to stop publishing anything else.

Asher, you sometimes make sense in some threads but seriously:
        if anyone was trying to pass an article on some other topic about some rando's opinion, no matter how stupid, into a solid article that is supposed to shows embarassment, you would be laughing at him and insulting him.

Why the inconsistency?
        What would you tell me if I quoted an article saying this one guy in Calgary said Chinese were *******s?
        This isn't about one person. It's about a culture of intolerance and insecurity.

Look at the ****ing laws in Quebec. They have a right to be spoken to in French enshrined in laws?

The embarrassment isn't this one guy, it's the entire Francophone contingent in the province that defends this crap.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I actually understand the point that from a constitutional and even practical point of view, it is probably not a good idea for a province to have these sorts of restrictions on citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

No, YOU are an embarrassment to this country for going with the wave and believing we ALL think this crap is right. I see the presses magic is working great on you.

Spec.
            A huge portion of you think this way. Else the PQ would not exist.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
              Wezil; And I'll ask a question; are we a nation?
              This is the problem Harper never really addressed. If you ask 20 people for a definition you will get 20 different answers (political, sociological, etc.).

Tell me your definition and I will give you an answer.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

This isn't about one person. It's about a culture of intolerance and insecurity.
                Well the articles you quoted were about a few individuals.
                As I said, these articles could have been written about any place in the world.

They have a right to be spoken to in French enshrined in laws?
                I don't think so no.

The embarrassment isn't this one guy, it's the entire Francophone contingent in the province that defends this crap.
                Even in the article you quoted yourself, everybody asked disagreed with the first guy's opinion.

Sure people like that one guy are an embarrassment.
                But there are different kinds of embarrassing people everywhere.

The real issue, which I am not going to argue, is whether this culture of intolerance really is more prevalent in Quebec than elsewhere.

I'm not sure we would disagree that much on this question..

My question is just, why quote the article (and heck start this thread) in the first place, if you agree that the article is besides the point?

As I said before, in most other topics, you would have bashed somebody doing anything similar. Why do you lower your intellectual standard when discussing this particular issue?
                Last edited by Lul Thyme; November 1, 2007, 15:12.

Comment

An ideal to live for indeed, a welcoming land for all, a model for the world. We should ask France to give us one of them statues: i can see it on the western tip of l'ile d'Orleans...

"Give me your french speaking only tired, your french speaking only poor,

Your french speaking only huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The french speaking only wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the french speaking only homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Brings a tear to me eye, calisse...
                  What?

Comment

It's worse than that Asher. The Liberal party here defends this **** too
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Richelieu
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Right.

I haven't, as of yet, heard one person that was agreeing with this non-sense. Its a political shlt fest, thats all.

He's a hockey player for crying out loud, nothing more.

Spec.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I agree, a significant portion of Quebecers don't agree with this BS. Still, we allow the vocal ones to write the laws and dominate the media, so Asher has a point, doesn't he?

Its sad, it pisses me off, but its true.

And I'm an anglo. I should be pissed off.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot

It's worse than that Asher. The Liberal party here defends this **** too
                            Only politicians do, not the common citizens.....well, maybe the loony flee-market welfare low class *******s think the shlt is brilliant, but normal people like me, dont.

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Teh French.

Another step closer in our plot to absorb the northern provinces into the US.

Sweet.

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                                I agree, a significant portion of Quebecers don't agree with this BS. Still, we allow the vocal ones to write the laws and dominate the media, so Asher has a point, doesn't he?

Its sad, it pisses me off, but its true.

And I'm an anglo. I should be pissed off.

Dude, I'm french, and I'm pissed off.

To think that this dumb**** writes shlt like that for the mass is outrageous. This must be something he taught of while taking a shlt and just thinking about saying this shlt on the news gave him a hard-on.

I'd knock the bltch out if he was in front of me....so would 80% of Quebec.

There are much more important things to take care of than some hockey players that dont speak French.

I mean, who cares, hockey players in any NHL team dont even know if they are gonna be traded next year, why bother learning French when your job is to shoot a hockey puck...

Hell, they ask non-English hockey players to speak decent French when most French hockey player cant.

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X