Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Kaczynski twins want to destroy Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeBro
    Poland and the UK got away with too much, but aside from this it's ok.

Seriously, it was rather fun too see how everything began to move and the twins flip flopped after they were confronted with the idea of a governmental conference without Poland. Maybe they learned for the next time that they aren't the only ones who can take a more agressive stand in such negotiations.
    bah, You forget that they may have conference without Poland, but they'd still need its approval...
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

• Yeah and it's just so simple to go against the overwhelming majority of the other members, esp. if some of them start to play veto power as well in cases of concern for Poland, for example when it comes to financial matters ....

.....But that's all moot now, since fortunately the twins realized that they just overdid it this time.
      Last edited by BeBMan; June 23, 2007, 13:16.
      Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
        I think the system proposed by Kaczynskis is clearer and better for EU. The objective of Kaczynskis isn't quite to make Poland strong, strong, strong, but to not let Germany and three-four other biggest countries be too strong. The system proposed by them has more avantage for the smallest countries than the medium ones.
        While I think Kaczynski is a bit late, and it is insane to claim from the start he will veto, You have to understand that for once, Poland got very bad entry conditions, but it was said that, thanks to Nice system of voting, we'll be able to gain more in the future. And now certain EU countries want to take away the only thing that polish politicians were pleased with, and expect Poland and other countries to accept that without complaining. The mistake of Kaczynskis isn't quite their stance, but the way of presenting it. They really suck at that. They should've found allies first, because now, though Poland is fighting for the benefit of most EU members but Germany, Italy, UK and France, it seems it is fighting for its own interest only.

Actually, the EU is in an impasse. The enlargements were too drastic and too quick, and the EU is not up to the job of working with all the new members that are bringing new ideas and opinions into the EU. The Nice treaty simply made sure the enlargement was possible and the functioning of the EU would not be disabled, but that's all. Some more radical changes are needed to get things going again. A solution is that the larger states take a leading role, which is merely normal. That doesn't mean the smaller states have nothing to say, there are plenty of checks and balances incorporated so smaller states can achieve what they want.
        However, giving Poland, a poor new member, 27 votes while giving Germany 29 (it's more than double the population of Poland) in the Council is simply dishonest. The fact is that Poland and other new states had to comply with a lot of rules and **** for EU accession, and now they are in they want to have their say in the matters. They want as much gain as they can get now they have some sort of a powerful position.

Spain for example (also having 27 votes) is ready to yield in the council matter because they feel they have gained a lot with the EU (and in exchange for cohesion funds). The Poles are not yet in the same position, but imo they will feel the advantages over time if they are pragmatic enough and don't push things too quickly. It doesn't make sense rampaging like a mad elephant making yourself unwanted with the people you should be working with.

Maybe they don't realize, but in order to make the EU work, it's not only egoism that'll get them what they want. The reason the EU works is because it compromises and they all at least try to work together. And Poland's approach is simply not constructive, so they're just screwing their own possibilities for the future imo.

One other reason for Polish resentment is the indoctrination of the vile British. Because pro-integrationists like us Belgians did not emphasize the obvious advantages of the Commission for smaller states for example to the eastern members, the British filled in the gap and took to training and instructing eastern civil servants, and along the way infusing their annoying fear of supranationalism into the eastern members.

It's all the fault of that hateful wench Thatcher. If only the British had complied with the Commission proposol of supporting the industrial sector in the UK, giving them the feeling they had a sector from which they could reap EU benefits (like France and agriculture, Germany and internal market, Spain and structural funds etc), the British sentiments would possibly be more positive now. But nooo... stuff upper lip reactionary fear of yielding power to that EU monster screwed em over...

I'd say kick out the fookin British, but that would hurt legitimacy and wouldn't improve intra-European relations. Then again we have Germany anyway, which is all we need. UK is teh suck
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• Re: This is good!

Originally posted by Lancer
          The dollar remains the global currency.
          who gives a ****
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• Me, and anyone else who has dollars and sense.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Heresson, can you please tell me in 1-2 sentences what this article is about?

EDIT: damn, the link doesn't work. Here it is in text form.

Code:
              http://www.money.pl/gielda/wiadomosci/artykul/pgnig;w;tym;roku;chce;zaczac;prace;przy;gazociagu;z;norwegii,85,0,247893.html

Comment

• Polish Oil Mining and Gas (Company) wants to start works over the gas-pipeline from Norway this year.

Polish Oil Mining and Gas (Company) assumes that works associated with realisation (of plan of creation of a) gas-pipeline connecting Poland with norwegian resources will start in this year already - announced
                Jan Anysz, vice-president of POMaG.

"We're going to take part / play a role in consortium that shall build gas pipe from norwegian resources" said Anysz.

"We'd like real works to start this year already, to start investment chain" - he added.

Vice president clarified that the gas pipe from Norway to Poland would go through Denmark.

Anysz didn't offer more details, but a month ago POMaG informed in aan announcement, that it settled a deal with Energinet.dk, aiming at creation of direct pipeline, Baltic Pipe, from Denmark to Poland.

It was written then, that the deal with Energinet.dk is part of attempts at connecting Poland with scandinavian resources, and that Baltic Pipe is connected with Skanled project, which is a gas-pipeline connecting Norway with Denmark and Sweden, with a possibility of connecting it with Poland via Denmark.
                Middle East!

Comment

• Great, thanks.

So you're building a gas pipeline through the Baltic to a non-EU state? Ts, ts... did you ask Germany for permission?

Comment

• I'm feeling threatened from a Viking-slavic invasion. We should drop the nuclear threshold right now.

Comment

• While we have a long tradition of common polish-danish-norwegian invasions of Germany, Norway isn't as mighty and dangerous as Russia...
                      Yet
                      Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                      X