Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all the kids born in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144

I agree with all of this, but I'm so tired of getting a bum rap for being part of a generation that was made by people who are giving me the bum rap.
    Don't worry. In twenty years it will be your turn.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Don't worry. In twenty years it will be your turn.
      egad, i hope not! Unless I can hedge and blame others around me and the people they created. Can I?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

i just like to laugh at all the fat kids out there. When I was young there were only 1 or 2 fat kids in the whole school. Now like 50% of them are fat.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

egad, i hope not! Unless I can hedge and blame others around me and the people they created. Can I?
          You do realize that the "greatest generation" has spent the last 45 years complaining about the boomers THEY raised? I mean in that respect, we ARE maintaining a tradition. I dont expect y'all will be any different.

young people today .........
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

what is the greatest generation? I hate that term.

Are those the people who firebombed german and japanese cities? Who kep blacks segregated?

greatest my ass. Old people suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              what is the greatest generation? I hate that term.

Are those the people who firebombed german and japanese cities? Who kep blacks segregated?

greatest my ass. Old people suck.
              young people today .......
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You do realize that the "greatest generation" has spent the last 45 years complaining about the boomers THEY raised? I mean in that respect, we ARE maintaining a tradition. I dont expect y'all will be any different.

young people today .........
                perhaps this now becomes a whole new problem. Every Generation marginalizes the good of the previous and next while maximizing the bad.

is it also a bad sign when you cant stand most the people in your generation?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

nah, its just CH doing his libertarian thingie. Posting something that conflates real problems in the culture (like kids not playing outside as much) which happen NOT to be imposed by lawyers or govt, with trivia that IS imposed by lawyers or govt (OMG! Childproof caps! Oh the World We Have Lost) The political motivations behind this conflation should be apparent.

I can tell you that going playing outside, without fear, was great. It was possible not so much because our parents were not infected by the culture of fear, but at least in my neighborhood cause there always WERE adults around. Credit stay at home moms, seniors who hadnt retired to Florida, the lack of central AC, and the lack of good TV, all of which meant there were always about a dozen or so adults in lawn chairs shooting the breeze in front of our apt building. My mom KNEW I was being watched.

Not having childproof locks as toddler, well I dont even remember. I dont think you guys have missed much on that account.

Sitting in back without seatbelts? It had its moments, but on the whole probably not worth it.
                  QFT

Anyway For kids born in the late 80's or later I wonder how true it is that they don't get play outside unattended? Surely they can walk or ride a bike over to their friends house a few houses or even blocks away? I wonder how exaggerated is this tale of no modern childhood freedom of movement.
                  Last edited by Geronimo; May 9, 2007, 16:20.

Comment

young people today .......

QFT.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

QFT

Anyway For kids born in the late 80's or later I wonder how true it is that they don't get play outside unattended? Surely they can walk or ride a bike over to their friends house a few houses or even blocks away? I wonder how exaggerated is this tale of no modern childhood freedom of movement.
                      It varies tremendously, like most things. But kids who at 10 are hardly allowed more than a hundred feet from the house, is hardly out of the ordinary, or 13 yos who cant walk to the next block, or 15 yos who cant ride the city bus.

Part of it is insane anxiety, and part is legitimate, given how deserted the suburban streets are of pedestrians.

But it also seems that its not just parents restricting the kids, but maybe also kids own choices given the technology. Although if there ARENT many kids outside, then for a given kid to stay inside is more appealing than if there were more kids outside. An externality (pardon) problem.

In any case you can drive through suburban areas where you know there have to be kids living, on a fairly nice day, and hardly see any outside.

Comment

It varies tremendously, like most things. But kids who at 10 are hardly allowed more than a hundred feet from the house, is hardly out of the ordinary, or 13 yos who cant walk to the next block, or 15 yos who cant ride the city bus.

Part of it is insane anxiety, and part is legitimate, given how deserted the suburban streets are of pedestrians.

But it also seems that its not just parents restricting the kids, but maybe also kids own choices given the technology. Although if there ARENT many kids outside, then for a given kid to stay inside is more appealing than if there were more kids outside. An externality (pardon) problem.

In any case you can drive through suburban areas where you know there have to be kids living, on a fairly nice day, and hardly see any outside.
                        How horribly depressing. With a bike a kid can have almost as much mobility as an adult with a car. But with those kinds of restrictions, their freedom becomes comparable to that of an inmate in a state penitentiary. No wonder they would easily become overweight couch potatoes.

Comment

-We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake.

-You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in an old shoebox in the middle of the road.

-Oh, you were lucky. We lived for three months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

-Luxury. We used to have to get up out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hours a day at the mill for twopence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

-Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with the bread knife.

-Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mum would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

-And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

-No, no. They won't.

Comment

No offense Emetri, but that was what we were used to before breakfast, now AFTER breakfast, it soon started to get worse ...

I would like to tell more, but I'm sure that you can't handle the horrors so I'll spare you.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Emetri
                              -We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake.

-You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in an old shoebox in the middle of the road.

-Oh, you were lucky. We lived for three months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

-Luxury. We used to have to get up out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hours a day at the mill for twopence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

-Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with the bread knife.

-Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mum would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

-And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

-No, no. They won't.
                              Eddie Izzard pwns
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

All generations suck. The idea of "generations" sucks. We might as well just admit it, we're all astrologists who just really suck at defining dates or astrological occurances.

"Let's see... um... yah... you were born under the sign of the sun's 19XXth revolution around the earth thingy... which means your lucky numbers for today are 10, 29, 35, 37, 48. That'll be $150. Feel free to take your complimentary energy crystal from the basket there..."

Comment

Working...
                                X