Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all the kids born in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the kids born in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

Congratulations!!!!! TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because....

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and looked for and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from t hese accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode our bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or we just yelled for them!

Local sports teams had “tryouts” and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
    DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Oh bugger! Title Typo. :doh:

Nice admins, please fix the title. Many thanks.

Site gods - how about the title appearing in the preview?

EDIT - thanks for the correction
    Last edited by Cort Haus; May 9, 2007, 09:30.

Comment

your personal thoughts about this article are awe inspiring Cort Haus. I agree with most of the article, however, because i did most of those things! especially this one:

from the above article...
      We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and looked for and found them!
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I didn't include any personal thoughts as they didn't seem necessary. FWIW the article was a trip down memory lane.

Comment

So we, the kids of the 80's and 90's, grow up in the world built by our parents and then get treated to stuff like this, the smug superiority of the baby boomers and the not-so-subtle implication that our childhoods are vastly inferior compared to theirs.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Since when did it become appropriate to post e-mail spam?

I get enough of this crap from my grandma.
            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
            New faces...Strange places,
            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
              So we, the kids of the 80's and 90's, grow up in the world built by our parents and then get treated to stuff like this, the smug superiority of the baby boomers and the not-so-subtle implication that our childhoods are vastly inferior compared to theirs.
              Don't be so sensitive. Think of it as tough love, Starchild.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yeah, picture a cane and cuffs, and the smell of incense wafting.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
                  Since when did it become appropriate to post e-mail spam?

I get enough of this crap from my grandma.
                  Since when did you write the rules?

Comment

No need to take it personally and negatively? It's a social comment about the development of the culture of fear, not an attack on those who have grown up in more recent decades.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Don't be so sensitive. Think of it as tough love, Starchild.
                      It sounds less like tough love and more like another hallmark of the boomer need to see itself as a golden generation.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

It sounds less like tough love and more like another hallmark of the boomer need to see itself as a golden generation.
                        Actually... it seems more like a little counter point to the young pups saying the boomers suck
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's more like a generational tradition.

Trust me, we got the same crap from our parents, who "didn't have TV, lived through the Depression, worked for 10 cents an hour, won WWII," blahblahblah.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yep.

Deal with it...
                            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

The irony for someone who did live that great life as a kid is that I dont allow my children to do the same crazy ****.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X