Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all the kids born in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why did people born in these decades refuse to raise their children the way they were raised?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      My circumstances were very much like the article. I participated in virtually every activity named.

As to the parenting vs generational argument - I have two younger siblings (20+ years between me and them) that do none of these activities. They are members of the video game generation that would probably melt if they spent more than 10 minutes outside. Can't blame it on parents - they are the same parents I had.
      assuming your parents never changed who they were, what they did, and what they allowed your siblings to do. you make it sound like parents ergo people never change how they treat children or different children.
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
        why did people born in these decades refuse to raise their children the way they were raised?
        The current British Government is of the view that parents are incapable of making their own decisions about raising their children, and have to be shown how to do it, and have their hand forced by various state agencies and political pressures.

Not being a parent myself, my capacity to comment on this is limited.

Comment

assuming your parents never changed who they were, what they did, and what they allowed your siblings to do. you make it sound like parents ergo people never change how they treat children or different children.
          I see your point but the change was in the kids. My parents would have loved my siblings to have spent more time outside.

The areas where they changed were mainly the legislated safety areas. Seatbelts, bike helmets and such. I'm sure they would still let them drink from a garden hose (if the kids were outside enough to know what one was).
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
            So we, the kids of the 80's and 90's, grow up in the world built by our parents and then get treated to stuff like this, the smug superiority of the baby boomers and the not-so-subtle implication that our childhoods are vastly inferior compared to theirs.
            Yes.
            A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man which he proposes to pay off with your money.

Comment

to the op

what's wrong with tuna in a tin? I eat tuna.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

I see your point but the change was in the kids. My parents would have loved my siblings to have spent more time outside.

The areas where they changed were mainly the legislated safety areas. Seatbelts, bike helmets and such. I'm sure they would still let them drink from a garden hose (if the kids were outside enough to know what one was).
                as if the change in kids isnt modified by some parental behavior. do parents really have so little control over children?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  to the op

It refers to mother's eating habits whilst carrying child. Unless of course there is something you wish to inform us of??
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

1. New technologies - Should we buy junior a Playstation? cant figure it out by asking what mom or dad did. My parents faced the same dilemma wrt to Tee Vee

2. New wealth/class status - "nobody in the old neighborhood gave their kids fancy ballet lessons, you just didnt do that back there. Now that we can afford to, and all our neighbors do, maybe we should to.

3. New research - "rear seatbelts really DO save lives"

4. New fashions - "everyone gives their kid bottled watter"

5. Rebellion against the past - "My parents were like so stupid"

etc, etc, etc. Theres like a dozen reasons. Youd have to be more specific.

Sometime the new reasons are good. Sometimes not.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      to the op

mercury, I guess. Some folks wont eat fish at all during pregnancy, IIRC. Others think thats totally silly.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

yes, I am pregnant.

Kids born in the 70's are a transition. As we began to enter a "safe" and "avoid risk" society when I as growing up. Pluse video and electronic games started becoming technologically feasible. I'm a computer junkie. Though not so much when I was a kid. I did go outside and play.

we played after the streetlights came on. . It was too hot in the afternoon to play. I live in the desert after all. So we'd either play in the morning, or after the sun went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Not being a parent myself, my capacity to comment on this is limited.
                          QFT

Comment

Heavy metals in general and yes Mercury in specific for any deep water fish.

Oh and congrats Dis.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

mercury, I guess. Some folks wont eat fish at all during pregnancy, IIRC. Others think thats totally silly.
                              Yeah I worry about the mercury. I eat light tuna, as I hear that's better.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

1. New technologies - Should we buy junior a Playstation? cant figure it out by asking what mom or dad did. My parents faced the same dilemma wrt to Tee Vee

2. New wealth/class status - "nobody in the old neighborhood gave their kids fancy ballet lessons, you just didnt do that back there. Now that we can afford to, and all our neighbors do, maybe we should to.

3. New research - "rear seatbelts really DO save lives"

4. New fashions - "everyone gives their kid bottled watter"

5. Rebellion against the past - "My parents were like so stupid"

etc, etc, etc. Theres like a dozen reasons. Youd have to be more specific.

Sometime the new reasons are good. Sometimes not.
                                4. bottle water can be linked to a higher incidence of cavaties. no flouride suckers!

I agree with all of this, but I'm so tired of getting a bum rap for being part of a generation that was made by people who are giving me the bum rap.

Comment

Working...
                                X