Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same thing?

Comment

No.

For him to be charged this went well beyond a nervous/incompetent teacher or two.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Conceded. Replace "teacher" with "teacher/administration/police/system" in my previous posts.

Comment

Of course, the prosecutors may have agreed to charge him simply to get the incident in the system (for future reference) and have no intention of pushing for a conviction.

Is that possible and likely?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            BTW, do you see the parallelism he built ?

'stab stab stab s..t..a..b puke' = 'i had a dream where I was shooting people, not really'

where blood and stabbing (primitive passion) is interrupted by puke (bodily excess) and a dream (unconscious) of gun murder (product of civilization) is interrupted by conscience (excess of civilization, i.e. humans need conscience where there are so many of them that you need to bring to conscience your passions so as to make them sociable).
            ...okay, I'll bite.

W

T

F

?

Did I tell you about the dump I took last night? The neat, "appetizing" food was transformed into "unappetizing" feces...but the joke is, feces can be made into fertilizer, which is used to grow better food! The hideous and the beautiful are not only conceptually but physically interdependent! I'm demonstrating the futility of our revulsion with the limitations of our organic ecosystem! Pin a prize to me and call me a genius!

...no, wait, I'm just a guy taking a dump. Never mind. If this was a troll, it was pretty good. But I'm afraid you're serious.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I like the postmodernist deconstruction of Oncle Boris's critique there Elok
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Elok, I'm afraid there's no hope for you. You've seen too many horrors.

(Actually, I was anticipating your response to OB's dissection )

Comment

Of course this guy is a psycho - he wants to join the marines. What's suprising is that they are pretending that they don't want him. PR, I guess.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Did I tell you about the dump I took last night? The neat, "appetizing" food was transformed into "unappetizing" feces...but the joke is, feces can be made into fertilizer, which is used to grow better food! The hideous and the beautiful are not only conceptually but physically interdependent! I'm demonstrating the futility of our revulsion with the limitations of our organic ecosystem! Pin a prize to me and call me a genius!
                    You're almost there, but so tragically far.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

did you get a 3.7 GPA learning grammar rules by heart ?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        Of course, the prosecutors may have agreed to charge him simply to get the incident in the system (for future reference) and have no intention of pushing for a conviction.

Is that possible and likely?
                        I don't know how likely it would be in that jurisdiction, but definitely unethical IMHO.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Just to give a better explanation of why I think you're hopeless, Elok.

Take for instance, Socrates' last words before he drank his lethal dose of poison : 'Crito, I still owe Esculapes a rooster'.

A short-sighted fool like you would probably say: 'haha funny, Socrates made a good joke'.

But then you begin to analyze and try to understand what that meant. You reread Plato's dialogues, you get interested in the history of Athens. You see that Socrates was a poor citizen, and that he used his wit to pwn prominent generals, statesmen and sophists on the public place. What he said begins to make more sense: 'I'm poor, you're killing me because you couldn't stand my pwnages anymore, but I have as much honor as you guys, because I wish all my debts paid'.

Then, you see that at the height of its power, Athens' playwrights were mocking Socrates. But shortly after that, Athens got humiliated by Sparta. So, what happens in any disaster, heads begin to roll. Socrates isn't a funny guy arguing on useless stuff anymore, he's a corrupter of the virtues that would have protected the polis against its downfall.

Then you analyze tragedies: you realize that unlike classical French tragedies, Greek tragedies didn't strive to be credible and realistic : they're about an arrogant power mocking fate, enjoying terror because it doesn't know it, thinking it's fun to see a guy **** his mommy and kill his daddy.

So you come back to Socrates: you realize that he was mocking Athenian decadence, by showing that they killed an insignificant person, suffering from his low birth, because they couldn't stand tragedy anymore (all of this knowing that Socrates was renowned for having fought bravely as an enrolled soldier). And now that explains his unwillingness to defend himself well in court: 'I don't want to live with you guys anymore, you've turned into clueless pieces of ****'. Hence the symbolic gesture: Socrates drinks the poison himself.

And what happens after that ? The Greek stop writing tragedies, confirming the hypothesis that Socrates was a birth of tragedy, in the sense that tragedy had become true, and not artificial. All of this by analyzing the meaning of a guy saying 'I owe this dude a rooster'.

People like you would rather have the world a meaningless place, where jokes are jokes, stories are stories, etc. You'd rather be dead than alive, wouldn't you ?
                          Last edited by Fake Boris; April 30, 2007, 13:02.

Comment

People like you would rather have the world a meaningless place, where jokes are jokes, stories are stories, etc. You'd rather be dead than alive, wouldn't you ?
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The guy in the story that concerns us certainly isn't something like Socrates or Plato, but there's something clever, in the idea of taking a classical teenage ramble, inserting in it clues of its deliberate irony, and then showing the corruption of the fate of free speech through contempt of your own destiny.

I rest on the intellectual failure of my opponents in this thread.

Comment

Ok, declare victory then.

By the way, is there any indication as to whether or not your deconstruction of the kid's essay is accurate? Or is that just you inserting a bunch of stuff because you want to think this kid is cool?

Like most in this thread, I don't think this kid should've been arrested. This is a clear overreaction due to what happened at VT. I'm unconvinced, however, of his supposed brilliance... and where do you get "contempt of his own destiny" from?

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X