Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Let us be honest, Oklahoma, Columbine, Virginia Tech are all the result of someone with severe mental illness. The problem lies in the fact that we need to identify these people and sort them out, or at least make them safe. By all means, give the lad psychological assessment to see if there are any major underlying issues. But to punish him for a flippant essay, well, no..."

SHUT PH! Stop making sense... we can stop people from flipping out, please, shut your librul artist piehole!

In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      I didn't think it was all that creative.
      You don't have taste.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Let us be honest, Oklahoma, Columbine, Virginia Tech are all the result of someone with severe mental illness. The problem lies in the fact that we need to identify these people and sort them out, or at least make them safe. By all means, give the lad psychological assessment to see if there are any major underlying issues. But to punish him for a flippant essay, well, no...

Wiglaf, I can understand your horror at the recent events but alas, this is all part of life. You can't clamp down on everything and wrap everything in cotton wool. You live, you take your chances. And although minimisation of such incidents happen (and we can always learn lessons), there are some lengths we should never go to.
        The problem is there is no way to identify someone who will snap.

Back in the old days they used to throw everyone in mental institutions (sometimes when they didn't belong). But because we care more about individual liberties now days, we don't lock people up against their will. Unless the family is willing to comitt them.

Comment

Originally posted by MJW
          Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          there's already a thread about it.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=165351
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

This is your argument? Anything that might have prevented the VT attack must be acceptable? Constitution be damned?
            Written threats arent protected big boy

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              Written threats
              It was a homework paper, in accordance the instructions of the teacher.
              I mean, he did not pin it on the trees around his school...
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                Sounds like a weird system. I take it it's a 1 to 6 grade system? We have that in junior high over here, and a 4 is a slightly over average grade. A 6 is the best grade, which is very difficult to get but not impossible if you know your subject.
                No, 0-4, with 4 as the highest you can normally go and 0 as a failing grade. AP courses are supposedly college-level work, so they're weighted to push the scale up over 4.0 if you get good grades in them. In any case, grades are normally referred to by the letters E (or F, for failure) through A, rather than by number.

OB, I looked at that passage again after you claimed it had masterful use of such-and-such, and honestly, I can't see any real talent in it. The rhythm is meh, the diction is not only primitive but awkwardly primitive, and the whole thing is juvenile even for high school. The one thing it's got going for it is better grammar than you'd expect from a real psycho. I think. I never read anything by Harris, Klebold, or whats-his-face from VT, so I wouldn't know.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  The problem is there is no way to identify someone who will snap.
                  Oh we can, the fact is it just isn't 100% infallible. But what is? Sad as it is, these things will always happen - all we can do is minimise the risk. But severely restrict our freedoms in the process?
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Blood, sex and booze. Drugs, drugs, drugs are fun. Stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, s...t...a...b...puke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did.

Bolded part is quite good IMO.

Also, I believe the last sentence was actually meant as a reflexion on mindless shootings... like he was afraid himself of the consequences of what he had just written.

I say not bad. Probably better than most of what the other students did in any case.

Comment

Wow, that's just stupid.

Comment

You've never been in trouble for what you wrote, haven't you (that wouldn't surprise me, you're so desperately bland) ? I've spent my high school years at the principal's office for dissertations I had written, so I'm in a position to see and feel the sincere fright in the last part.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          You've never been in trouble for what you wrote, haven't you (that wouldn't surprise me, you're so desperately bland)?

What exactly would I want to write that would get me in trouble? Why should I want to write things that would get me in trouble (even ignoring that disincentive)? I'm not a rebel, or an idiot...

Comment

As to not be a boring dumbass ?

Comment

Only people who disagree with the orthodoxy are interesting? That's rather self-serving.

Comment

Being a rebel would at least make you normal for your age... I might not judge you bad for being so un-rebel, but it certainly means many many will not be able to identify with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X