Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

CARY, Ill. - Allen Lee was on the verge of realizing a dream to become a Marine after signing enlistment papers this month. But one violent, profanity-laced English essay later, the 18-year-old’s future with the Marine Corps appears to be over.

Because of pending criminal charges stemming from his essay, Lee’s recruiter told him Friday that the Marine Corps has discharged him from his contract, said Sgt. Luis R. Agostini, spokesman for the Marine Corps Recruiting Station Chicago.

“Basically, he is no longer an applicant to become a Marine,” Agostini said.

The senior at suburban Cary-Grove High School was charged this week with two misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct after the principal turned his creative writing essay over to police.

Prosecutors cite Va. Tech
    Lee initially faced just one charge, but an amended complaint filed Thursday cited a second passage.

“In light of recent events (at Virginia Tech), that is part of the context of what happened that makes the reaction all the more reasonable,” said Tom Carroll, first assistant state’s attorney in McHenry County.

Lee, who has a 4.2 grade-point average and never has been in trouble before, is being tutored at administrative offices while school officials decide his future, said his lawyer, Thomas Loizzo.

The charges are a product of paranoia, born of the massacre of 32 students at Virginia Tech by a social outcast who then killed himself, Loizzo said.

“Once the dust settles, once they look at this through clearer glasses, we think that the state will do the right thing and dismiss the charges,” Loizzo said.

The essay, written Monday, reads in part, “Blood, sex and booze. Drugs, drugs, drugs are fun. Stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, s...t...a...b...puke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did.”

Assignment: ‘Be creative’
    The teacher told students: “‘Be creative; there will be no judgment and no censorship,”’ Thomas Loizzo said. “There was never any warning from the teacher that if she determined the paper to be offensive, she would then pass it along to the authorities.”

School district spokesman Jeff Puma declined to discuss the specifics of the essay or Lee’s future, citing privacy concerns.

“The essay was inappropriate in that it caused a question about safety,” Puma said.

The charges could result in a $1,500 fine and as many as 30 days in jail if Lee is convicted.

Lee hopes to re-enlist if the charges are cleared and he’s allowed to return to school, said his other attorney, Dane Loizzo.

Lee wrote in a statement provided by his attorney that he has completed military entrance exams, including a psychiatric evaluation.

“If I’m qualified to defend the country, I believe I’m qualified to attend school,” he wrote.

This story angers me. How can a country with a Constitutional admendment that states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    charge what seems to be a good kid with a crime for an essay? How is this possible. What kind of country do we live in now? I honestly think that that school systems are a threat to American democracy because they don't teach children to function how to live in a democracy, they teach children how to live in a police state. Yes, people need to take threats seriously, but we can't sacrifice freedom of expression because of a dead murderous lunatic.

Where is Ozzy!? Help defend this kid man! This is insane.

A judge will probably throw it out and rightly so, but this kid shouldn't have been dumb enough to write that in the first place. Hell, with a 4.2 GPA he should have been at least smart enough to know not to write that in the first place. Spilt milk, he'll get over it.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

disorderly conduct?

Why can't a judge just throw this out of court?

Aren't judges supposed to protect the public from this kind of of crap?

[edit doh! x-post]

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
        A judge will probably throw it out and rightly so, but this kid shouldn't have been dumb enough to write that in the first place. Hell, with a 4.2 GPA he should have been at least smart enough to know not to write that in the first place. Spilt milk, he'll get over it.
        I wonder if you'd say that if the FBI picked you up for what you posted on an internet forum.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

I wonder if you'd say that if the FBI picked you up for what you posted on an internet forum.
          If they can get away with calling this essay "disorderly conduct" I can't see why they couldn't try to apply the same perverse logic to internet postings

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Last I checked, I hadn't posted any violent, profanity-laced missives on the Internet about killing a bunch of people.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Checks ARE running DroseDARs.... Are you absolutely 100% certain you've never put anything stupid on the internet? Uncle Sam wants to know! BTW, anything you said is OK and won't be judged*.

*some restrictions may apply.
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

If they can get away with calling this essay "disorderly conduct" I can't see why they couldn't try to apply the same perverse logic to internet postings
                If this kid gets convicted, and sets the precedence that it's ok to charge people with crimes for what they write, then it seems obvious that somebody would quickly apply it to the internet. Also, if the United States has an extradition treaty with another country, it's possible (though highly unlikely) that they could try and extradite a person for a violent internet posting.

Comment

It was only a matter of time that such a story came - I didn't think it would come so soon though.

But this is essentially the effect when politicians try to evade a gun-law discussion by calling people to better watch their neighbors and become hysterical.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Guys, he wasn't posting this on the internet. He was submitting it to class. Which the loonball from VTech did as well, before he started shooting. Only that kid was obviously psychotic in other ways. Yes, this is stupid, but this kid really should have known better, even before VTech. I got in trouble for a good deal less back in HS, and that was about a year before Columbine...
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Lee, who has a 4.2 grade-point average

Do I understand correctly that it's considered an above-average result?
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Lee, who has a 4.2 grade-point average

Do I understand correctly that it's considered an above-average result?
                        You really don't get much better. As a matter of fact, most schools don't go above 4.0.

He shouldn't be charged with anything, but it shouldn't be ignored.
                        Le Républicain Catholique

Comment

there's already a thread about it.

Last edited by Sirotnikov; April 28, 2007, 16:04.

Comment

Exactly. Have people figure out what was/is going on with the guy, and if he has mental issues, then help him and don't destroy his life. I bet being stripped of possibilities for his future makes everything better.

Your society is freaky.
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Your society is freaky.
                              QFT

Comment

Working...
                              X