Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is perhaps the most boggling response I've ever gotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

Granted, that's not claiming genius, but you ripped people for saying they didn't find the guy's work to be creative/good.

-Arrian
      Obviously. Why ? Because they didn't bother to try, as was evident with Elok's answer (wtfing at me), and Kuci's (typical 'you're an idiot' crap).

The mecanism here should be obvious : if doing something stupid is sufficient to warrant a restriction on free speech, then free speech is meaningless. You might as well rename it 'security'.

But — if contesting authority 'for the sake of it' (in other words: 'I haven't tried to understand the text') is silly, you're arguing that it's a risky proposition, and thus that doing it makes you stupid. In other words : 'the guy was an idiot for taking a risk', and thus free speech is a question of security altogether.

Conclusion : inability to understand a text entails inability of properly understanding free speech.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW
        Die thread, die.
        “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW
          Edit: It does say *** once during that time. Me bad I just did not hear it. I was just answering Arrian's question Aeson.
          Then why'd you quote me? (Is it the same reason you keep bumping the thread to tell it to die?)

Comment

• He's living in a Christian denial of death, pronouncing its name endlessly so as to hopelessly hunt it away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson

Then why'd you quote me? (Is it the same reason you keep bumping the thread to tell it to die?)
              Because I was acting like an idot.
              /Not Chirstain
              “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson

I only post those rants only after someone else has bumped it.

Comment

• Taking a risk with nothing to win and a great deal to lose, as was the case here, is stupid, OB. He may have blown his chance with the Marines by throwing this hissy-fit. What did he gain by it?
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
                    He may have blown his chance with the Marines by throwing this hissy-fit.

That wouldn't be reasonable risk to expect someone to anticipate.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Generally, everyone here agrees there was an overreaction to this kid's silly essay.

That being said, I don't see how anyone can assert that the last sentance of his piece of **** was anything but stupid.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

Recruits or potential recruits with a tenth of a brain understand that there are certain standards of conduct expected of them. It's not "I'll do whatever the **** I want and the Corps will just have to let me be me."

Since he wrote something (after VT) which could easily be construed as a threat against a specific individual, an intelligent, mature individual could reasonably foresee that there might be consequences to that action. If anyone wants to argue that this poow widdle boy isn't particularly intelligent and is immature, then I certainly won't disagree.

I don't think this pathetic little self-indulgent ********er is material for a real Marine (except maybe as the pus in the proverbial pimple on the ass of a real Marine) but it would be precious to see how he reacts or what he puts in an essay when he has his first run-in with a Marine DI.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          The mecanism here should be obvious : if doing something stupid is sufficient to warrant a restriction on free speech, then free speech is meaningless. You might as well rename it 'security'.

But — if contesting authority 'for the sake of it' (in other words: 'I haven't tried to understand the text') is silly, you're arguing that it's a risky proposition, and thus that doing it makes you stupid. In other words : 'the guy was an idiot for taking a risk', and thus free speech is a question of security altogether.

Conclusion : inability to understand a text entails inability of properly understanding free speech.
                          There's been no restriction on free speech. The same little idiot, and anybody else, can write essays all day long if they want. There's a long established gray area where speech crosses over into conduct (conspiracy, incitement to riot, sedition, etc.) That's nothing new.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• According to GePap's post, he was charged for disorderly conduct.

Besides, I'm not even talking about the legal side of it, which is shown in the tone and intent of my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              According to GePap's post, he was charged for disorderly conduct.

Besides, I'm not even talking about the legal side of it, which is shown in the tone and intent of my post.
                              Making a threat in certain contexts can be illegal. The police, under those circumstances, can arrest someone and investigate. Nothing will prevent him from putting up some assinine rant site about how he was victimized and posting the entire essay. He hasn't been enjoined from publication. He have been arrested based on a perceived threat.
                              Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; May 4, 2007, 14:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
                                Only an idiot wouldn't anticipate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X