Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student gets charged for essay (Die Free Speech Die!!! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
    Nothing remotely unusual about people from well-to-do backgrounds being rebels. Naive to think otherwise, I'd have thought. People can either turn out as rebels, robots, or anything in between.
    People with significant opportunity within the system are less likely to try to destroy it.

Comment

• Elok, you're missing out. South Park is (or has been, anyway) one of the best shows on TV...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Die thread, die.
        “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

• Poor thread. What did it ever do to you? Make your eyes bleed a little? Bah.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
            Poor thread. What did it ever do to you? Make your eyes bleed a little? Bah.

-Arrian
            no, it's an emo peice of crap
            “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

• Ok, the term "emo" is starting to annoy me. What does this newfangled abomination mean?

edit: Wikipedia to the rescue:

Emo personality is also often connected with writing poetry, which addresses confusion, depression, loneliness, and anger, all resulting from the world's inability to understand the author. Emo poetry uses a combination of any of: a highly emotional tone, stream of consciousness writing, a simple (ABAB) or nonexistent rhyme scheme, references to the flesh, especially the heart, heavy use of dark or depressing adjectives, concern over the mutability of time and/or love, and disregard for punctuation, grammar, and/or spelling. Themes such as life is pain are common.[10]
              Ok.

-Arrian

Comment

Elok, you're missing out. South Park is (or has been, anyway) one of the best shows on TV...

-Arrian
                Yeah, they say that about Borat too. Meh. South Park is too heavy-handed for the most part, and the vulgarity is gratuitous and distracts from the real comedy. The one thing I really like about them is that they went after Scientology, though most of the comedy in that episode was provided by the ludicrous beliefs of the Co$. If you like it, though, more power to ya.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• South Park has moments, as does Borat, neither are amazing.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ok, the term "emo" is starting to annoy me. What does this newfangled abomination mean?

edit: Wikipedia to the rescue:

Ok.

-Arrian
                    Self-absorbed, entitled whininess seems more succinct to me.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

Yeah, they say that about Borat too. Meh. South Park is too heavy-handed for the most part, and the vulgarity is gratuitous and distracts from the real comedy. The one thing I really like about them is that they went after Scientology, though most of the comedy in that episode was provided by the ludicrous beliefs of the Co$. If you like it, though, more power to ya.
                      I've never watched Borat, but from what I know of it, I'd hate it.

South Park does lay the vulgarity on thick... but it amuses me because although it's amped up, it really does remind me a of a pack of dirty/nasty little kids.

Then again, I liked Beavis & Butthead too...

-Arrian

Comment

• I expect South Park owes a little to Beavis & Butthead - taking vulgarity as a basis for satire - but I feel that the business of being offensive can be a cutting component in satire. My first impressions of South Park were similar to Elok's, but once I got over the shock aspect I was hooked. It rocks.

This is relevant to the OP, as the right to be offensive is an important principle of freedom. Once we deny this liberty, there's no stopping the censorship, and ultimately only prescribed, sanitised and bland opinions will be permitted.

There are plenty of films and literary works, including 'classics' like Shakespeare that are at times violent, vulgar, offensive and crass. Either we are able to handle this, or we are shrinking violets that need wrapping in cotton wool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
                          I expect South Park owes a little to Beavis & Butthead - taking vulgarity as a basis for satire - but I feel that the business of being offensive can be a cutting component in satire. My first impressions of South Park were similar to Elok's, but once I got over the shock aspect I was hooked. It rocks.

This is relevant to the OP, as the right to be offensive is an important principle of freedom. Once we deny this liberty, there's no stopping the censorship, and ultimately only prescribed, sanitised and bland opinions will be permitted.

There are plenty of films and literary works, including 'classics' like Shakespeare that are at times violent, vulgar, offensive and crass. Either we are able to handle this, or we are shrinking violets that need wrapping in cotton wool.
                          I entirely agree but now that the whole text of the offending essay has been posted I'd have to say the problem wasn't that it was an offensive tasteless essay that was reminiscent of the VT writings.

Rather I'd say, this student has landed himself in such hot water because the essay appears to be a personal threat directed against a particular person.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW
                            Die thread, die.
                            This is the type of violent speech which could land you in jail... careful now!

Comment

• You don't expound on a mass-killing fantasy, criticize you English teacher and then end with the sentence:

No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first cg shooting.
                              That could be a threat, a veiled thread or a joke in really bad taste. After having dozens of killing on our school grounds, officials have to take this kind of language seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson

This is the type of violent speech which could land you in jail... careful now!
                                wrong.

This vid explains what emo is. It is not safe for work after minute or so. PG-13+

Edit: It does say *** once during that time. Me bad I just did not hear it. I was just answering Arrian's question Aeson.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                                Last edited by MJW; May 2, 2007, 05:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X