No announcement yet.

Russia to temporarily withdraw from Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nautical miles, and that was kind of the point.

Comment

Recycling the same jokes eh

For those of you who deal in nano meters vice nautical miles, a nautical mile=2000 yards.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
        So what will Russia do? Deploy their ONLY new 90 tanks from transurals to Pskov? OOO, scary.

The bulk of Russian tank forces is T-72, T-80 and T-90.
        I've seen T-80UK and T-90S in action yesterday (firing at targets 4-5km away). You are right - it's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

Their GDP is maybe 10% bigger than that of the Netherlands, I think. No one takes their military threat too seriously.
          Russia has world's 9th largest GDP, Netherlands has world's 21st-24th largest GDP (according to different sources), it's about 1/3rd of the Russian GDP.

Educate yourself:

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

The bulk of Russian tank forces is T-72, T-80 and T-90.
            I've seen T-80UK and T-90S in action yesterday (firing at targets 4-5km away). You are right - it's scary.
            No doubt at stationary targets, on the steppe, with the tanks not moving either.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

it's about 1/3rd of the Russian GDP.
              Self pwnage?
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

No doubt at stationary targets, on the steppe,
                Sure It wasn't an actual combat, but a firepower and mobility demonstration at proving grounds (as part of large military exhibition we have here now) .

with the tanks not moving either.
                Not only they were moving, they were flying!

And a 46 ton T-80UK tank "jumping" from small hill to a hight of 3 meters and at the same very moment firing his gun - it's a very thrilling sight. Especially when you are only 70 meters away.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Self pwnage?
                  Nope, a pwnage of one of the Poly's leading economists Saras.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Russia has world's 9th largest GDP, Netherlands has world's 21st-24th largest GDP (according to different sources), it's about 1/3rd of the Russian GDP.

Educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._GDP_%28PPP%29
                    I'd still prefer to live in Dutchland.
                    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

• GDP is not everything. I prefer to live in a free country where I don't risk being dead if I am an annoyance to the government, whether a journalist or a businessman.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• PPP is voodoo, Serb.
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starchild

I'd still prefer to live in Dutchland.

Comment

• Russia:

GDP (official exchange rate):
                            $733 billion (2006 est.)

Netherlands:

GDP (official exchange rate):
                            $612.7 billion (2006 est.)

I know the CIA World Factbook is not as authoritative as Wikipedia. but hey...I tried.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Saras
                              PPP is voodoo, Serb.
                              QFT
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
                                The missile shield, why officially directed against nuclearly-armed 'rogue states' to protect Europe, is seen to carry more strategic importance than admitted. Some see its position as more advantaeous to the US than to Poland and the Czech republic (to do with the ballistic curve of a missile). Others state that it does disturb MAD because A) the system might be improved later on so as to be more effective against a potential Russian strike and B) it might be effective against Russia's second strike capacity.

Discuss.
                                I may be the only one, but I agree with your general sentiment Ecthy.

There is no reason for that missile shield. Al Qaeda is not going to launch missiles at Poland. So why are they building this? They had to know this would provoke Russia.

As for the oft repeated comment that "the cold war is over". For now it is. But if we continue to provoke Russia it may start up again. The Cold War didn't just happen because they were Commies and we weren't, it happened from a process of ratcheting up hostilities. They provoked us, we provoked them, back and forth.

Is that what people want with the new Russia?

Everyone keeps saying "pssh, who cares, we can take them, let them keep whining." That is pretty much the same attitude our governments are taking and no wonder Russia is pissed off. No country likes to be pushed around, threatened, and humiliated internationally. If we want to stop the saber rattling, then we have to put down our sabers.

If Russia is our friend and ally then why don't we invite them into NATO?
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X