No announcement yet.

Russia to temporarily withdraw from Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this "liberal" thinking of nowadays is killing a lot of common sense. How would Russia not be concerned with NATO "defense" plots if those would actually hamper Russia's defense abilities in a scenario ofa lost MAD structure? But then some people just like to make big words, see Eremetri, VJ, DinoDoc

Comment

According to Russian news agencies, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said today that Russia would not leave the CFE treaty ahead of next week's meeting of the signatories in Vienna.

"The question as to whether Russia will withdraw from the treaty will not be brought up", Lavrov was quoted as saying regarding the Vienna meeting.

So, as most reasonable people had already guessed, all just a matter of posturing. What will they think of next? The world eagerly awaits..

Comment

Those warnings from Putin are clearly for domestic politics purposes - no one in Western Europe takes in seriously, but I think that we should.
        The funny thing is that Russia already pointed it's warheads on Western Europe - something like 40 years ago I think. They pointed them on our Polish cities as well, when only we joined NATO - in 1999, so when they now say that whey will point them on us, it's simply funny.
        Maybe someone from Russia will finally explain why a defensive weapon like this disputed Anti-Missile Shield poses a threat to anyone?
        http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/224875277 - petition to add Poland as a playable civ in Sid Meier's Civilization
        http://www.civilization.org.pl/ - Polish club of Civilization players

Comment

I have long-viewed Putin's Russia as a whiny, insolent child state that throws tantrums just to get attention it doesn't get otherwise, but Putin isn't stupid. So why is it he thinks that a system which has proven again and again in rigged tests to be an utter failure is such a threat to Russia? I have to believe his protestations are, as others have said earlier, nothing more than for domestic consumption.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

in rigged tests
            All tests are rigged...

The system works for what it is supposed to do. That is the funny thing, the system is so mission specific and limited in capabilities that to even suggest it has anything to do with MAD balance is stupid.

Etchy, I am an IR/MA major to, you are going off the deep end with this.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Irma is a girl's name in here. Most Irmas are ugly.

What is MA? I figure IR is international relations.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

International Relations/Military Affairs.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Putin is just mad that if this system is put in place it might hinder him from attacking Europe... boo hoo!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I wasn't aiming at you Patroklos. For some people this stuff seems extremely simple which it isn't.

Comment

The overall situation is very complex, but Putin's reaction is not. I think people here are calling a spade a spade.

Comment

The thread was opened to discuss the "overall situation". I'm merely stating that a simplistic conclusion is insufficient.

Any new interesting stuff on the Jane's front? You should keep this place informed for free

Comment

Actually now that I am on shore duty, I don't have free access to the site

Thought about paying for it myself, I can go through that stuff for hours on end. Probably more constructive than drinking in the afternoon...

Comment

With military expenditures reaching near all time lows (as a % of GNP) and the exiting of heavy manufaturing from the "Western Civilized nations", it is quite clear that the military/industrial complex needs a solid enemy to get the public behind massive defense spending. The terrorist do not supply a big enough threat and Iraq is looking too short term. Clearly Russia must become the enemy again. The economy demands it!
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Erm.. yeah.

So how ridiculous are China's attempts at obtaining carriers? Do you share the War Nerd's interpretation that carriers are close to obsolete in the age of Exocet missiles?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                                Do you share the War Nerd's interpretation that carriers are close to obsolete in the age of Exocet missiles?
                                Not as long the point defense weapons work properly.
                                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X