Clear All

• Ban Serb and teh evil spam will disappear
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
      Ban Serb and teh evil spam will disappear
      Actually... I was thinking of restricting him, and then banning you and adding a PCR, because you have been warned in the past about playing stupid games.

And next time you join in... you will be.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• You forgot to close the thread!

Go ahead Etchy, if you got something else I roll with it.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Noteworthy article on what is really going on in Russian-American relations. By Stephen F. Cohen. In fact, it contains many things said out here on Poly in Russia's defense. If you strictly adhere to the Washington Post line on the issue, skip the reading. But if you really want to understand something beyond what your mainstream media instil in you, this is just for you.

Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

• I hate anti-mainstrem rhetorics in internet discussions. It makes the entire issue lose all its worthwileness.

Apart from that, I find the continuedly used comparison to the pre-1991 world order by referencing to the term "Cold War" extremely unhelpful in analysing strategic situations and judging the behaviour of countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
              I hate anti-mainstrem rhetorics in internet discussions. It makes the entire issue lose all its worthwileness.
              So we should limit ourselves to the mainstream stamps?

Apart from that, I find the continuedly used comparison to the pre-1991 world order by referencing to the term "Cold War" extremely unhelpful in analysing strategic situations and judging the behaviour of countries.
              But what if it is this term that most adequately grasps the situation...

Besides, the author clearly states that now it's not quite the same cold war as it was before. It's also a cold war, but different on some key aspects.

Comment

• 1. Bring up non-mainstream stuff if you must, but do acknowledge that any discussion needs common grounds. That article isn't anti-mainstream anyway, as in it doesn't involveconspiracy theories, mystical connections or appeals to long-dead emotions in any way. It's a certain point of view properly put in a respected paper.

2. His reasoning has holes. He tries to draw parallels but it still isn't quite the same stuff. Russia IS a lot weaker than the USSR was, the ideological difference IS less significant etc. pp.

Besides, the term 'cold war' more than demoninates a historical pattern in international relations. It also carries conotatios of an emotional sort. And it has a relation to "the past", as in "you're using cold war rhetorics so you're backwards". To properly get a grip of what goes on you should stick to the observations themselves not make an effort to put it into comparison with stuff long past.

Comment

I hate anti-mainstrem rhetorics in internet discussions. It makes the entire issue lose all its worthwileness.

the Nation is quite mainstream, theyve been toing the stalinist line for generations.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• No experience with the Nation here, but the Wiki article on it says they're lefty. Does that equal stalinist on Wiki?

Comment

1. Bring up non-mainstream stuff if you must, but do acknowledge that any discussion needs common grounds. That article isn't anti-mainstream anyway, as in it doesn't involveconspiracy theories, mystical connections or appeals to long-dead emotions in any way. It's a certain point of view properly put in a respected paper.
                      All right then. Good for this article.

2. His reasoning has holes. He tries to draw parallels but it still isn't quite the same stuff. Russia IS a lot weaker than the USSR was, the ideological difference IS less significant etc. pp.
                      But he accounts for these differences! He explicitly points out how the present cold war is different from the old one.

Besides, the term 'cold war' more than demoninates a historical pattern in international relations. It also carries conotatios of an emotional sort. And it has a relation to "the past", as in "you're using cold war rhetorics so you're backwards". To properly get a grip of what goes on you should stick to the observations themselves not make an effort to put it into comparison with stuff long past.
                      'Cold war' is just a term to describe certain type of relations between the states. The (geo)political phenomenon described by this term really exists in nature. So if you don't want to use the term 'cold war', you have to invent another term (to name it differently). But I just don't see why to do that. One can always make a distinction between that great Cold War of the past, and a new cold war.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

the Nation is quite mainstream, theyve been toing the stalinist line for generations.

Sticking labels on proponents of a different point of view is not quite democratic a practice by itself.

Comment

No experience with the Nation here, but the Wiki article on it says they're lefty. Does that equal stalinist on Wiki?
                          wiki article's a whitewash.

When a group of non-commie lefties (schlesinger, hook, Arendt, etc) denounced BOTH Nazism and Stalinism as totalitarian in '38, the editor of the Nation said the term should only be used for fascism. She DID express her unhappiness at the show trials of '38 - it would have been impossible to maintain any credibility without doing that, and most anti-communist or Trotskyite lefties in the US had given up on the USSR well before that - we see that cover still works, as in the Wiki article. They were consistently friendly to the USSR, including through the cold war.

Maybe fellow travelers is a better description, or "anti-anti-communist"

And yes, they are a well established magazine (founded in 1865 by abolitionists) , and the voice of a certain part
                          of the American left, do definitely "mainstream" in that sense.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by The Vagabond

Sticking labels on proponents of a different point of view is not quite democratic a practice by itself.
                            even where those labels are accurate?

In a democracy youre allowed to criticize those you disagree with. Its the STATE thats not allowed to interfere with speech.

Youve got a lot to learn about democracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

even where those labels are accurate?

In a democracy youre allowed to criticize those you disagree with. Its the STATE thats not allowed to interfere with speech.
                              There is a huge difference between sticking labels a priori and a posteriori.

Youve got a lot to learn about democracy.
                              You too. All of us do.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Vagabond

There is a huge difference between sticking labels a priori and a posteriori.
                                you think Ive never read the friggin Nation magazine? I read the Nation when you guys thought Andropov was your savior.

Comment

Working...
                                X