Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet more proof that abstince only sex education is a complete failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet more proof that abstince only sex education is a complete failure.

In the US Christian fundamentalists have long claimed that real sex education, the type which teaches children about birth control and STDs, only encouraged young people to have sex. As an alternative they have pushed the ignorance is bliss approach where young people are not taught about contraception or STDs and instead are simply told to never have sex until they are married. Everyone who wasn't a ****** religious lunatic knew this was a horrible idea but Republican politicians, preaching "family values", never the less pushed this head in the sand approach.

Study after study after study have proven that the abstinence only doesn't work, that young people still have sex at virtually identical rates as people who don't attend these "classes" and that the people who do go to those classes remain completely ignorant of contraceptives & STDs. Now we have yet another report that proves religious fundamentalists are idiots who should never be taken seriously.

US sex-abstinence classes queried

US students attending sexual abstinence classes are no more likely to abstain from sex than those who do not, according to a new study.

Participants in special programmes were just as likely to have sex a few years later as those who did not attend.

In the past few years of Republican Party control of Congress, the spending on no-sex-before-marriage education has risen from $10m to $176m a year.

Critics have repeatedly said the programmes are not working.

They say the money would be better off spent on a comprehensive sex education that would include abstinence.

Conclusions

Social conservatives have long believed that teaching adolescents about sexuality and contraception could encourage them to have sex.

They would rather promote abstinence until marriage.

The students in this study, which was ordered by Congress, came from a range of big cities across the United States, such as Milwaukee and Miami and from rural communities in Virginia and Mississippi.

They were 11 and 12 years old when they entered the abstinence programmes, which lasted one to two years.

The researchers also looked at the behaviour of their peers from the same communities who did not attend the classes.

The findings show that those who attended first had sex at about the same age as their peers - at 14 years and nine months.

The Bush administration has warned against drawing sweeping conclusions from the study.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Culture plays are larger roll than classes.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

@ article

Isn't this like the third study in the past year to prove as much?
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

there is nothing on the planet that will stop the human sex drive... sorry, play again boys...

piece
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
          @ article

Isn't this like the third study in the past year to prove as much?
          At least. As I said in the OP study after study after study have all proven it's a dismal failure were as real sex education actually works. Young people still have sex but at least they have safe sex.

Comment

i was watching something while i was in scotland on the dutch sex ed programs... fascinating stuff, really.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Barging through open doors
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I thought it was a well-known fact that the best way to get an adolescent to do something is to tell them not to

(especially when every fiber in their brain is telling them the opposite)

Of course, if they really had JC they would listen to their parents

Comment

Do most regular kids really lose their virginity before the age of 15? Shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                    Do most regular kids really lose their virginity before the age of 15? Shocking.
                    no. the vast majority of the people in my year are still virgins. (15-16)

Comment

So abstinence is a failure when kids start at the same time as when they have sex education?

If abstinence is a failure, then so are the other programs if neither have an effect on adolescent sexual behaviour.

Secondly I'm not sure how they determine the age at which every child enters sexual activity if they only check back three years later. It has been said that there are two extremes, that will not change, the early folks and the latest folks. Everyone else will be more likely to wait if they are encouraged to do so.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If abstinence is a failure, then so are the other programs if neither have an effect on adolescent sexual behaviour.
                        Wrong the point of nonabstinence programs is to promote safe sex. The article mentions nothing about use of protection amongst abstinence-taught students and regular-taught students but I would say that anecdotally students in regular programs have a higher use of protection.

no. the vast majority of the people in my year are still virgins. (15-16)
                        I would hope that 53 year olds are not virgins, but remember, betor's Internet identity "goes to a private school". 14 years 9 months seems pretty young, but I would buy 15 or 16 as an acceptable average.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          So abstinence is a failure when kids start at the same time as when they have sex education?

That's where you are wrong. Real sex education, the type which teaches about contraception and STDs along with how to prevent them, has been proven to modify young people's behavior. They still have sex but they're at least having safe sex.

That's a massive step in the right direction which does everyone good while the head in the sand approach, advocated by the religious lunatic fringe, accomplishes nothing. Young people still have sex but they remain entirely ignorant of birth control and how to stop STDs.

Comment

These are all about how real sex ed really does effect the habits of young adults. They really are better informed and they really do practice safe sex more often. Unfortunately, due to what can only be called an evil ideology there are NO federally funded sex ed programs in the US except for the failed abstinence only nonsense. (Cite in first link)

Comment

At least the good people of Washington state have put an end to the Republican insanity and put the health and welfare of their children first. It is now illegal to "teach" (and I use that term very loosely) abstinence only in any public school in Washington State.

Comment

Working...
                              X