Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet more proof that abstince only sex education is a complete failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is abstince?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A typo.

BTW here's a link from my local chapter of Planned Parenthood which is filled with facts and has an excellent comparison between comprehensive, that is real, sex ed and the crap pushed by the religious extremists.

For all the talk about religious freedom how come we can't stop the religious nutjobs from legislating their religion onto everyone else?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

in this country there is a lot of sex education in schools, and yet still we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in western europe.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
          in this country there is a lot of sex education in schools, and yet still we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in western europe.
          "we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in western europe"....therefore we need..."a lot of sex education in schools" perhaps?

Just like the safest towns aren't always the ones with the most cops on the streets...
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

It's cultural.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

sex ed does nothing...
              TRUST...
              there are other ways...
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler

"we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in western europe"....therefore we need..."a lot of sex education in schools" perhaps?

Just like the safest towns aren't always the ones with the most cops on the streets...
                err...the rather obvious point is that having this sort of sex education in schools, which we do, doesn't mean that the message gets through.

not that i'm arguing against sex education, but in this country at least, it doesn't seem to solve the problems which it is meant to, i.e. teen pregnancy and of course STDs.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

err...the rather obvious point is that having this sort of sex education in schools, which we do, doesn't mean that the message gets through.

not that i'm arguing against sex education, but in this country at least, it doesn't seem to solve the problems which it is meant to, i.e. teen pregnancy and of course STDs.
                  it's the sexualisation of anyone whose age is in double figures that's the cause.

i remember once listening to some rock music on TV a few years back. Some family friends came round with daughters around 11 and 13 or something like that. The impression I got was that the parents didn't want their children to see the rock vids..despite them being fairly alright for all ages.

However, I frequently saw at their place the same children watching hiphop videos of girls wearing next to nothing cavorting around amidst sexually explicit lyrics (oh yeah, they were censored out ).

That's the problem
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

For give us for going a bit Pekka on you!
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

forgiven...
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

MTV is corrupting youth!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          So abstinence is a failure when kids start at the same time as when they have sex education?

If abstinence is a failure, then so are the other programs if neither have an effect on adolescent sexual behaviour.

abstinance aims to limit sex to married couples, so I guess if that doesn't happen (unless you would claim the abstinance program leads to consumed teen marriages) the program fails.

The other programs are hoping teens will have safe-sex. They have no aim to the age when people have sex. They therefore cannot fail on the age issue alone.
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Just from talking to friends at uni, the type of sex education they got in the UK seems rather pants to the one I got in Ontario.

There is also the cultural element like Jon said. Because there are more teenage pregnancies, its more acceptable to be a pregnant teenager.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Just from talking to friends at uni, the type of sex education they got in the UK seems rather pants to the one I got in Ontario.

There is also the cultural element like Jon said. Because there are more teenage pregnancies, its more acceptable to be a pregnant teenager.
                              Plus you get a nice little paypacket off the state for it too. More than they could earn down the local cafe.
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

yeah ben

abstinence only programs seek to reduce harm from sexual behavior by telling people to just not do it. people do just do it. without any other knowledge on how to reduce harm.

other programs seek to reduce harm from sexual behavior by teaching methods of harm reduction like condoms, birth control, etc. while teaching that abstinence is an option.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X