No announcement yet.

Al Gore Rumbled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW neither of you has yet acknowledged the response I posted.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
      It's quite simple. When one of the most extravagent consumers of energy on the planet starts delivering sermons about energy waste, he is a hypocrite.
      How do you know this? What's the average for the area? For a home his size? What amount of consumption do other people use?
      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
      New faces...Strange places,
      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Back in civil war times one could pay to get out of the draft.

Pissed people off back then too.

All that being said I could care less about Gore's personal energy bill.
        actually buying a substitute went back much further, to colonial era militias. During the Civil War theres abundant evidence that rich folks served at least as much as poor folks did, maybe somewhat more (I think thats in McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom)

Anyway, you can surely understand that a carbon tax is a far smarter policy than absolute reduction regulations? We've been using pollution credits for SO2 for at least a decade now, and the system works just fine.

Again, maybe people are smarter than the geekocracy here gives them credit for.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          They look at what you do FOR THEM - what you vote for, what you change. Working people supported FDR because of his policies, not because of any personal charity he did or didnt give.

BTW, Ive lived most of my life outside Washington.

My Jewish relatives in NY are typically more concerned with pols views on Israel than with whether he belongs to a church that says all Jews will go to hell, for example.
          Earth to LOTM, politics and policy rightly consume very little of the brainpower of the American public. Rather, they are more concerned with what they can do practically, personally. They don't pay much attention to ivory tower bull**** like you are -- unfortunately -- spewing.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
            How do you know this? What's the average for the area? For a home his size? What amount of consumption do other people use?
            And what we really want to know... Do Kuciwalker's parents have more bathrooms than Al and Tipper Gore?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Earth to LOTM, politics and policy rightly consume very little of the brainpower of the American public. Rather, they are more concerned with what they can do practically, personally. They don't pay much attention to ivory tower bull**** like you are -- unfortunately -- spewing.
              You are correct that most folks dont spend a lot of time on politics - period. They are more concerened with their personal concerns. When they DO concern themselves with politics, its about what the results of politics will mean for THEM - will they lose their job, will they have health insurance, will the building they work in be hit by airplanes, will their taxes go up, will the get sick from pollution - NOT about the personal lives of pols.

What ivory tower BS am I spewing - point to it please?

I await a post from someone who supports Gores points, who is troubled by Gores personal energy consumption. AFAICT, all the gnashing of teeth about is coming from folks who thought hes wrong anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
                According to the article :

- $30,000 a year in energy bills.

- twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year.

AFAICS, he's living in a sodding palace with swimming pool and goodness knows what. If you can't see how these facts make him one of the most extravagent consumers of energy on the planet then you must be one of these people that thinks everyone has a swimming pool.

Comment

LOTM: Let's put it this way. The American people would be a hell of a lot more interested in a cheap and good looking solar roof shingle than the policy pronouncements of Al Gore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                    I think it makes him a hypocritical f*cktard.
                    He's a politician. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      Within this context "trashing" him this way can not be done without making a comment on environmental issues. There is no reason to point out his use of electricity unless it is in direct response to his movie about climate change, or his positions on environmental issues.
                      Yes there is. It's in direct response to his potential '08 run.

Comment

I would love to see him run in '08. He's a gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          And what we really want to know... Do Kuciwalker's parents have more bathrooms than Al and Tipper Gore?

Comment

I do not see how you can spend $30,000 on electricity in a year.

Comment

The way I read it, that's $16,000 per annum on electricity. The balance on natural gas.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                BTW neither of you has yet acknowledged the response I posted.
                                Do you mean Kalee Kreider's demand that we should all step down one rung? I wish I had the old cartoon of the rich at at the top of the ladder saying that, while the people at the bottom had nowhere to go.

Gore can afford to use as much energy as he likes, spending vast sums on solar panels, windmills and giant hamster wheels to reduce his 'footprint', pay as much tax has his calculator suggests and still live in luxury. Meanwhile, people in the 3rd world are under pressure not to industrialise, and non-rich people in the 1st world are expected to lower their already modest living standards, and pay even more taxes - that they can ill afford.

There are plans afoot which might make it almost impossible to use a car to get to work in Britain, while public transport is useless. These are the eventual measures that Gore's campaigning inflicts upon people - all while he stays living in luxury.

If it's that important to reduce energy consumption he should fill in his swimming pool with landfill waste, close off a few wings of his house, and reduce his energy consumption by about 10 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X