No announcement yet.

Do You Give to Beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least in the US, beggars have plenty of legitimate options, when it comes to obtaining food or shelter. The ones who don't use those, are either drunks/drug addicts, or do well enough begging that they prefer it. Thus, I won't support them. Once I make enough money to be comfortable myself, I'll happily support charities that make good use of the money to support people who want to change.

I however can't speak to other countries who are not as well off as ours
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

In the first place, the shelters don't have room for all.
      In the 2nd place, they're cleared out during the day.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The only beggars I support are my pets.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Since reading some profiles in the paper of the professional beggers. Those that clear 50K a year and have their special begger outfits, I'm a bit more cynical and usually will not donate.
          If they're entertaining or hustling, (i.e waving down cabs and assisting in loading and other such helpful things, (NOTE: DOES NOT INCLUDE WINDSHIELD WASHING since this is a bane on urban America)
          I'm more likely to give a buck.

I donate through the more traditional channels, and yes, I always check the % that actually goes to the needy before I donate.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I NEVER give to beggars here in Calgary --EVER -- I have a different view if they are entertaining or working but I have a few reasons

1. I have been around the homeless shelters enough to know that thus far-- NO ONE is denied a meal-- The food is actually ample.

2. I give to said shelters-- As Mrs Tubes points out , I have no ability or right to dictate where money I give an individual goes-- I have serious doubts if the cash given directly is actually of real benefit

3. The economy here is superhot-- Anyone can get a job and there are ample jobs for the unskilled . If they are willing to go to Fort McMurray, they would be provided food and lodgings AS WELL as an ample paycheck. Seriously, employers are looking for a warm body.

4. Most of the beggars are chronics . .. Its the same folks in the same spots EVERY day. Again cash doesn't help.

Bottom line here is that the vast majority of beggars here are addicts. If they don't have the abilities and faculties sufficient to hold a job here, I don't think they have the faculties to benefit from cash.

I believe the charitable groups are starting to distinguish among the homeless as well. It seems that there is a greater focus on the newly homeless and people that just need a little hand up (ie the employed homeless). Those are the initiatives I can support financially.

The guy with his hand out?? I see no reason to contribute to his next drink/hit/pill ect etc
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Since reading some profiles in the paper of the professional beggers. Those that clear 50K a year and have their special begger outfits, I'm a bit more cynical and usually will not donate.
              If they're entertaining or hustling, (i.e waving down cabs and assisting in loading and other such helpful things, (NOTE: DOES NOT INCLUDE WINDSHIELD WASHING since this is a bane on urban America)
              I'm more likely to give a buck.

I donate through the more traditional channels, and yes, I always check the % that actually goes to the needy before I donate.
              that's the way I feel. Some of those guys probably clear $20 an hour. Those $1 bills add up. They make more than I do!!

maybe I should become a begger.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                I've never given to beggars, as the only beggars I've seen where I live are these:

And whenever I see one I increase the speed to get away from the noise ASAP. When they stand in front of the store I came to visit, then I'll delay my visit to some other day
                I hate those Tripod beggers.

Comment

Yeah, the article was hilarious. Some of them live in quite nice homes in the suburbs and comute into the city daily to beg. One guy claimed he made 70g the year before. It was funny, they showed pictures of him on the golf course and partying with friends and then the costumes he used for work. He had a closet just for those since they had to smell. They didn't list his location or name, because of possible problems with the IRS. Now I know I shouldn't paint all beggers that way, but is he any different then the guy that needs just a 1.50 more to purchase his return train ticket........ Or all the supposed war vets that never served in the military. If you're going to go to all that effort, you might as well get a job.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    Yeah, the article was hilarious. Some of them live in quite nice homes in the suburbs and comute into the city daily to beg. One guy claimed he made 70g the year before. It was funny, they showed pictures of him on the golf course and partying with friends and then the costumes he used for work. He had a closet just for those since they had to smell. They didn't list his location or name, because of possible problems with the IRS. Now I know I shouldn't paint all beggers that way, but is he any different then the guy that needs just a 1.50 more to purchase his return train ticket........ Or all the supposed war vets that never served in the military. If you're going to go to all that effort, you might as well get a job.
                    We actually had a lady that made the papers in Canada for being a suburban beggar. She would dress up in costume and drive downtown and beg all day long. Apparently since she was polite and articulate she did quite well-- although she claimed she "never lied" sicne she would just ask if they couls spare some cash and never said she was hungry or homless or whatnot.

The most honest I saw was a guy holding a sign "Need Money for Weed"--
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

My views on this have changed. When I worked as a delivery driver I would give them change out of the tin if they would talk to me for awhile. The folks who were more interested in scamming folks would just brush me off, while those who really needed the money would not mind.

Since then I've tended to give to the first person who's shown up when I have a bit of cash. Everybody else after that is SOL because I won't have very much money on me in the first place.

I've been in some pretty tough spots, and folks have helped me out. Figure it's the least I could do to help them.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                        Depends. If they are just homeless, "alternative folks" (but not too much) or just poor persons trying to save their days, yes. I always give 50 cents to the old lady playing her .. whatever it's called in english
                        I believe the term is 'mimsy'...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't.

If they use it on drugs, that's their problem and if they scam me, well, I can live with that too.
                          -bondetamp
                          The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                          -H. L. Mencken

Comment

There aren't many beggars out here in the country. When I lived in the city (Roanoke, Baltimore, etc.) I often did. I've given some rides home. Once upon a time I tried to help one that I found sleeping on a sidewalk on a winter night get to a shelter, but he attacked me. I tried it again with another one later with the same results.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I give sometimes, and I don't mind if they use it to get wasted, that's the last thing they can still do.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

We dont have beggars here in Finland. But I do give to the welfare and salvation army from my student allowance.

Abroad I never give to narcotics/mafia/beggars.
                                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                                X