Same-sex Marriage Debate is Officially Over in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
    Where does the constitution speak of Marriage as a fundamental right to individuals? I don't even see it anywhere in the Charter let alone the constitution.

Marriage is not an individual right, like life, liberty and security of the person because it requires the consent of another person. Free speech and the like are all individual rights, marriage is not.
    Equal rights under the law is an individual right. Marriage is a legal institution in our country. Connect the dots.

The bill is flawed because those who are against SSM chose to abstain as they felt that the bill forced them to support SSM whether they voted for or against the bill.
    That does not make the bill flawed -- it just means you disagree with it.

Thank you again Asher.

Jews, Muslims, and Christians of all stripes whether they be Catholics, mainline or evangelicals all are opposed to SSM.

So I don't see why this is Christian tolitarianism.
    Because it's a Christian party with Christian groups mostly opposed to it. Most Jewish groups are not actually opposed to it.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, if you want a civil discussion, I suggest you drop the insults, and the labels for those to whom you disagree.

I will continue discussing with you if and only if you apologise for calling me a bigot and all the other insults.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it was an outright troll, but I thought I should allow people to see how magnaminous you are Asher, and how well you can argue in support of your position.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Asher, if you want a civil discussion, I suggest you drop the insults, and the labels for those to whom you disagree.

I will continue discussing with you if and only if you apologise for calling me a bigot and all the other insults.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it was an outright troll, but I thought I should allow people to see how magnaminous you are Asher, and how well you can argue in support of your position.
        The problem is it doesn't matter if we go through the song and dance of being polite and "civil" when your pretty words mask a deep-seated disrespect for your fellow man, disapproval for something that's very much apart of me and not able to change, and how you believe I should not be able to marry the one I love.

I'm not here to beg you to discuss this with me. There's nothing to discuss aside from your polite bigotry.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

"My threads don't require any thought, they're all obvious trolls" - Asher
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You keep that quote handy?

Comment

Nah, I just remembered it. Rarely such truth had ever been spoken
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm not here to beg you to discuss this with me. There's nothing to discuss aside from your polite bigotry.
                I'm not the one who posts threads saying 'Asher cries in his sleep. '

If you didn't care about what I had to say you wouldn't go out of your way to insult me and to troll me.

Since you haven't been able to refrain from insults, I think I've had enough here today.

Thanks Asher.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I'm not the one who posts threads saying 'Asher cries in his sleep. '
                  That's not bigotry.

If you didn't care about what I had to say you wouldn't go out of your way to insult me and to troll me.

Since you haven't been able to refrain from insults, I think I've had enough here today.

Thanks Asher.
                  You're welcome.

The idea was you'd be a man and admit that this whole charade of religious vitriol against the non-believers was over, but instead you dug yourself another hole.

What's awesome about this is the social conservatives are becoming more and more disliked by people the more they push this nonsense. People who once agreed with them just want to move on, but they're banging their wardrums about the end of civilization 'cause gays can marry.

Comment

Get over yourselves. Hardcore Christians are a diminishing minority. You are fading into irrelevance, and soon to be a persecuted minority as more and more people get fed up with your social totalitarianism.
                    They're either religious bigots or homophobic latent homosexuals. Take your pick. Or, be both like lots of republicans are.
                    And Christians are the tolitarians?

Comment

"soon to be persecuted" is an observation. Nobody likes bigots. Racists are persecuted now, and so shall homophobes. Give society time.

And the second statement is absolutely true. The truth hurts.

No one has a problem with homosexuals marrying eachother unless:
                      1) They're religious
                      2) They're tempted
                      3) All of the above

Comment

As in any free country, Canada will continue to debate and discuss contentious issues. Members of Parliament ought to be free to discuss the issues of the day, and that includes SSM.

So in a free country such as United States, we should have the freedom to debate on whether or not to reinstitute race-based slavery.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          "soon to be persecuted" is an observation. Nobody likes bigots. Racists are persecuted now, and so shall homophobes. Give society time.

I'm all for social intolerance of intolerance.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

So in a free country such as United States, we should have the freedom to debate on whether or not to reinstitute race-based slavery.
                            Yes Democracy above everything, above everything in the world
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

This sucks. Now all my Canadian friends are going to go to hell...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Marriage is not an individual right, like life, liberty and security of the person because it requires the consent of another person. Free speech and the like are all individual rights, marriage is not.

That's a heroically fatuous assertion, BK. The right to have the ability to marry is the right in question, and it is an individual right.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X