Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Kutaragi replaced as president of Sony's gaming unit

Krazy Ken! NO!!!!

Globe Investor offers the most current and up-to-date information on stocks and markets from The Globe and Mail. Find personal finance, mortgage, investment ideas, market information, and stock pick news and analysis from Canada and the world.

Sony names new president of gaming unit

YURI KAGEYAMA

Thursday, November 30, 2006

TOKYO — Sony's video game unit named the head of its U.S. operations as president Thursday, replacing the “father of the PlayStation,” Ken Kutaragi, just as the company is rolling out its newest version of the game machine.

The appointment of Kazuo Hirai to the global management team comes at a crucial time for Sony Corp., which sorely needs a big hit in its PlayStation 3 to repair its battered reputation and books.

Mr. Kutaragi will stay on as chief executive and also become chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment, and the company said he will continue to play a key role in the video game business.

The addition of Mr. Hirai, president and chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, also reflects Sony's efforts to make its top ranks more international.

Since last year, Sony has had a Welsh-born American chief executive officer, Howard Stringer, the first foreigner to ever head the electronics and entertainment giant.

Sony announced Thursday that it was appointing an American, Jack Tretton, head of its U.S. gaming business to replace Mr. Hirai. He's the first non-Japanese to assume that post.

Mr. Tretton, executive vice president at Sony's U.S. gaming unit, helped oversee the launches of the PlayStation series in North America.

“Given his experience and exceptional reputation in the industry, I can think of no better person to assume the helm of the PlayStation brand in the US, Canada and Latin America,” Mr. Hirai said of Mr. Tretton.

David Reeves, of Great Britain, and the head of Sony's European video-game operations, also was appointed vice president at Sony Computer Entertainment.

The appointments are effective Friday, it said.

Mr. Hirai, who will also become chief operating officer, has been instrumental in building the PlayStation business in the United States for the last decade, taking office as president and chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America in 2003.

But Masayuki Otani, analyst at Maruwa Securities Co., was a bit skeptical about the news, noting that the gaming markets are extremely different in the U.S. and Japan.

“Sony is such an old-fashioned company. Success in the U.S. doesn't necessarily mean success elsewhere,” he said. “The appointments could also signal a gradual farewell — 'thank you for the hard work' — for Mr. Kutaragi.”

A few years are needed to assess the success of the PS3, which will likely depend on whether consumers will buy it to watch the next-generation video format it supports, Blu-ray disc, Mr. Otani said.

The machine went on sale in November in Japan and the U.S. to eager fans waiting in long lines overnight. But Sony has already stumbled in mass producing the consoles, and has been able to deliver only limited numbers of the PS3, and has postponed its sale in Europe until March next year.

Mr. Stringer, meanwhile, has been trying to turn around Sony's fortunes, closing plants, wiping out divisions and trimming jobs, after it fell behind rivals in digital music players and flat-panel TVs.

But recovering sales got devastated by a recent massive global battery recall, which cost the Japanese electronics and entertainment company 51 billion yen ($438-million U.S.) in the third quarter.

Startup costs for the PS3 have also battered Sony's books, sending its profit for the July-September quarter nose-diving 94 per cent to 1.7 billion yen.

Almost every major laptop maker in the world, including Dell Inc., Apple Computer Inc. and Lenovo, has announced recalls of Sony lithium-ion batteries that could overheat and burst into flames.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Let's pay our respects with some classic Krazy Ken quotes:

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan (Karate master), and Microsoft is still not a black belt."

"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

"Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun."

"With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

PS3 is "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

"The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline."

"Microsoft is trailing behind us, but they are not a threat. They are good at improving [on products], but we will be advancing to the next level with revolutionary technology."

"We're not going to equip [the PS3 with] a HDD by default, because no matter how much [capacity] we put in it, it won't be enough."

"…the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households."
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm not sure it'll change much for them...
      B♭3

Comment

They're giving more power to us gaijin? Can any good come of this?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
          They're giving more power to us gaijin? Can any good come of this?
          of course, the japanese singlehandedly screwed themselves over by not giving us more power
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

In other news even Nintendo Wii is doing better than Sony and looks to be a viable competitor to Microsoft.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Gamecube started strong, too. I have sincere doubts the Wii will be able to sustain any kind of momentum past a year.

Comment

I'm not saying it will oupace Xbox 360 by any stretch but at present Sony looks to be on pace to making itself a distant 3rd. Short of a more rational pricing scheme.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Gamecube started strong, too. I have sincere doubts the Wii will be able to sustain any kind of momentum past a year.
                  Yes, the market will no doubt be utterly dominated by Microsoft, provided all consumers have your priorities. Also, the NHL will continue its wild popularity and the world's population will plummet as a result of men refusing to have sex with women.

Really, get over yourself. I'm actually vaguely tempted to get a Wii, and I laughed off the whole last generation of consoles. I don't care about incredible graphics or whatever, just something simple and fun. And I'm sure as hell not going to contribute to yet another Microsoft monopoly by purchasing an X360--and I think it's fair to say that it's a contest between them and Nintendo now that Sony has chosen to drink the Kool-aid by the gallon.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                    I'm not saying it will oupace Xbox 360 by any stretch but at present Sony looks to be on pace to making itself a distant 3rd. Short of a more rational pricing scheme.
                    The Onion had the price comparison between the PS3 and the Wii just about right.

PS3: ****ing ridiculous.
                    Wii: Affordably ridiculous.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      Yes, the market will no doubt be utterly dominated by Microsoft, provided all consumers have your priorities. Also, the NHL will continue its wild popularity and the world's population will plummet as a result of men refusing to have sex with women.
                      This is not based on my personal preference. This is based on historical record for Nintendo. If you'll recall this is not the first time they've tried the approach of making games "simple and accessible". They rely on the same old games constantly and think by switching to a new control style suddenly the games become new. People have forgotten about Mario. They don't care anymore. Nintendos sales history proves this.

They add a controller with a huge novelty factor and without upgrading any of the other technology, then they add $150 onto the price. That's not going to do well long term when the novelty factor wears off. Even reading the IGN forums, many gamers found the Zelda controls "neat" at first but now wish they could use their Gamecube controllers in the game, but they can't.

Then, look at the game titles Nintendo has coming out in 2007. The list is pretty sad. There's really no AAA games that look to be coming out except for Super Duper Mario Smash Fun Game version 10, or whatever.

Really, get over yourself.
                      Get over yourself, you mean. Why do I care if you're tempted to buy a Wii, suddenly it's going to be extremely popular?

Comment

This is only temporary
                        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

To be honest, Nintendo's making a very risky bet on whether they can pull casual gamers.

If they succeed, they'll trounce Sony and be very healthy in second.

If they fail, I honestly think it'll be a toss-up between the PS3 and the Wii for second place.
                          B♭3

Comment

Here's a list of Wii exclusives (announced). I've bolded the ones that will likely actually sell a million copies or more.

Animal Crossing
                            Battalion Wars 2 / BWii2
                            Big Brain Academy
                            Disaster: Day of Crisis
                            Excite Truck
                            Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
                            Forever Blue
                            Hajimete no Wii: Your First Step To Wii
                            Mario Strikers Charged
                            Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
                            Pokemon Battle Revolution
                            Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
                            Super Smash Bros. Brawl
                            Super Mario Galaxy
                            Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
                            Wii Music Orchestra
                            Wii Motor Sports Airplane
                            Wii Sports
                            Rapala Trophies
                            AGFRAG
                            Bob Ross Paining
                            Atlus
                            Tramua Center: Second Opinion
                            Banpresto
                            Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King
                            Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles
                            Hudson
                            Kororinpa
                            Sky Workers
                            Samurai Warriors Wave
                            Elebits
                            Bust-a-Move Revolution
                            Marvelous
                            Harvest Moon (Bokujou Monogatari)
                            Ennichi no Tatsujin
                            One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
                            SD Gundam: Scud Hammer
                            Tamagotchi no Pika Pika Daito-ryo-!
                            Sadness
                            Bleach: Wii Shiraha Kirameku Rinbukyoku
                            Sonic and the Secret Rings
                            Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
                            Heroes
                            Necro-Nesia
                            Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
                            Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers
                            Cooking Mama
                            Swing Golf Pangya
                            Naruto: Geiktou Ninja Taisen Series
                            Red Steel

That list looks pretty sad, IMO.

Comment

PS3 exclusives look pretty sad also, but with some guaranteed sellers:

Afrika
                              Eight Days
                              Fomula One 06
                              Genji: Days of the Blade
                              Gran Turismo HD (this is GT4 in 1080p without the dust/smoke effects)
                              Heavenly Sword
                              Hot Shots Golf
                              Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
                              Killzone 2
                              Lair
                              MotorStorm
                              Monster Kingdom: Unknown Realms
                              My Summer Vacation
                              Resistance: Fall of Man
                              Singstar
                              The Eye of Judgement
                              Warhawk
                              White Knight Story
                              DC Universe
                              Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
                              Devil May Cry 4
                              Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
                              Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
                              Ridge Racer 7
                              Tekken 6
                              L.A. Noire
                              Fifth Phantom Saga
                              Full Auto 2: Battlelines
                              Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club
                              Virtua Fighter 5
                              Final Fantasy XIII
                              Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Taito
                              Railfan

Comment

Working...
                              X