Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Don't cattle ranchers get subsidies?

I don't know. Given that we were talking about farm subsidies, however, I don't think it matters at the moment.
    Oh dear, do you want to go through the ordeal of debating what exactly a "farm" constitutes? Maybe argue as well what the "West" entails? I may be so unkind to consider the Dokatos as the "West" you know. I'm the type that relishes semantical warfare. Consider yourself a warned man.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I may be so unkind to consider the Dokatos as the "West"

What are the Dokatos?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You lose.

Thank you, come again.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

must be all the pig blood from 1980 in norco

"I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Nevada: 439 or 15% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
            Utah: 2,987 or 20% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
            Colorado: 10,163 or 32% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.

Nevada has less than 3000 farms in the entire state?

I rest my case. Hard to imagine these states are raking in the money from farm subsidies when they don't have any farms...
            # of farms isn't a very instructive figure. Acreage, perhaps? I mean, you could have big, "industrial" farms that would skew the number down, or tons of little farms skewing it up.

Or how about the total $$ amount paid out in agricultural subsidies per state? That seems to be the best measure... if we really care...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

They're not subsidies, they're disaster relief! For all the disasters! Like that day when it was kinda cloudy and even some lightning!

Comment

That seems to be the best measure... if we really care...

I don't, but feel free to knock yourself out. Let me know if you find that mountain/desert states like Utah/Nevada have more farm acreage and get more farm subsidies than eastern farm states like Indiana and Iowa. Me, I'm just going to assume that's the case...

edit: This should help you in your quest...

Since our founding in 1973, The Heritage Foundation has been working to advance the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  They're not subsidies, they're disaster relief! For all the disasters! Like that day when it was kinda cloudy and even some lightning!
                  Yeah, I remember that was huge in the 90's. The Congress would pass a "distater relief" package for farmers when the only disaster was that farmers told their Congressman they wouldn't vote for them unless Congress gave them cash.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't, but feel free to knock yourself out. Let me know if you find that mountain/desert states like Utah/Nevada have more farm acreage and get more farm subsidies than eastern farm states like Indiana and Iowa. Me, I'm just going to assume that's the case...

http://www.heritage.org/research/agriculture/BG1514.cfm
                    wouldnt we expect this to be trend though?
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Drake is ignoring that the midwest states also have a diversified economy. Indiana, for all of its farms and agricultural output, still has lots of urban areas to dilute the farm vote.

Other then the ranchers, miners, and odd farmer several huge sections of the west don't have jack cheese. Look at the Congressional district maps and you can figure out which places those are because you find giant areas all covered by one district.

In those areas virtually everyone works in some sector related to agriculture or some sort of extractive industry (mining, logging, etc) so these people are very aware of politicians who offer them subsidies or discounted rates to use federal land. One of the big deals for many of these Republican Congressmen has been to open up federal lands to private users for literally pennies on the dollar to graze cattle, build mines, log, etc... That's far below market rate and it is a defacto subsidy.

Not surprising those people vote for the politician which offers them the most cash and discounted prices.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

http://www.heritage.org/research/agriculture/BG1514.cfm
                        That trend line is complete bull****. Not only is there no good fit to that data set, one of the axes has no quantitative information!

Comment

Who cares about the trend line? I just posted it for the information on acreage under cultivation and the subsidies per acre in dollars.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That's not a "trend line."

edit: x-post.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

the thing that you have to look at though is total dollar value. we should expect that the higher the acerage and thus output the less the need for subsidy.

but an average of 250 dollars over a million acres is more than 300 dollars over 3k acres

Comment

We should check what types of produce receive most subsidies proportionally to the dollar-value thereof.

Comment

Working...
                                X