The NEW Red vs. Blue US map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Which doesn't quite stop them from accepting farm subsidies, I presume?

How many Western states do you think get large amounts of farm subsidies? It's not like Colorado, Utah or Nevada are chock full of corn fields...
    Those states have huge cattle industries. Don't cattle ranchers get subsidies?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i realize that now
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Don't cattle ranchers get subsidies?

I don't know. Given that we were talking about farm subsidies, however, I don't think it matters at the moment.

Those states have huge cattle industries.

Whatever, dude. Nebraska and Texas pwn everyone else when it comes to cattle industries...

edit: Hardly an unbiased source, but...

U.S. cattle producers continue to urge international trade negotiators to break down barriers to U.S. beef and create increased global market access opportunities through tariff reduction...

Increased market access through tariff reduction is the core mechanism by which U.S. cattle producers can thrive in the global marketplace. For our industry, this ultimately depends on the percentage of tariff reductions in the agreement, since U.S. beef producers receive no domestic supports or export subsidies.

Initiated in 1898, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association is the marketing organization and trade association for America's one million cattle farmers and ranchers. With offices in Denver and Washington, D.C., NCBA is a consumer-focused, producer-directed organization representing the largest segment of the nation's food and fiber industry.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Both houses of Congress are in play in this year's midterm election. With the war in Iraq and questions over the economy souring the national mood, the Democrats believe they have a chance to seize control of Congress, while the Republicans believe they have a chance to hold onto the reins of power by emphasizing the fight against terrorism and charges that Democrats are out of the mainstream.

She's corrupt as **** (openly kept the money DeLay laundered to her), caught from unbelievably ignorant and racist comments repeatedly on house floor ("I know who Victoria's secret is. She is a slut" when she's supposed to speak about US energy policy ), obviously incompetent for her job and they still re-elect her with 970 votes? Blindly voting with the party line

Comment

I always liked this map better... I'd like to see an update, but I imagine it would look very similar.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

all forms industry accept subsidies and insist on them. the question of who you vote for really comes down to the party that represents more of your ideals in proportional importance than it doesnt. so urban voters would vote for a party that reflects urban ideals and promotion, and vice versa.

as for farm subsidies, the only thing hypocritical about them is that the people who are generally in favor of them are also against government regulation of how to live
              their lifes. but farm subsidies are totally a way of allowing an outdated and uneconomic lifestyle to exsist.
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

U.S. beef producers receive no domestic supports or export subsidies.

Yeah, they just get "disaster relief" for the Space Shuttle Columbia burning up over them.

Comment

I think that's more general Texas corruption than beef industry hypocrisy...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Those states have huge cattle industries. Don't cattle ranchers get subsidies?
                    California produces more cattle than any of the states mentioned.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      Which doesn't quite stop them from accepting farm subsidies, I presume?

How many Western states do you think get large amounts of farm subsidies? It's not like Colorado, Utah or Nevada are chock full of corn fields...

Nevada: 439 or 15% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
                      Utah: 2,987 or 20% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
                      Colorado: 10,163 or 32% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

No, that was just an example. The WaPo had a piece a while back demonstrating how the disaster-relief fund for cattle ranchers ended up just being handouts to the entire industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

California produces more cattle than any of the states mentioned.

ACK!
                          i dont doubt this for a second. coalinga smells to high heaven the likes of which i have never experienced

Comment

I don't like farm subsidies because:

1) They ruin the lives of massive numbers of third world farmers due to unfair competition.

2) They allow corrupt politicians to buy votes. (I.E. vote for me and I'll get you more money not to farm)

3) The make tax payers pay twice for food (once when they buy it and once when they pay their taxes though it is likely a wash since consumers pay less for food).

4) It really is an aboration of our free trade position. It's hard for us to push the Chinese to open their markets to our goods when we're busy being hippocrits and subsidizing our own.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

i dont doubt this for a second. coalinga smells to high heaven the likes of which i have never experienced
                              Norco stinks too. That place is one big feed lot for cattle which get chopped up by illegal Mexican workers and then sold across the world.

Comment

Nevada: 439 or 15% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
                                Utah: 2,987 or 20% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.
                                Colorado: 10,163 or 32% of all farms receiving gov't subsidies.

Nevada has less than 3000 farms in the entire state?

I rest my case. Hard to imagine these states are raking in the money from farm subsidies when they don't have any farms...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X