The NEW Red vs. Blue US map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    I'd defy you to find any Republican delegation anywhere in the country as adept at pork spending as Robert Byrd.
    Ted Stevens.

What do I win?

Comment

Ted Stevens got called out on and lost his greatest pork project. Robert Byrd > Ted Stevens...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Alaska ended up with the money anyway.

Comment

Really?
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            I make a general statement about ideological leanings of the West, yet your attempted refutation rests on a comparison of pork spending between the South and the North?

Because you said that Republicans fear "big" government. I say such fear among Republicans is superficial or hypocritical, because in the past, statistics have shown that Southern red states have received more money from "big" government than many Northern blue states.

We're afraid of big government -- oh, but if you're going to hand out money to us, we can live with big government then.

Not to mention, that historically, and continuing today, this rhetoric of "states' rights" has, more often than not, been used to deny minority groups of civil rights. So the red states' notion of "states' rights" is not as noble as it may appear on the surface.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              Really?
              Yeah, they removed the money from the bridge project and put it into a general transportation fund for Alaska

Comment

Because you said that Republicans fear "big" government.

Where did I say that?

Not to mention, that historically, and continuing today, this rhetoric of "states' rights" has, more often than not, been used to deny minority groups of civil rights. So the red states' notion of "states' rights" is not as noble as it may appear on the surface.

What are you going on about? States rights has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand...

Yeah, they removed the money from the bridge project and put it into a general transportation fund for Alaska

KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

In the USA they are to scared to annoy the farmers, because of their electoral system they end up being over represented.
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

So, what do I win?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Has your brain deteriorated so far now that you can't even read a basic graph? Texas isn't very high on the list of states in terms of subsidies per acre under cultivation...
                      Your brain is the one off kilter as is usual. I'm talking about highest in total amount of dollars in subsidies recieved. That is generally what is meant when someone says so & so recieves the most in subsidies.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• So, what do I win?

I still think Byrd wins due to sheer longevity, but you've made a good case for Stevens...
                        Last edited by Drake Tungsten; November 11, 2006, 03:23.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I'm talking about highest in total amount of dollars in subsidies recieved. That is generally what is meant when someone says so & so recieves the most in subsidies.

So you think the biggest agricultural state in the Union is greedy because it gets the most subsidies, even though its average per acre is far from the highest?
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What would be more interesting would be to see a graph of agricultural subsidies per population.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• in california, farmers pay $15 per acre foot of water, while urban users pay $100 per acre foot. is that included as part of subsidies anywhere?
                              in washington and oregon, I think that many farmers get water for free.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                                yeah, it actually looks like the west (Baring the coast) is what is Republican

True. Makes sense, given that Western individualism and mistrust of government doesn't seem to jibe well with much of what the Democratic party stands for.

It's interesting how you're trying to deny what you have said.

Words such as "mistrust of government" certainly means fear of "big government," which brings us back to why I brought up fear of big government that red states have -- I mentioned the Southern red states because of their higher levels of receiving federal government subsidies, but this does include the Western red states as well, as far as fear of big government is concerned . . . . . . .

which is what you brought up, in the first place. Hence, my point in describing the hypocrisy of red states that receive higher government subisides, yet professing to have a "mistrust of government." Hence, also, my point in another example of red state hypocrisy; using the cloak of states' rights in the past, and in the present, as merely an evil means to deny minority groups their civil rights.

thanks for playing
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X