California Judge declares High School diplomas meaningless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    One of my best friends taught photography in a school in Cabrini Green. They had no cameras and no film and they had only enough books for half the class (and the books were old and beat up too).
    A photography class in HS? Isn't that a waste of resources?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sounds like the design and photography classes at the university I worked at in China. Yet, they could afford brand new computers that no one was allowed to use. There do seem to be a lot of similar problems between a lot universities in China and a lot of high schools in the US.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: We're Innocent ... (Well, Mostly)

Originally posted by Adam Smith
        "The English language is the product of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids, with equally legitimate results."
        - H. Beam Piper
        Which makes your ability to murder it even more shameful!!!
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
          Which circumstances prevent basic numeracy? Like 2 x 8=16 kinda stuff?
          Getting slapped in the back of the head by a bully every time someone asks the question can ****** your response.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            You do realize this is the first time that this "don't pass the exam you don't get a diploma" thing has ever happened?

So basically what you're saying is that the diplomas from the past 100+ years are meaningless?
            While I wouldn't go that far, I'll bet they'd like to have your diploma back.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              It really is more of a cultural thing. Whites and Asians go through the same school systems and graduate with a fine education.

But not the same schools. Schools for minorities are generally much poorer, even if the overall school system is good. Part of that is cultural and a result of students who don't give a damn. Part of it is lack of resources. Part of it is crappy resources. It ain't easy to learn when a rat drops onto you desk. Part of it is burnt out teachers.
              Worse than the funding (which tends to be better in some of the worst school districts btw) shortages that some minorities face is the reinforcement of their own anti-scholastic cultural notions by an entire school system / community. Then they sue the state so that they can bring everyone else down to their level. At last a level playing field, in the basement.

Comment

Right, put all the blame on the ******s and spics!
                Nice of you to forget the Asians . Even in countries where the Asian immigrants are there as unskilled labour , they rise economically . Unskilled Indian immigrants in Britain rose . Unskilled Bangladeshi and Pakistani immigrants to the same country did not . I think you can blame culture for that .

Comment

"Getting slapped in the back of the head by a bully every time someone asks the question can ****** your response."

You see this is where the Korean education system shines. If someone DARED behave like that in a Korean classroom they would be a bloody smear on the floor.

Seriously, we need to important the unique Asian 'bamboo cane' technology, combined with cops.

Someone starts beating on the nerds, they get a public beating. They pull a gun, our cop shoots them first. The parents can go suck my dick if they want to sue. **** 'civil rights', education trumps that.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

California! Truly, "The land of fruits and nuts"!

We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

As long as it doesn't, it's not permissible for the state to discriminate on those grounds.

Besides, you can't call English your official language in any case. You Americans can't even spell properly and have reduced what was a wonderful language to a series of simian grunts.
                      Why not? Set english as one of the arbitrary course loads required.

Is it descrimintatory to make children learn botany or geography in one district, but not hell I don't know...... underwarter african basket weaving in another?

The problem is **** parents and a **** neighborhoods(as has been said above several times) and not money.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Is it possible to have something like a reduced load programme which takes 5 years instead of 4?
                        Well I taught remedial algebra where the load is traditionally 1 year, but the course is spread out over 1.5 years, but the results were the same.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

Maybe the teachers were the problem.
                          You're trying to be cute, but unfortunately the teachers are the only ones who get the blame. That's why a lot of us have left the profession. When I started all of the teachers told me to get the hell out now, before you spend 20+ years. It was hard, but I did the right thing.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Nice of you to forget the Asians . Even in countries where the Asian immigrants are there as unskilled labour , they rise economically . Unskilled Indian immigrants in Britain rose . Unskilled Bangladeshi and Pakistani immigrants to the same country did not . I think you can blame culture for that .
                            One thing worth noting is that the "******s and spics" are usually not immigrants, but the relatively recent descendants of slaves or the disenfranchished/apartheid under-class.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Why are people saying "It's not society, it money"? There's no difference between the two in the world we live in.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Culture =! money. Are the two connected? Clearly, especially in our USofA. But they are not the same thing.

Money is a factor - schools should be in good condition and properly supplied, as well as kept safe. But the attitude of the parents & students towards education also matters... a lot.

It's a multi-faceted problem. It will not be fixed, however, by trying to sweep it under the rug (you can't speak, read or write English properly... no problem, here's a diploma!).

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X