Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm torn on the issue, but if forced to pick a side (hopefully Rollins won't get to 56, thus avoiding the issue) I'd agree with Imran.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      I'm torn on the issue, but if forced to pick a side (hopefully Rollins won't get to 56, thus avoiding the issue) I'd agree with Imran.

-Arrian
      Me too - but we don't have to worry about that now, do we?

The Phils are looking like crap so far. Of course, a lot of teams playing the Cardinals are going to look like crap this year, but it hurts starting the season 0-3.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

When you're on the bottom, there's only one way to go!

Comment

Unless you're the Royals. It can always get worse.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Hey, forget the Royals! A-Rod is making $10 million MORE than the entire Marlins payroll!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Jeff Suppan... bad

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                When you're on the bottom, there's only one way to go!
                Washington, DC?
                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  A hitting streak should not be "continued" into the next season IMO... that's bull****. The last season ended. It's over. So is the streak. Period.

It's a consecutive game hitting streak, not a 'consecutive game hitting streak in one season'. It is silly that the end of the year ends Rollins' streak.
                  What if Rollins had gotten injured in the off-season and missed this year, completely?

Should the "streak" pick up if he starts next season?

You just like to argue stupid points, don't you? That is... only if I'm on the opposite side.

That's what I think is going on here. You just like to disagree with me, no matter what.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

For the most part, that's a pretty reasonable policy.

-Arrian

Comment

[q=Sava]What if Rollins had gotten injured in the off-season and missed this year, completely?

Should the "streak" pick up if he starts next season?[/q]

What part of 'consecutive games' do you not understand? If Rollins got injured... wouldn't he be missing the next game in the schedule... ie, the consecutive game? OTOH, the consecutive game to the last game of the regular season is the first game of the next regular season.

If it is such a stupid position, I wonder why the official rule agrees with me .

[q=Arrian]For the most part, that's a pretty reasonable policy.[/q]

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

What part of 'consecutive games' do you not understand? If Rollins got injured... wouldn't he be missing the next game in the schedule... ie, the consecutive game? OTOH, the consecutive game to the last game of the regular season is the first game of the next regular season.

If it is such a stupid position, I wonder why the official rule agrees with me .

I didn't realize there was an "official rule"...

I was just commenting on the media coverage.

AFAIK, there are seperate records, regarding hitting streaks. DiMaggio's record would be safe... meaning Rollins would have to go beyond just 21 games into this season for the "official" record. According to what I've heard and read.

A reasonable policy?

So a guy can take 5 years off, then come back, and still have a hitting streak?

That's complete nonsense.

Rollins ended last season with a hitting streak. And he's started this one with a new one. That's it.

In the teams standings, in the newspapers, when the season starts... you know the column for last 10 games, do they have the last 10 games from last season?

No... because last season is over.

All streaks are over... they're done... ended. Kaput. Finished. They end when the season ends.

Period.

That's why we have seasons. They are seperate and distinct. It's not just one long continuous season.

What Rollins is doing is unique... and different. It's an obscure stat.

But it has nothing to do with DiMaggio's streak... not until game 57 of THIS SEASON.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So a guy can take 5 years off, then come back, a still have a hitting streak.

Who says?

Rollins ended last season with a hitting streak. And he's started this one with a new one.

Nope, sorry, that's not the case. MLB (not just the media) credited Rollins with extending his consecutive games hitting streak with his hits in the first two games of this year.

All streaks are over... they're done... ended. Kaput. Finished. They end when the season ends.

So Cal Ripken doesn't have a consecutive games played streak record of over 2200 straight games?! After all, his streak was over each time the season ended.

Comment

I'll make an exception if Rollins can get a hit in every game in a full season.

To compare Ripken's record to a hitting streak is just pure idiocy. But I expected as much.

oh, and just because MLB (bud selig) does it, doesn't mean it's the right call...

remember the tie in the All-Star game?

or the STEROIDS POLICY?

yeah, MLB really is doing what's right for the game

but we've already established you just go with the flow, you don't think for yourself

(or you just disagree with me for the hell of it)
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To compare Ripken's record to a hitting streak is just pure idiocy.

A streak is a streak. What's exactly the difference? You like one of them but not the other?

remember the tie in the All-Star game?

So you'd rather told both managers to suck it up and let one of the relievers pitch more innings than his regular manager would allow him to do, to risk injury for a mid season exhibition?!

or the STEROIDS POLICY?

Push it too hard, too fast, and risk another strike by the MLBPA less than 10 years after one that crippled the game by canceling the World Series?!

Man, you'd make one crappy Commissioner, Sava. Maybe Selig isn't the best of them, but at least he wouldn't make such bonehead moves as you seem apt to do!

Comment

Imran... the quintessential Yes-Man

You should apply for a job with MLB. Bud would love you.

Maybe Selig isn't the best of them

Anyone who doesn't think Bud Selig is the worst commissioner in the history of the game... well... I have no respect for anything that person thinks, regarding baseball.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X