Los Angeles is friggin' BIG!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Plus Sears Point, which, IIRC, is in Pomona?
    There was talk in the 1990's of turning the old El Cajun Speedway into a NASCAR location but it feel through when the investors decided it would cost to much and there weren't enough NASCAR fans in the area to support it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      There are a number of other cities in LA county though they're basically just bedroom communities economicaly dependent upon LA. They just keep themselves seperate because they want to maintain control of the schools and so they can make sure their tax money stays local instead of being dumped into things like the Belmont learning center.

Now there was an absolute boondoggle caused by the cities black council members. They so wanted a huge new high school and community college for their run down neighborhood that they ignored all the health and safety rules by building it on top of one of the last large undeveloped lots in that part of the city... Which just happened to be an old oil field/processing facility which was contaminated with V.O.C.s, P.A.Hs, vinyl clouride, and a host of other nasty cancer causing substances. They ended up dumping $350-$400 million into this white elephant when they originally demanded it be built on a brown field site because it would save $10 million. All the other new learning centers only cost around $50 million.
      serves anyone right if they try to circumvent procedure or policy to gain an inside track.

Shame, for we all lose from Taxpayers to the children left outside the circle
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
        No, that's north of San Francisco, in Sonoma if I recall.
        Yes the track is at the intersection of Highway 37 and 121. It is about 30 min from my house. Sonoma is about 20 min from the track. On race days do not go by it unless you are going to the race. Traffic is like the 405 and I-80 mixed. You could not move for an hour.

Comment

Since they redefined "Tokyo" to mean "1/5th of Japan".

Not even close. It's actually pretty easy to figure out where metro areas begin and end in Japan, since nearly every major city in the country fills up every inch of the plain it's built on and then ends abruptly at the surrounding mountains. Tokyo just happens to be on the Kanto Plain, the biggest expanse of flat land in the country, which is big enough to cram in 35 million people between the sea and the mountains (at an average population density of 1,192 persons per square kilometer).
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:11.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, it is one of a kind. I still wouldn't live there though.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

When the city expands to fill the county, the county government should dissolve.

In California there is only one case where the city and the county are the same - San Francisco. It is one of many reasons the city government there has the ability to test out all sorts of new programs.

Not sure if there are other cases elsewhere.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Not even close. It's actually pretty easy to figure out where metro areas begin and end in Japan, since nearly every major city in the country fills up every inch of the plain it's built on and then ends abruptly at the surrounding mountains. Tokyo just happens to be on the Kanto Plain, the biggest expanse of flat land in the country, which is big enough to cram in 35 million people between the sea and the mountains (at an average population density of 1,192 persons per square kilometer).
                  QTF

The met area (Keihinyo MMA) is actually made of 23 special wards with its own mayors and councils and an additional 120 "cities" including both the core cities and other cities in Chiba, Kanagawa and Saitama prefectures.

This is the map of Tokyo Metropolis. You can see the 23 wards plus the Tama "cities"

Below is the map of the Greater Tokyo Metropolitan Area, as you can see Tokyo itself is just a small slice of the entire metropolis. The areas of Gumma, Tochigi and Ibaraki are additional areas considered part of the National Capital Region.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by laurentius; March 22, 2006, 03:04.
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

L.A. is big? So how long does it take to walk from one side to the other?
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I wonder why for the bay area, they have only 3 million and change (and it says SF/ Oakland) I know SJ has 1 million by itself, SF has 800,000. I wonder if they took into account SJ? I think the metropolitan area should be the entire bay area (which I think has over 5 million, but im not sure)
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                        When the city expands to fill the county, the county government should dissolve.

In California there is only one case where the city and the county are the same - San Francisco. It is one of many reasons the city government there has the ability to test out all sorts of new programs.

Not sure if there are other cases elsewhere.
                        It's happening a lot more here on the east coast, where county sizes are smaller. Georgia alone has 159 counties in an area 1/3 the size of CA (58 counties).

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

It was a bit of a joke, Drake, given that the 35 million metro area figure represents quite a large proportion of the total population of the country. As a matter of fact, I underguessed - the metro Tokyo population is actually 27% of Japan's, not 20%. In comparison, metro NY with its 18 million represents just 6% of the US.

Appreciate the info, though.
                          Last edited by JohnT; March 22, 2006, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            L.A. is big? So how long does it take to walk from one side to the other?

You're kidding, right?

Well, it's 99 miles (160 km) from Thousand Oaks to San Bernadino (E-W), and 76 miles (122km) N-S from San Fernando to San Juan Capistrano. Riverside County actually runs all the way to Arizona, so I'm not counting all of it in this estimation (no Palm Springs, Indio, La Quinta, etc). That's around 7,524 sq miles (19,487 sq km) in size, near 1/2 the size of Denmark.

But it's just not the distance... LA isn't a city that's really built for walking from one side to the other. It can be done but it would be difficult.
                            Last edited by JohnT; March 22, 2006, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

You're kidding, right?

Well, I'm not really interested in trying to do it

I'm living in small town, but walking from one end to another already takes an hour... and how many times is L.A. larger than this place?
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

besides you got to fight the gauchos halfway there!
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X