Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odin
    Filling out an entire county?
    Actually, we almost fill out the entire county. Check out JohnT's map at the top of this page:

Santa Clarita is separated from LA's urban sprawl by a strip of unbuilt-upon mountains. Then Hwy 14 heads from there, northeast through some more low mountains which were thrown up by the San Andreas Fault.

On the other side of those mountains (and still in LA County) is the southern end of the Mojave Desert, containing the City of Palmdale, the town of Lancaster, and the itty bitty down of Lake Los Angeles. The local joke is: No lake; no Los Angeles.

Comment

Alright, Snake.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

New York (same scale):

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          I'd rather live in Minneapolis/St. Paul area over LA fo sure

oh yeah

Walleye and the Mall of Americas
          On the other hand, today I had lunch in my shirtsleeves at a sidewalk cafe. It was only supposed to be 61, but a nearby thermometer said 69.

Comment

You were only wearing sleeves?

Comment

Actually, restaurants require shirts and shoes. Nothing is said about pants.

Comment

It was a bit of a joke, Drake, given that the 35 million metro area figure represents quite a large proportion of the total population of the country. As a matter of fact, I underguessed - the metro Tokyo population is actually 27% of Japan's, not 20%. In comparison, metro NY with its 18 million represents just 6% of the US.

Oh. I thought you were talking land area. Anyway, I was just using your comment as an excuse to talk about the pattern of urbanization in Japan, a subject that still fascinates me even after having lived here for a few years. Sorry...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Please do talk more about that Drake.

Seriously.
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

There's not that much to say, really; everyone already knows that they have only tiny bits of flat land to cram their cities onto in the midst of all the sparsely populated mountains. It's really cool to see in person, however, and completely different from most of the cities I'm familiar with in America.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Los Angeles the City is bigger in land area than NYC:

LA is supposedly 465.9 Square Miles
                      NYC is 321 Square miles.

So LA is over 100 Square miles bigger than NYC.

At the same time, NYC has more than twice the number of people.

According to Wiki, NYC has a density of 10,292 per square kilometer vs. LA's 3,041.3 per square kilometer

BUt honestly, who has a more classy flag:

or
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        There's not that much to say, really; everyone already knows that they have only tiny bits of flat land to cram their cities onto in the midst of all the sparsely populated mountains. It's really cool to see in person, however, and completely different from most of the cities I'm familiar with in America.
                        Kind of odd Japanese cities don't seem to build as much upward as do Hong-Kong or New York.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I think the regular earthquakes have something to do with that.

Speaking of which, did anyone else read that article about Taipei 101 being suspected of causing earthquakes?
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It really is friggin big...

Camden, AR, to the same scale NYC and LA and Tokyo were earlier (Camden is the one circled in blue)

Each of the bigger circles is about 15000 people...each of the smaller is anywhere from 500 to 5,000

And yes, everything else is woods or trailers. I'm missing most of the really small communities, but we're talking about places where you can see a "Now Leaving" sign and think, "what, did I just go through a city?"
                            Attached Files
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                              Yes, Tokyo was a trip to remember.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The San Diego flag is pretty weird. It's like a bunch of gringos were sitting around in 1846 and just decided to modify the Mexican national flag. I have no idea why they chose the colors they did. Still beats La's flag though.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X