Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adagio

Well, I'm not really interested in trying to do it

I'm living in small town, but walking from one end to another already takes an hour... and how many times is L.A. larger than this place?
    Well to give you an idea, Montreal, from East to west is about 45 km and from north to south its about 20 km...So imagine L.A....Plus all the polution....so walking is not an option.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well to give you an idea, Montreal,
      That doesn't help
      Monkey!!!

Comment

-Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

There are no county governments in the Five Boroughs., thought each county has kept its own District Attorney.

Besides, NYC did not "fill out", but instead New York City (then NY County and Richmond County) joined with the City of Brooklyn (Kings county) and all the townships and small cities in Queens County to form the modern NYC. Then the Bronx became its own county after NYC was one.

Nassau was invited to join NYC but opted out.
          I thought Nassau was part of Queens County, but consisted of the townships (Hempstead, West Hempstead, and Oyster Bay) that refused to join, while Flushing and Jamaica did join.

Also note that the City of Brooklyn and Kings County had been coterminous (sp?) for only a few years prior to joining NYC. Before that City of Brooklyn included only the northern half of Kings County - Flatbush, New Utrecht and I think Bushwick were independent townships.

If you go the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, theres a marker somewhere showing the boundary between the town of Flathbush and the City of Brooklyn, ISTR.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

It's happening a lot more here on the east coast, where county sizes are smaller. Georgia alone has 159 counties in an area 1/3 the size of CA (58 counties).
            Yeah and our counties are big. For instance San Diego county is larger then New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhoad Island combined. That's after they went through four rounds of making the county smaller in the 19th and early twentith centuries. Orange County, Imperial County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and Inyo County all used to be part of San Diego County but have opted for local control over the years and have split off. The last one to split off was Imperial County which occured around WW1.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Yeah and our counties are big. For instance San Diego county is larger then New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhoad Island combined. That's after they went through four rounds of making the county smaller in the 19th and early twentith centuries. Orange County, Imperial County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and Inyo County all used to be part of San Diego County but have opted for local control over the years and have split off. The last one to split off was Imperial County which occured around WW1.
              WTF? Massachusettes alone more than twice the size of San Diego county. Maybe you mean San Bernardino county (largest in the lower 48), which is a little smaller than Mass, NJ and RI combined?
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ick, you're right. It was bigger then those states before it was cut down not after. Sorry for the error. Now it is only 4,261 square miles in size.

Comment

To compare New Jersey is 7,417 sq miles in size.
                  Connecticut 5,544 sq mi
                  Rhode Island 1,045 sq mi

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:12.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: Los Angeles is friggin' BIG!!

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      Everyone knows that the City of Los Angeles is the second largest city in American. That's nothing new.

But I just learned some mind boggling facts about L.A. County.

We're not only the most populous county in the nation, but if we were divided in half, we'd almost be the two largest counties in the nation.

We have more people than 43 states.

In the next twenty years, we're expected to add the equivalent of the City of Chicago to our population.

--But what I don't understand is why all 9.9 million Angelenoes have to be in front of me on the freeway and be going really slow!
                      how can you fit that many people? No way the roads can handle it.

I'm always amazed at projections of my city. There is simply no room to put these people. We are near capacity already. Eventually we will have to be like cities in the eastern U.S. and do the urban sprawl thing. They will have to build small/medium towns on the other side of the mountains and hills.

Comment

Uh, we're talking about Los Angeles and you claim that "urban sprawl" is an "Eastern" thing?

Comment

yeah LA was pretty bad. You had that one big huge city on the other side of that mountain pass. Pasadena was the name I believe. That alone is a big ass city. And I've never seen San Bernadino, but I imagine that is big. I'm not sure how many people who live there and work in LA, however.

And I noticed all those towns between San Diego and LA. Many of those people made the morning drive into LA. I know because last time in San Diego I left at 3 AM and still hit traffic going back to Vegas.

Comment

LA is insane. I went through there one time on the bus. There's no place quite like it (for better or worse).

Comment

Let's do something... I think it would be interesting. Let's find Google maps images of all the metropolises we've talked about in this thread and post them for comparison. We should all take screenshots at the same scale, so that from the images, we can compare how much territory each citiy takes up. Any takers?

Comment

But Los Angeles is soo friggin' BIG we'd need a satellite orbitting Neptune to fit it all in one picture.

L.A. is just, like, real big, man.

Comment

Working...
                                X