Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the US substantially "freer" than most of Western Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

One very pertinent to where you live is Americans have mental maps of their cities, which areas are safe and which are not, which are for whites and which for coloureds and so on. How can you say you are free when you can't go past 13th street without taking your life in your hands? I remember very well getting detailed instructions on where not to go, and this was only a few blocks from the Whitehouse. It really made a deep impression on me - the capital of the free world is a city of fear, a city without real personal safety, a city where you can't walk the streets without watching your back.

This lack of personal freedom and safety and the consequences was brought out very well by Michael Moore in Bowling for Columbine - in Detroit its civil war and a third world kind of city divide. In Windsor, Canada, just across the river, people aren't even locking their doors at night!

So which is freer as a lived experience? The US or Canada? I dare say its Canada.
    Ahhh, you cuold have gone there.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

two US "freedoms" undermine all the others - unfettered freedom of speech and the right to bear arms.

While I maintain my right to own firearms, the right to bear arms is intended to refer to the National Guard.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

BTW, Australian cities certainly are vastly safer.

Tell that to a Lebanese kid trying to get to the beach...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I wanna go to the Gilmore Girls part of America, if it exists....
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Gilmore Girls

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Agree with Dino. Although to be fair, Europe is not monolithic in this regard.
              Indirectly, much of that freedom is lost in media concentration.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Yes, much of whatever freedom Europeans have is lost in media concentration. In the hands of the gov't. In the hands of Berlusconi, Vivendi, etc.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Read again. I didn't say that Europe wasn't affected, only that America was.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                    Hmmmm, well how about the gun laws and speech laws in Britain? Aren't they more stringent than the U.S.?
                    Europeans have the freedom not to be shot.

Comment

Eastern Europe is hell on wheels unless you have money or protection.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

dont think that america has the freest gun ownership laws - its switzerland, a country with 400,000 assault rifles in peoples houses, and unfettered access to all types of ammunition
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I want to get a gun.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Eastern Europe is hell on wheels unless you have money or protection.
                            What crap.
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

oh come one Saras - its all run by the mafia now - you never paid a bribe?

Comment

Of course I have, they'd take my drivers license away if I didn't pay half the official fine on the spot on numerous occasions

But otherwise, corruption is on par with European average, and better than some established EU countries (no names).

And mafia is dead/ on the run/ confessed and gotten religion, since about 1995-1997. Same for Estonia and Latvia, more or less.
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X