No announcement yet.

Church + Girlfriend problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you seeing things not there, BK? Are you all right?

call the funny farm!
    Seeing things differently yes, but not stuff that isn't there.

Huh? The bible does say "ignorance is bliss." What do you think Creationism is?
    Actually, it does say, 'it's the glory of God to conceal a matter,
    to reveal a matter, the glory of kings.'

Just take a look at the first passage I quoted of you, above. That's completely at odds with science.
    First of all, it isn't a quotation...

Not all of them. Darwin wasn't, Einstein wasn't. Some were, but the rest weren't. Some were able to reconcile two conflicting worldviews, others could adopt only one.
    True, but that doesn't make those scientists who can reconcile their faith as any less scientific then those who cannot.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Actually, while Darwin may have retained a belief in a deity, by the end of his life he couldn't reconcile his science with his religion, and further believed that his science disproved some of his society's Christian beliefs. He never said anything publically about this because of his wife's fervent Angicanism, but it's in his papers.
      I never said that they succeeded. But yes, it did cause him a lot of frustration, and he didn't have a clear answer without abandoning current religious theory.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I got an sms once, out of nowhere. From someone I do not know. (not trying to be superstitous about that).

It said:

"If I have to, I will go to hell to protect my right to believe what I want."

That's gonna be my new sig.
        be free

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          True, but that doesn't make those scientists who can reconcile their faith as any less scientific then those who cannot.
          For the most part, no.

Though I can foresee situations where some sort of discoveries or theoretical sytheses are going to force a difficult choice.

Even for those scientists who are Christians (or Muslims, etc.) they are not fudamentalists. They can't be.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not all of them. Darwin wasn't, Einstein wasn't. Some were, but the rest weren't. Some were able to reconcile two conflicting worldviews, others could adopt only one.
            The reason why scientists tend towards atheism/agnosticism is because we are use to being able to figure out the universe and understand it.

This doesn't mean that Christianity, or even more so religion in general, is conflicting with science. Rather, that the scientific mind is not adept at also being a religious mind.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Though I can foresee situations where some sort of discoveries or theoretical sytheses are going to force a difficult choice.
              I can't.

JM
              (Every discovery that would do it (like Time Travel) I also think is an impossibility)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
                I got an sms once, out of nowhere. From someone I do not know. (not trying to be superstitous about that).

It said:

"If I have to, I will go to hell to protect my right to believe what I want."

That's gonna be my new sig.
                I agree with this. And I think so does God, that is why He gives you the choice.

He, of course, wishes you would choose Him. Based upon what you said about that church, I don't think that it was aiding many people in doing this.

Jon Miller
                (not that I beleive in 'hell', 'hell' is just nothingness, an end)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  The reason why scientists tend towards atheism/agnosticism is because we are use to being able to figure out the universe and understand it.

This doesn't mean that Christianity, or even more so religion in general, is conflicting with science. Rather, that the scientific mind is not adept at also being a religious mind.
                  Well, the thing is science requiires naturalism as its foundation, which is at odds with any sort of religion. When you come down to this fudamental level science can't reconcile with any religion that has a supernatural component at all.

Then again many scientists do good work without thinking much about philosophical stuff.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Well, the thing is science requiires naturalism as its foundation, which is at odds with any sort of religion. When you come down to this fudamental level science can't reconcile with any religion that has a supernatural component at all.
                    Huh?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Huh?

JM
                      Good answer

Comment

(not that I beleive in 'hell', 'hell' is just nothingness, an end)
                        Oblivion

Comment

Science has nothing to say about supernatural or metaphysical concepts - the scientific method deals only with the natural universe and that which can tested by observation and experimentation. While religious concepts remain outside of this natural or physical domain, science cannot be used to prove or disprove them. It is unfortunate that science is brought into the religious-atheist debate - it is not a belief system but a tool and method for interpreting and understanding the natural world.

Having said that, I am an atheist - that is my personal belief (or lack of belief, perhaps)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim_Augustus

Science has nothing to say about supernatural or metaphysical concepts - the scientific method deals only with the natural universe and that which can tested by observation and experimentation. While religious concepts remain outside of this natural or physical domain, science cannot be used to prove or disprove them. It is unfortunate that science is brought into the religious-atheist debate - it is not a belief system but a tool and method for interpreting and understanding the natural world.

Having said that, I am an atheist - that is my personal belief (or lack of belief, perhaps)
                            I agree.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• It actually pisses me off, as a scientist, when it is misapplied.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• How can something be outside of the natural world???
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X