Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sn00py
    I got a question for ya..

How come this guy named Jesus was so incredibly intelligent/wise/amazing compared to everyone else that has EVER lived?

How come the story is so deep, that no other story has ever been deeper?

I guess this is why Jesusism (Yes, I made that up ) is so popular?
    Not at all. These are exclusive "within-the-system" arguments. Muslims don't cease to argue that a proof of the divine nature of the Quran is its "perfect poesy". Asking about the parameters employed to determine this "perfection", they'd say "because the Quran says so".

Analogically, unless you believe in Jesus and his role as son of God for the salvation of mankind, it's not more amazing than many other stories.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Dunno, this will prolly lead to a long and drawn out thread, old friend.

Show me another example where a man was crucified, left to die on the cross, and then buried after his crucifixion. Then after 3 days, the tomb is empty and that same man appears to the others in a form similar but different to how he looked before.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Plenty of a fairy stories like that or of a similar vein tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller

no..

why would it be?

you know Lewis and many others expect to find other life

JM
          Wouldn't it be a bit like God having a bit on the side, being unfaithful to the human race?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I got a question for ya..

How come this guy named Jesus was so incredibly intelligent/wise/amazing compared to everyone else that has EVER lived?
            well first of all he was Jewish, so he started with a big advantage
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Wouldn't it be a bit like God having a bit on the side, being unfaithful to the human race?
              If we can accept that Hes also G-d of the gentiles, why should we have a problem that Hes God of the Klingons?

'December 21 2001

Leonard Nimoy is not surprised that the Star Trek television series and movies that made him an icon of American popular culture are now the basis of religious studies, especially in his own faith, Judaism.

"There are strong Jewish concepts in Star Trek," says Nimoy, 70.

"Social justice, meritocracy and the idea of tikkun olam, the healing of the universe," says Nimoy. "It's a Star Trek argument."

Nimoy played the ultra-rational Mr. Spock, with trademark pointed ears, the child of one of popular culture's best-known mixed marriages....'
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Dunno, this will prolly lead to a long and drawn out thread, old friend.

Show me another example where a man was crucified, left to die on the cross, and then buried after his crucifixion. Then after 3 days, the tomb is empty and that same man appears to the others in a form similar but different to how he looked before.
                Well, I don't want to duplicate a story, but this seems to me not any more more thrilling than, say, Dracula.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  Dunno, this will prolly lead to a long and drawn out thread, old friend.

The method of execution isn't key here, but there are plenty of stories of such things. IIRC, the Osiris death and rebirth cult was the first. One of Pythagoras' followers did the same thing according to legend (although he is supposed to have let pepole think he died, while he actually hid in his tomb for a year, and then returned).
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It appears that Jesus of Nazareth did precisely little in advancing our collective knowledge.

Originally posted by Sn00py
                    How come the story is so deep, that no other story has ever been deeper?
                    Maybe you haven't heard of stories in the Middle East at around that time?

Death and rebirth is a staple in many myths. Virgin births aren't exactly rare, either.

Originally posted by Sn00py
                    I guess this is why Jesusism (Yes, I made that up ) is so popular?
                    Good marketing, I reckon.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      The method of execution isn't key here, but there are plenty of stories of such things. IIRC, the Osiris death and rebirth cult was the first. One of Pythagoras' followers did the same thing according to legend (although he is supposed to have let pepole think he died, while he actually hid in his tomb for a year, and then returned).
                      There's another religion, Zoroastrianism, in the region at about the same time, that has similar tales.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison

No?

SDAs expect their to be other 'people'.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I just wanted to mention that I finally told her, but it was not out of whim.

For many weeks, my knowledge of the world is being suppressed by christianity.

Imagine a balloon, the balloon is christianity, and knowledge is inside the balloon. Knowledge is continously being fed inside, but the balloon is trying its hardest to hold it, but is on the edge of exploding. It's at this point that I found myself in.

Just a quick history notes here, I have only been considered a christian (to myself) for approx 1 year, before this, I was heavily into understanding everything there is in this universe, christianity intrigued me, the spirit side intrigued me, but now that I have gone through all that, I understand what it is all really about, and I needed out. The stretch marks of the balloon is my stress and upcoming depression.

It's this stress and upcoming depression that my GF noticed every passing day, get worse and worse, she asked me what it was, I refused to tell her, eventually I blurted out why, she was cautious and interested, not at all angry.

2 days pass, and she becomes very frustrated and angry. I keep calm, as usual. Trying to explain to her my balloon analogy along many other things.

She finds no way to dispute what I say, so she gives up in tears.

Yesterday she says she can no longer be with me.

I got a bit angry and told her she's a fool for following so blindly to a simple sentence written in the bible, and said by stupid people who know little.

She has given up happiness, while I have gotten it back.

I find that, ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge on the scientific side can be even more blissful.
                          be free

Comment

• Damn.

Best wishes, mate.

Comment

• You have given up salvation, my son. Let not the devil and his balloon lead you astray (like in the French movie with a red balloon, I forget what it's called). But fear ye not! There is still hope for you. The good Lord will always wait for you with open arms. And when you return He shall forgive you and bring down such blessings that you will leap into his light! Then you will understand the happiness that can be found only with the Lord! Amen!
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• DaShi, these past few weeks I have learned a lot.

1. Never say "you know" based on feeling.

2. There is no difference between God "speaking" to you, and your natural feelings "speaking" to you.

3. Since humans can never truly know, I have found it better to say "screw it, I give up, God, you have made it too hard to believe in you, so if you want me to believe in you, you do it for me, because I cannot cope."

In doing number 3. I have not ruled out the possibility that there might be a God, but I allowed my mind to be open and free from the conformity of christianity.
                                be free

Comment

Working...
                                X