No announcement yet.

Church + Girlfriend problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bible instructs believers not to let anyone go.. to save everyone.

So accepting other's wills would go against what they are instructed to do.
    be free

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      I don't think a woman is going to marry a man just because he has stellar performance in bed.
      True, but it would certainly clinch the deal for me
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Snoopy, see I don't give a sh^t what religion has to say about it, but every person has to respect others' beliefs, no matter how controversial to his religion they are.

If a person who would otherwise be perfectly suited as a life long partner for other person (who is as suited) cannot live together with other due to the other's religion, that person is dumb, for it puts religion above goodwill of not only his own, but others (such as the partner).

There's no 'justification' to do it and if you claim that the religion itself is a justification, you're thinking plain illogical as then there would be so much completely opposite justifications..

Although I admit many people live by such rules.
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• I don't think a woman is going to marry a man just because he has stellar performance in bed.
          It's true, but many women actually fall in love with men they have good sex, provided other factors are not outright bad.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by binTravkin
            Hey, lotm, you just spelled 'God'!

pay me 50 bucks and I wont tell anyone
            "And of course Ive used many forbidden names in the above, for the sake of teaching ("le maan chinuch")"

Now if only you could manage to read a post the whole way through.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• The bible instructs believers not to let anyone go.. to save everyone.

So accepting other's wills would go against what they are instructed to do.
              Forcible conversions? No, we invite everyone into the church, but we must respect their choice if their will is to reject God.

Everyone has that free will, to either accept or reject God, and while we can encourage people to change their minds, we need to respect that this decision must in the end be made by them. We cannot force anyone to convert, and nor should we, since even such a forced conversion would not mean that there has been a change in the will.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• bin travkin:

You don't see difference between the situations, but there is.

Snoopy is not saying his gf to go to church or do anything else against her belief.

His gf is saying that he must go to church, or she would dump him, which is against Snoopy's belief.

So basically, while any of them has all justification to do how he wants with his beliefs, none of them has any justification to extend his beliefs unto other forcefully.

Do you agree?
                If you read what I said earlier, I said that snoopy himself has done wrong to his own conscience by choosing to go to church even though he does not believe, or agree in what they say. His girlfriend challenged him, but the truth is that he chose his love for his girlfriend over his dislike of her church.

I am specifically referring to her acting against her own conscience. I believe she would be acting against her own conscience in staying with someone who does not believe in the same thing as she does. She wants a husband who will go to church with her, and believes that this is something that should be expected. As such, it is just as wrong for her to compromise on this, as it is for Snoopy to go against his own convictions.

Now, I would disagree with you here about 'forcing' Snoopy to stay in the relationship. No one forced him to stay with her, he chose to be with her even given his dissatisfaction with her church.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Snoopy, see I don't give a sh^t what religion has to say about it, but every person has to respect others' beliefs, no matter how controversial to his religion they are.
                  Very true. But they are under no requirement to marry such a person.

If a person who would otherwise be perfectly suited as a life long partner for other person (who is as suited) cannot live together with other due to the other's religion, that person is dumb, for it puts religion above goodwill of not only his own, but others (such as the partner).
                  Dumb? One can exhibit perfect goodwill to others, and accept their freedom of conscience without marrying them, or taking them as their husband. She can still love snoopy, even if they are no longer together, she is not required to marry him out of a spirit of goodwill. There is no such conflict.

There's no 'justification' to do it and if you claim that the religion itself is a justification, you're thinking plain illogical as then there would be so much completely opposite justifications..
                  Think of it this way. Compatibility involves the way in which two people choose to live their lives. Now, if you accept that religion, if practiced, has an effect on the way in which people live their lives, then yes, it needs to be discussed and agreed upon well before two people get married. The reason why believers are supposed to get married to believers, is because they can support each other in their faith, and in how they live their life.

I don't agree with snoopy's girlfriend over giving you an ultimatum to either go to church or to stay with me. My reasoning is that it does no good to confine someone to church, they have to want and enjoy themselves if they go. However, I would still want to go to church with Snoopy as often as possible, and I would encourage him to figure out why he was so bothered by this particular church.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                    Aren't we allowed to day god anymore? When did that happen, what else have I missed?

Though I refuse to capitalise it.
                    Most bankers would refuse to capitalise this project. You have to weight a lifetime to get a return on your investment.... And we all know the danger of futures trading....
                    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

• binTravkin,

Your belief is that we must all accept each others beliefs. I agree with this too. But the conflict comes when I accept my gf's belief, and her belief is to save lives, which requires not accepting people's beliefs.
                      be free

Comment

• Just a thought, if we ever discover life on another planet, would this be a serious blow to God-believers?
                        be free

Comment

• Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                          Hells no it wouldn't. I mean, I don't have a system, but if I feel teeth, then I'll have no remorse giving her the taxi fare home.
                          Some people like teeth.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            Che, one of the essential parts of a cult is that they discourage interaction with those outside of the cult. I don't see any of that in what Snoopy says.

I do. She's willing to end her relationship with Snoopy, not if he doesn't believe in God or in Christ, but if he's not a member of her church. Many cults also encourage their members to go out and bring in new people. You can't exactly grow if you keep utterly to yourselves.

The primary distingushing characteristic of a cult is thought control, and this group is most definately practicing thought control.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
                              Just a thought, if we ever discover life on another planet, would this be a serious blow to God-believers?
                              no..

why would it be?

you know Lewis and many others expect to find other life

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                                Indirectly, yes... chances are that if a woman finds you stellar in bed, it's because she already feels like you're stellar in life. Sex is more about the connection you have with the person than pure technique.
                                Good point. That's how a woman looks at sex.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X