Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Serb

G-what?

Your army sucks, just face it. Iraq anyone?
    Only because once more, the Generals are not allow to run the show. Bush and Rumy are running this show.
    Bush and Rumy will not let the generals add more troops.
    You probley get better news than we are right now. When is the last time you heard that we had some B-1, 2, or 52 bomb the area. Or Tanks blow the area up. Or even an A-10 coming in and shooting the area up.
    No because Bush and Rumy will not allow it.

Comment

• Ah, the good ol" "If the Soldiers ran the war, we would have won!" bull.....

Does it ever get old?
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        Ah, the good ol" "If the Soldiers ran the war, we would have won!" bull.....

Does it ever get old?
        Tends to have a lot more backing in this case, as Rummie publically undercutted Army CoS Shinseki when he said we'd need 500,000 Americna and allied troops to "rapidly pacify Iraq" comes to mind. Then days afterwards announcing that Shinseki has a replacement coming.

Rummie was fixated on fighting a war with as little of our resources as possible (remember, the ground warstarted with less than what the final plan called for, because Rummie wanted a "rolling start"), and we're paying for it now. Boo Rummie!
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Great post, Lonestar. I've always thought that the whole Shinseki situation was shameful. It should receive more scrutiny than it has.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• On a side note, good job by the Canadian corporal in the latest attack. After the bomb went off he was disabled (legs) but still crawled over to apply tourniquets to the other two (or at least one of the two not clear) wounded soldiers during the critical period of bloodloss. Because of him they will probably live.

Also on a side note, does anyone know what the Cnd forces body armour status is?

I've heard Rummie is disallowing privately purchased body armour for US forces for some reason. Possible sweetheart deal with a cheaper supplier?
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker

I've heard Rummie is disallowing privately purchased body armour for US forces for some reason. Possible sweetheart deal with a cheaper supplier?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say soldiers were buying substandard armor and the DoD didn't want to be held accountable when they got shot.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lonestar

Tends to have a lot more backing in this case, as Rummie publically undercutted Army CoS Shinseki when he said we'd need 500,000 Americna and allied troops to "rapidly pacify Iraq" comes to mind. Then days afterwards announcing that Shinseki has a replacement coming.

Rummie was fixated on fighting a war with as little of our resources as possible (remember, the ground warstarted with less than what the final plan called for, because Rummie wanted a "rolling start"), and we're paying for it now. Boo Rummie!
                Last time I checked Myers went along with Rummy- I did not see any generals standing up for Shinseki.

And before this continues on fruitlessly, obviously Shinseki was right, and he was canned because his statements undermined some of the basic tenants of the pre-war policy by the Admin. when it came to selling the war- a slow buildup would have undermined the sense of imminent threat they were trying to push, and a large deployment would have made the coming costs of the war obvious politically, robbing the admin. of political support before they went forward with their little experiement.

THat does not make the old "Generals should run wars, not politicians" line any more valid today than it ever has been, ie. never.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

As satisfying as that sounds I would not recommend a massive retaliation. The immediate fallout would fall over Pakistan, India, and China making them very unhappy. The long term effects would be global. A measured response would be better (an eye for an eye, not 200 eyes for an eye).
                  If Iran was attacked without any surface bursts fallout probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. Cold war scenarios usually assumed both sides would attempt to maximise fallout but I doubt there would be any incentive to do so in a regional nuclear war.

Comment

• Re: Re: So when do we invade Iran?

Originally posted by Serb
                    Just do it.
                    Wonderful, an endorsement from Serb. We may need to re-think this.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

God bless Canada.

So dirty Yanks cheated you again, as they always do?

WTH you forget in this sh!thole? Get out of there, it's for your own good, really.
                      Uh, oh. He's on to us again.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

b) Who cares? "Their" casualty rate in Vietnam was about 60,000 - at least four times bigger than our casualty rate in Afghanistan.
                        It you came out to fight you'd have a different outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo
                          If Iran was attacked without any surface bursts fallout probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. Cold war scenarios usually assumed both sides would attempt to maximise fallout but I doubt there would be any incentive to do so in a regional nuclear war.
                          I remember the smoke and pollution from the Iraqi oilfield fires went a long ways. I suppose we'll have to do a test on a few selected sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

Last time I checked Myers went along with Rummy- I did not see any generals standing up for Shinseki.
                            I know. To live in the age of Epaminodas, where Generals tendered their resignation en masse when one of their own was screwed over like that. Imagine the ****storm if the JCS all resigned over that. I bet we either wouldn't be in Iraq, or the war would have gone very differently.

Comment

• Yes.... It wouild have been necessary to execute Admiral Kaine, wouldn't it?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X