No announcement yet.

Keeping up with the Jones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Quiznos beef dip is tasty - definitely a contender. I was originally thinking about a club sandwich. There's a place that makes a great one in the office complex across the street - freshly carved turkey right off a full bird, bacon, lettuce, tomato, ranch and Italian dressing on a toasted sub roll.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

yummm club-- I was in Vancouver Friday and got one at a DEli place there-- They put so much turkey on that you couldn't fit the thing in your mouth and the bacon was crisp , just the way I like it . . .
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
        I dread to think what it'll be like in 10 years to talk to the people I'm at uni with. Half of them will be in investment banking, making *huge* sums of money (though possibly after a couple of break-downs) and the other half will probably be earning ridiculous quantities in comapnies and consultancies. And then me, accepting government-level pay packets. Meh.

It sucks, I'm a materialist with a conscience. I can't stand the idea of working for a company who's primary motive is to make a profit, hence the government/NGO/ethical company thing. Yet I like having nice things. I spend a reasonable amount on clothes, going out, chocolate and generally enjoying myself, especially for a student.
        I feel your pain Drogue...alas I have always felt the need to make the 'right decision', however it certainly has not made for an easy life, either in terms of envy or employment situation/treatment...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

@ Rich
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            do not click that link!
            TOO LATE!

Comment

What's your problem now? Given my educational background I could have gone into a city job or something like that but decided to stay in science. Yeah, what a f**kwit, I know
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                What's your problem now? Given my educational background I could have gone into a city job or something like that but decided to stay in science. Yeah, what a f**kwit, I know
                Two dead ends.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You're not making sense.
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Poor Rich.

Comment

Anybody here who is out of college and says this doesn't wear on them over time is a lying sack or has a serious mj habit. I'm not particularly prone to envy, but it still gnaws at me somewhat. Also, you want to fit into what society expects of you and sometimes that includes certain material things -- this is just human nature.

Not that there aren't other, non-material ways to keep up with the Joneses. For instance, a particularly interesting life compensates well.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        Poor Rich.
                        You know Asher, you're a colossal *****. BTW, send my regards to Screech. I bet that's the noise he makes when you do him...
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Screech was sooo 10 years ago.

Comment

Anybody here who is out of college and says this doesn't wear on them over time is a lying sack or has a serious mj habit.
                            Option 3: they keep up well without really trying, and thus don't really notice it.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

For instance, a particularly interesting life compensates well.
                              Travel
                              Have sex with strangers
                              Have a strange hobby
                              Not be a gay canadian egotist
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Canadian-American egotist, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X