Canadian government to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starchild

Just to throw my 2p into the mix, I grew up in the States for nearly ten years and I'd take Canada or Western Europe over it anyday. Different strokes for different folks.

Thats the key. The US probably suits Ben's politics much better. After all with all them gays getting married, the destruction of Canadian society is just around the corner
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Given how diverse the US is geographically, it really depends on where in it you live.
      New York/New Jersey with nearly twice annual trips to Florida.

Oh, you're a lovely people on an individual level. It's just that on a society level, I find that Europe/Canada wins out.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

• I grew up in the States for nearly ten years and I'd take Canada or Western Europe over it anyday. Different strokes for different folks.
        Whereabouts?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The US probably suits Ben's politics much better. After all with all them gays getting married, the destruction of Canadian society is just around the corner
          No, not the primary reason. I was very happy when I stayed in Texas for the summer, and there's plenty of work.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Flubber:

(apologies to Kontiki, all these Canuck flags confuse me).

Very true. Whereas I was wrong about the Americans owing less, they still have much lower taxes then we do.
            I'm making 20000$ a year and I'm paying ~18% of my gross salary in income taxes (12% federal, 6% state). This does not include FICA contributions, as I'm ineligible for the programs it covers (medicare and SS). When I had jobs paying a similar amount in Quebec, the province with the highest provincial tax bill, I was paying approximately the same percentage of my gross salary.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• 20k USD for the both?

Comment

• 24 canadian for the other one.

Which works out to approximately the same thing.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• ah, wasn't clear. I think the differences kick in for the higher incomes moreso then the lower ones, which was the point you made earlier.

Comment

• Yes, Ben.

And theoretically, I should write down that I make 21500 now, with an extra 1500$ taken off as a "tax" to pay for my health insurance. And even with this health insurance it would still cost me hundreds of dollars to visit an emergency room. So if we calculate things this way, I pay ~25% of gross salary to cover the same things I was covered for in Canada with under 20%

Thanks, but no thanks. The Canadian government takes extra money from those who can afford it to provide basic services for the entire population. The US government, on the other hand, burns huge bundles of its tax money (which is, compared to the Canadian system, collected more heavily from the poorer parts of the population) on **** like invading Iraq.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Now Ben, could you please stop your wannabe Yank jerkfest so we can get back to the CanPol?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Here's what I see.

A Canadian working and earning a living in the US. Why work there if the pay is so horrible that you are worse off there then in Canada? At least in the US you don't need to worry about the Neverendum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          Here's what I see.

A Canadian working and earning a living in the US. Why work there if the pay is so horrible that you are worse off there then in Canada? At least in the US you don't need to worry about the Neverendum.
                          "Earning a living"?

Hah. Burger King, I'm getting an education. Nobody ever said that the US was all bad. Or that US graduate schools aren't top-notch.

You truly don't have a clue. My decision was not based on ****ing quality of life. Otherwise I wouldn't be in Baltimore ****ing Maryland, murder capital of the industrialised world. Heroin capital of the East Coast.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• But if anything, living here for two and a half years now has solidified my opinions on the dangers of the "American way". Unfettered economic individualism leads to economic inequality. Which leads to human beings living in hellholes while a block away there are million dollar estates.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Hah. Burger King, I'm getting an education. Nobody ever said that the US was all bad. Or that US graduate schools aren't top-notch.
                              And you get paid 20k a year while in your studies? Sounds like earning a living to me.

I just find it funny to hear you rail against the US, while you take advantages of the opportunities they offer you.

Which leads to human beings living in hellholes while a block away there are million dollar estates.
                              Yep, so different in Canada. Like joncha said earlier, it ain't a pretty picture in Vancouver. Businessmen walk the streets with hobos.

Comment

• Just for you, I think I'm going to start taking some shots of the ghettoes around town and posting them here.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X