Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian government to fall

Canada's government expected to fall Monday

Thursday, November 24, 2005 Posted: 1618 GMT (0018 HKT)

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- Opposition parties introduced a no-confidence motion on Thursday that is expected to topple Prime Minister Paul Martin's government and force an election campaign during the holidays.

Canada's three opposition party leaders say they will vote Monday to bring down Martin's minority government.

They claim the Liberal Party no longer has the moral authority to lead the nation, referring to a corruption scandal within the Liberal ranks. Martin hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing, but senior officials of his party have.

Conservative Party leader Stephen Harper said his party would join with the New Democrats and Bloc Quebecois parties to bring down the government after Martin rejected their demand to go to the polls after the Christmas holidays are over.

Harper has garnered enough opposition votes to bring down the minority government in a no-confidence vote in Parliament, launching a campaign that would overlap the Christmas-New Year season, though the actual voting day would likely be in January.

"This House has lost confidence in the government," Harper said.

The motion was tabled after a frantic week in Ottawa, where the government rushed to offer a cascade of policy announcements before its demise.

Martin's government fell into peril after it lost the support of the New Democratic Party. New Democrats leader Jack Layton -- whose support of Martin's scandal-plagued minority government earlier this year helped him escape early elections -- said he hadn't received enough assurances that the Liberal Party would crack down on the increased use of private health care in Canada.

Martin made a deal with Layton's leftist party last spring, pledging $3.6 billion in social spending and a promise to delay billions in corporate tax cuts. In return, the New Democrats propped up the Liberals in a confidence motion, providing the support of their 19 members for a House of Commons motion that they survived by a single vote.

Martin has promised to call an election within 30 days of the release of the second part of a report into a corruption scandal within his Liberal Party. The document is expected on February 1, likely prompting elections in the first week of April, a time of year that suits Canadians better than the bitterly cold and busy holiday season.

The last time a Canadian political campaign coincided with the holiday season was in 1979, when Joe Clark's minority Conservative government was toppled just weeks before Christmas. The vote was delayed until February, however, when Pierre Trudeau and the Liberals took back Parliament.

Recent polls have given the Liberals a slight lead over the Conservatives, with the NDP in third place nationally. Those same surveys suggest the Bloc would sweep the French-speaking province of Quebec, making a majority government unlikely no matter which party wins the most seats in the 308-member House of Commons.

The opposition is banking on the public's disgust with an ongoing Liberal Party corruption scandal. The first of two investigative reports, released two weeks ago, absolved Martin of any wrongdoing, but accused senior Liberal Party members of kickbacks and misspending tens of millions of dollars in public money targeted for a national unity program in Quebec.
    As a side note, Alberta Premier Ralph Klein predicted a Liberal Minority government again.

Canadians are cowards.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Most of the forum to not care.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hey, you don't see me trolling the 1000000000x "XX insults jews" or "50291th explosion this year in Israel" threads.

You deal with your ****ed up country, we'll deal with our considerably-less-****ed-up country. Deal?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You just hate me because my "insignificant country politics" thread does way better than yours.

Ok, so you just opened. STFU.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Canadian threads are always successful. Canadians are more educated and prolific than Israelis.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
            You just hate me because my "insignificant country politics" thread does way better than yours.

Ok, so you just opened. STFU.
            CanPol threads regularly get locked due to reaching the 500 post limit.

Sucker. Nobody gives a **** about Israel except Jews, fundamentalist Christians and Muslims, and none of them count.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              1000000000x "XX insults jews" or "50291th explosion this year in Israel" threads.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

CanPol threads regularly get locked due to reaching the 500 post limit.

and who posts in those?

right - canadians.

besides, I said - STFU.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Fark. I don't know how I'm supposed to vote for this ****. I'm not sure if I'll be in Montreal on election day or not.

6 weeks from Monday is the 2nd of January. They can't be serious, can they?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Fark. I don't know how I'm supposed to vote for this ****. I'm not sure if I'll be in Montreal on election day or not.
                      absentee ballot?

Comment

Yeah, but my absentee ballot might arrive in Baltimore while I'm in Montreal, and by the time I get back to Baltimore it might be too late to send it in.

If the election is held like on Jan. 9 I'm screwed (will probably be in Montreal from Dec. 23-Jan.8)
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

CRazy Canadiand actually having a minority government- can't the other parties get teir act together? And ignore the conservatives, whom no one should like, the ****ers....
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Sounds okay to me. Let's vote.

I'd like to keep Martin in there, myself, because he sucks a lot less than everyone else.

Hoorah for Democracy!
                            www.devioustyrant.com

Comment

I think one of the more compelling questions is is this going to be Harper's last stand? I'm pretty confident in predicting another Liberal minority government, which will mean Harper has A) forced an election that will serve no purpose B) failed to lead the Conservatives to victory twice in the face of a major scandal by the Liberals. And if Harper does go, what's next for the Conservatives?
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X