• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    The canadian health care system needs huge overhauls
    What?

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
      proposing to speak for us from a coffee counter in Toronto (not having worked up the nerve to venture forth into those lands where heathens reside; AKA outside of the GTA)
      The only things outside the GTA are bears and snow.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

• ASher-- I hope your dad will be ok
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The big news today

Apparently Harper will announce a plan to reduce the GST.

This is smart politics. It hits his key theme of tax cuts on a tax we see every single day PLUS it reminds people that the Liberals were elected back in 93 promising to scrap the GST and yet many surplus years later, its still there unchanged from what the Conservatives established.

This is the type of announcvement I expected on day 1.

meanwhile the Liberals are announcing a few "star candidates". I will say this, they do manage to attract a lot of high profile folks. I saw Marc garneau on Canada AM-- he sounds very well-spoken and is untainted by the prior Liberal scandals
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

You need to read what he actually said and not the inflammatory headline. Harper promised some very significant things. First of all, he promised to have a free vote in parliament, including his cabinet, something that the vaunted liberal government was unwilling to do, even given the nature of a the issue. Even if you support gay marraige, then surely you also support the right of parliament to hold a free vote on the issue. However, I strongly suspect that those who support gay marriage, don't believe that there should be any such thing as a free vote, since that means they might lose.

Secondly, he promised that those who have been married, will retain their certificates. No rolling back the clock. I don't see how anyone who believes in a democracy that represents the will of the people should oppose either move by Harper.
            Almost no bills are free votes. So there is no democracy, if that is your criteria.

The lack of a free vote is to give MPs who may live in rural areas an excuse. It is realpolitik. It happens all the time.
            Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

The differences in earnings between the two countries was largest for workers at the top of the earnings distribution. The difference at the median - the middle point at which half the population has higher earnings and half lower - was smaller (13.6%). The median earnings of American workers were $27,500 in 1997, compared with $24,200 in Canada.
              So what is the median cost for private healthcare in the US?

Comment

It says total public debt, making no difference between federal and the states.
                Total public debt of the US FEDERAL TREASURY.

Which does not include state debt, municipal debentures, etc.

Provincial debt is a red herring.

US is more indebted than Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Welcome to a land of a living Constitution and the Supremacy of Parliament.
                  Funny, I usually here the opposite, about the arrogance of the SC "legislating" from the bench. When all they are doing is waving the Constitution in front of the Parliament.

I actually like the system. There are checks and balances on both powers. Checks and balances are a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Viking

Total public debt of the US FEDERAL TREASURY.

I still say that total overal debt is less a measure of current economic situation than it is one of HISTORICAL economic situation.

Assessing the countries right now . . . The US has huge deficits while Canada runs moderate surpluses. The US enjoys its lower tax rates at the cost of creating a huge indebtedness for their children to pay off.

Comment

The best thing about minority governments is the government tends to do less. And the less government tends to do, the less they tend to screw it up.
                      I agree with Asher.

Comment

I just spent 6 and a half hours waiting with my dad at the hospital to see a doctor. And they told us we're lucky it wasn't a busy night. He had surgery on his hernia this morning, and at 8pm tonight he slumped over, had a seizure, and then fainted. Scared the **** out of me.
                        My aunt had a medical problem when visting in Winnipeg, she had an excellent experience with the health care system there. When she returned home to Calgary she had experiences similar to what you are talking about, so it would seem to depend on what province you live in. Which would make sense, since health care is a provincial responsibility.
                        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I just spent 6 and a half hours waiting with my dad at the hospital to see a doctor. And they told us we're lucky it wasn't a busy night. He had surgery on his hernia this morning, and at 8pm tonight he slumped over, had a seizure, and then fainted. Scared the **** out of me.
                          Wow.. 6 hours. I have never had a wait that long. Last time I was in emergency it was about approx an hour. And the place seemed busy to me.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope it all turns out okay. My Dad is going for angioplasty on Friday. And when he gets that all fixed, he has to go get treatment for cancer in the prostate.

Comment

• This is the type of announcvement I expected on day 1.
                            It's a long campaign.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Total public debt of the US FEDERAL TREASURY.

Again, I believe this number includes the state debt. The only numbers I have seen pegging the US state debt is only about 1 and a half trillion dollars. So in order to compare apples to oranges, you have to include provincial debt.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• So what is the median cost for private healthcare in the US?
                                Gee, I'd rather have care then have to wait a year or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X