Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obvious losing strategy?! They almost WON, Dan!

If it wasn't for Bush's herculean effort, they would have.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm not going to argue with Dan about this, because it's like arguing with a wall.

I'm just happy that they did so well, it gets the school more attention, which is Pat Hill's intention all along. This only helps FSU's program and for that I am happy.

Fresno had a good strategy, just a poor execution. Too many turn overs.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

They almost WON, Dan!
        No, they really didn't. They lost by 8 points.

They played a great game, don't get me wrong. But USC was in control the second half. Always a step ahead.
        Last edited by DanS; November 21, 2005, 11:50.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Fresno had a good strategy, just a poor execution. Too many turn overs.
          The strategy was to outshoot USC. Maybe that gave Fresno State the best chance to win with the players at their disposal (we would have to evaluate this closely), but generically it's a losing strategy against USC. That's why Notre Dame did not choose it, for instance, even though Notre Dame has a great offense.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Let me say once again that Fresno State played a great game. I'm not trying to denigrate the team. Lots of respect for hanging in there. My constructive criticism is with the strategy only. The interceptions go with the territory when you pass so much -- i.e., it's a downside of the strategy. The QB played one hell of a game and it's unfair to put the loss on his shoulders predominately.

Also, lots of respect for choosing to play a tough team rather than going up against an inferior opponent, as others try to do all the time. This is an excellent path to take for the Fresno State football program, although it's a path not taken often.
            Last edited by DanS; November 21, 2005, 12:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              No, they really didn't. They lost by 8 points.

They played a great game, don't get me wrong. But USC was in control the second half. Always a step ahead.

Japher is right.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Maybe that gave Fresno State the best chance to win
                which makes it the best strategy...
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't believe it gave Fresno State the best chance to win. Let's look at it this way. If before the game somebody told you that USC and Fresno State got into a shootout, who would you have expected to win?

Comment

You said maybe it did...

Point is Pat Hill thought it was the best strategy. Now, what Hill wanted out the game may not of been a win, but to highlight his players so they could get into the pros so that more HS allstars from his recruiting area would want to go to FSU. His recruiting area includes L.A. IMO, FSU has a better defense than an offense. Perhaps he should of tried to keep his offense on the field more (which would of kept the turn overs under control), but he didn't.

I'm not going to question Pat Hill's strategy, because he looks at the whole picture. He looks at the program, which just bought the basketball team a nice new stadium. He looks at turning out more #1 picks and first round draft picks.

Really, for me to brag about Fresno St., they should of beat Oregon.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

• If before the game somebody told you that USC and Fresno State got into a shootout, who would you have expected to win?
                      I would of said it would turn out the way it did. USC has a better running game, and Pinegar has broken many of Carr's records this year. I wouldn't underestimate Pinegar, nor do I think this loss does anything to pin him as any lesser of a QB to go head to head against the #1 team and stand a chance.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

• You said maybe it did...
                        Well, it was rhetorical.

Now, what Hill wanted out the game may not of been a win, but to highlight his players so they could get into the pros so that more HS allstars from his recruiting area would want to go to FSU.
                        That's possible, I guess. But this is Monday morning, and I can be forgiven for being a Monday morning coach.

Let's just put the question clearly: Do you believe getting into a shootout with USC would be Fresno State's best chance for victory? I note that ND only had 2.9 yards a carry against USC -- much worse than Fresno State's average of 3.4 yards a carry.

Edit: OK, then I guess you concede the point?
                        Last edited by DanS; November 21, 2005, 13:44.

Comment

• Maybe Ark tried the shoot-out strategy, as well, against USC, just executed more poorly then Fresno State did.

Comment

• Do you believe getting into a shootout with USC would be Fresno State's best chance for victory?

Yes. After all, they almost won the game.

Comment

• I think Japher already put his finger on it...

IMO, FSU has a better defense than an offense. Perhaps he should of tried to keep his offense on the field more (which would of kept the turn overs under control), but he didn't.

Comment

• I think if Fresno played more ball control, they would have lost by more. It is hard for a team playing ball control to suddenly air it out. When USC goes on their patented 2nd half run, you have to stay with them. You can't just hope to run the clock down.

Remember, USC's lowest point total of the season is 34 points against Notre Dame.

Comment

Working...
                                X