No announcement yet.

I don't understand high-end wristwatches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my ~175$ G-Shock for my 18th birthday. That's also more or less my upper limit on spending money on watches.
    It was a good buy. It's reliable, protected like a tank(and slightly heavy as a result) and looks cool.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

For a manly man, it's best to wear jewelry that nobody describes as jewelry. I guess it relies on one of those foibles of human nature.

Maybe other products just haven't pitched themselves to men in quite the same effective manner as the big watchmakers. At a minimum, watches have been sold for an awful long time, and therefore have a head start. People don't wear cuff links too much any more, but those can still look good and are masculine. Tie clips are out of style. Snuff boxes are well past their prime.

Then you have suits, the quality for which, as you say, varies pretty strictly by price, at least to the $1,000 level (I don't know if a $2,000 suit is better than a $1,000 suit, because I haven't worn a $2,000 suit).
      Last edited by DanS; October 9, 2005, 04:44.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hey don't degrade our snuff, snuff boxes will never go out of style and the lousy european union can take our lives but they can never take our snuff!!!
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

well not all women like to wear jewlery, I can actually say i have one necklace with a pendant that tubers has the other half to on his chain, one set of rings my weddng rings and one watch that cost 40 bucks that i dont wear anymore cause of my job. When i scrub in for surgery i have to take the rings and watch off and its a pain in the ass witht the watch to keep taking on and off. So most of the time like on weekends I forget about having the watch and dont wear it.
          As far as the purse for the ladies i guess you can compare that with you guys need for the biggest baddest, fastest computer on the market.
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
            As far as the purse for the ladies i guess you can compare that with you guys need for the biggest baddest, fastest computer on the market.
            I object!

The fastest computer on the market is immensely useful! With it, you can play Doom3 with 268 fps instead of 193! Can't you understand how radical the difference is?!

Tsk, women
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Actually, in the case of Doom 3 it's hardly that. If you ain't got the fastest one, you got jack.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Don't ask me, I never play Doom3, because I tend to play good games
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Sorry guys Must of went a bit crazy for a brief second Dont know what I was thinking, Of course the computer is in no comparison to a purse. Id surly pay more for a pc then a purse, oh wait i did when i bought my laptop Course then again i dont know what doom 3 is.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

Oooohhhhh, Mrs T. Did yoiu see the thread on the UNICEF Smurf bombing commercial? Your choice of a new avatar is somewhat ironic.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

It's from the Mafia game in Other Games. Ironically, in the ad everyone but Baby Smurf dies, and Baby was killed by the mafia long ago.

Comment

Actually, the smurfs are currently getting massacred in the Other Games forum (a mafia game is occuring there, with Smurfs killing each other with glee )

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                          Oooohhhhh, Mrs T. Did yoiu see the thread on the UNICEF Smurf bombing commercial? Your choice of a new avatar is somewhat ironic.
                          No i havent read the thread, the guys are right the avatar is from the mafia game. Once the mafia kills me it will change. It is ironic that the mafia is named the smurfs wonder if the gm had inside info??

Comment

I'm confused by this, too. I like watches as much as the next guy, and maybe more so. At any given time, I own several, such as a work watch, a dress watch, etc. And I typically have my eye on several others. But even if I had the money, I just don't think I could bring myself to spend thousands on a watch. A couple of hundred, maybe, but that'd have to be the limit. I see watches and go "man, I like that watch!" Then I see the price. "But I don't like it that much!"

Comment

I suppose if you have millions of dollars several thousand is nothing. Kinda like a couple of bucks to us.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't understand it but frankly I don't need to. What's the point of making good coin if you can't buy something stupid and frivolous for someone you love??

Flubber. These single guys will all learn. Eventually.
                                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X