• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tingkai
    It's all a game.
    The only way to win is not to play.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• Ben, that's a rather self-negative way to see it. If you have friends it's also fun to play and not always win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        So you spend money to show them you love them?

as they other guys said I am not spending money to show them i love them. I spend onthem when i can afford and occasions that they deserve something that the want. If i cant afford that week i always do something that is expected of me. For example I have volley bal and foot ball practices for my two young ones. Even if their dad goes I will go to show my love and support. Like Mrs Harley I will cook something they really like when they ask. Except I know how to cook so it isnt real hard on me. as for tuber he works hard to and i never tell him that he cant not buy soemthing for himself unless we dont have the mone right at that moment, if he can wait till the next week when i get paid again i will allot for that money he wants to spend. So it balances in the end.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
          For all the indignant science geeks here, realize it goes both ways. I'd kill myself before I worked in a research lab or similar type environment. To each their own.
          w3rd
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
            Even if you can afford lots of luxuries, IMHO the little things are still very very important
            I completely agree with doing the little things.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• On the "doing the little things and spending money" issue, I don't think that spending tons of money, in and of itself, shows the recipient that we love them. For my wife, what's important is that I show her that I've been paying attention. I can't deny, however, that showing her that frequently involves some expenditure. What's imporant is getting her something that she wants, not something she needs, not something expensive. I know better than to get her a new clothes dryer or a galactic conquest game . . .

Comment

• The best way is to make her things.

First of all, these will be unique items. Nobody else will have anything identical. Not only that, you are also sending the message "you are unique."

Secondly, spend time to make things shows that she (or he) is always on your mind. You will spend far more time making a ring than buying one.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• My wife likes me to do things for her. They always say it's not the gift but the thought that counts, that's BS... it's the time you spent getting her the gift that counts. The more time you put into something the more they are going to appreciate it, even if the gift, item, outcome is cheap and tacky.

One way to put time into a cheap present or outcome is to exaggerate the offering. Like have it be something they have to figure out.

As for showing her she is always on your mind; random gifts. I use to work for a guy who would get his wife something every month, and would ensure that he did by randomly picking a day the month before and putting a reminder to himself on Outlook calender. Also, he signed up with FTD to remind him of important "holidays". Very smart.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                    My wife likes me to do things for her. They always say it's not the gift but the thought that counts, that's BS... it's the time you spent getting her the gift that counts. The more time you put into something the more they are going to appreciate it, even if the gift, item, outcome is cheap and tacky.

One way to put time into a cheap present or outcome is to exaggerate the offering. Like have it be something they have to figure out.

As for showing her she is always on your mind; random gifts. I use to work for a guy who would get his wife something every month, and would ensure that he did by randomly picking a day the month before and putting a reminder to himself on Outlook calender. Also, he signed up with FTD to remind him of important "holidays". Very smart.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• Davout sighting!

How are you doing?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Reference always purchasing the little things, and the occasional big thing when it's on this phenominal markdown - it can also bail your a** out when you've just worked a double quick turnaround/16-24 16-24 off 8 hours 8-4 off 8 hours 12mid-8AM two weeks in a row. Your calendar tells you - it's that day (you are so fried you don't even know what day of the week it is) - and you sneak into your present stash and pick something out.

Since everything in it was with her in mind, you'll always have something she likes. Plus, you can watch for bargains all year around, and as long as she is not into high fashion, you can get her things you normally couldn't afford. That both surprises the heck out of her, especially when she knows you won't overspend the budget which means you did some eagle-eyed bargain hunting with her in mind, and it's extra special because she knows the effort involved. Double whammy, so to speak.
                        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Its hard to shop for tubes he dont really like anything but games and those are all expensive. Me i am easy to shopfor dont want for anything. If i need something i just go get it and tell him he got it for me. I dont care for flowers cause they is a waste of money cause they are gonna die, I dont like choclate so thats out. I dont hold all holidays special for me. Hell i dont even go shopping for new clothes cause I hate to shop. beside i wear scrubs most of the time and if i am not wearing those its old jeans and a tee.
                          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Well, you could model some lingerie for Tubes - you do know how to do that, don't you? Throw it on the floor, because if it does it's job that's where it will be in thirty seconds.
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• I find wrist-watches unconfortable, I use a nice pocket-watch I got for my 14th birthday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                                I dont care for flowers cause they is a waste of money cause they are gonna die, I dont like choclate so thats out.
                                What about potted plants, such as mini rosebushes?

Comment

Working...
                                X